DRZ-400S vs WR250R

Ok - I know there's been another thread on this, but, different rider, same question.........

Never had a non-street bike before, now I live in the mountains, with forestry roads at my doorstep, thinkin' I'll ride 30 backroads/70 gravel roads.

Street bikes in the 80's - Suzuki GS450, Honda V45 Sabre and H-D XR1000 - loved 'em all for different reasons.

Today, I'm 6ft, 220 lbs, mid 50's and looking for a back road cruiser - in past years, I've usually drifted to the top of my chosen sport, but, honestly, I think I'll just stay a newb at this....I'm gonna leave my bike stock...my annual roost will barely fill a 5 gallon bucket...I probably won't make modifications, won't do any true dirt riding....

The WR250R is a newer design, lighter, FI. The DRZ is a..ummm..a mature technology, but with all kinds of performance upgrades etc.

One thing in the DRZ's favor is this forum....I've been impressed with the technology sharing and lack of drama queens....

Whadaya think ?.....I'm still leaning towards a DRZ..........

Ok, I'll go first. Get the DRZ. You won't be sorry. Especially at 220 lbs it would be the better choice. Even without mods, it goes pretty good.

:thumbsup:

db

I think the support and knowledge on this site makes it easier to enjoy the DRZ than almost any other bike. Made my choice much easier! :thumbsup: I will also be riding the back roads and gravel logging roads more than almost anything. Sure do love rural Oregon for some good riding! :ride: Good luck with whatever you chose.

i've ridden both and own a DRZ. The DRZ has a heap more poke than the WRR. I suspect yamaha will be bringing out a WR450R in a year of so if the 250 sells ok. It will be my adventure riding choice when that happens but until then the DRZ will have to do.

"leave my next bike stock":bonk: ,how many times have i heard that. no chance dude............u will get the bug for real dirt riding, then the "what if i did this mod?" have fun!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

"leave my next bike stock":bonk: ,how many times have i heard that. no chance dude............u will get the bug for real dirt riding, then the "what if i did this mod?" have fun!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Hehe - you may be right...but then again, I owned an '05 VW R32 for 2 years, and spent a total of $0.99 on mods from a wine making store - a plastic siphon clip to prevent the exhaust system from gettin' quiet below 40 mph. *grin*

Get the DRZ. At your size you can use the extra torque, and the weight difference between the 2 bikes is negligible (15 pounds). Do the 3x3 mod (free) and rejet it w/ a James Dean kit. You'll have $75 in it, but it will run like it should from the factory (much, much better). Welcome to ThumperTalk. Hope we see more of you around...w/ a DRZ. :thumbsup:

Really depends on the rider and being a 6 ft / 220 lbs guy I think the DRZ would be a better fit but 6 months from now I might say get a WR450X...

Of the two I'd opt for the DR-Z as a better tool for the job requirements listed.

However, if I were looking at doing what you say then I'd be looking real hard at the KLR. The DR-Z is the better dirt bike, but it's more "dirtbike" than you need to run forest roads. The KLR is a bit more comfortable as the hours go by unless you're running routes that require you to wrestle with the bike.

Of the two I'd opt for the DR-Z as a better tool for the job requirements listed.

However, if I were looking at doing what you say then I'd be looking real hard at the KLR. The DR-Z is the better dirt bike, but it's more "dirtbike" than you need to run forest roads. The KLR is a bit more comfortable as the hours go by unless you're running routes that require you to wrestle with the bike.

Yeah..I've checked the specs on the KLR, definitely more streetworthy. I suspect though, that as I ride more, I'm gonna drift more towards dirt than longer trips on blacktop. I'm still an active whitewater kayaker, so when I go on a trip, my boats have to come along too.....I own a '95 VW Eurovan Camper, and I think, with seats removed a DRZ will fit inside, boats on top, plus, I can pop the top and sleep up there....So, I'm thinkin' the DRZ will work better for my as yet unknown future riding....(my butt will hate me for this decision, with the kayaking, it's the feet that are always pissed off *grin*)

The WR250R is a 250. The DRZ400 S/E is a 400.

250 < 400.

Is there anything else needing explanation? :thumbsup:

:ride:

What they all said :thumbsup: Get a DRZ. I am 44 and have a new 400E. Dirt only, but really just following my son around, no motorcross heroics. It is a ton of fun, now that I have rejetted and piped, will wheel stand at will in 2nd, but also just pull all day. reliable and fast enough to scare me from time to time :ride:

I'd say the DRZ would be perfect for your riding needs. No matter what anyone tells you, leave the stock gearing alone. I think the rejet and airbox-ectomy are worthwhile mods for anyone, as well as larger gas tank and basic protection (radiator guards, sidecase covers, and barkbusters at a minimum). I'm about your size and find the DRZ to have very good power, especially compared to a non-racebred 250 like the new WR250X. The suspension and brake components are top-notch as well. The WR250X would probably be a little better as a dirtbike, but worse at everything else IMO.

I'm gonna take the contrarian stance here. If I were looking for a do it all bike (and I always am cause I've ridden, had or have almost all of them) I'd be extremely interested in the WRR. The FI, 6-speed, great suspension, improved mileage, higher build quality, and lower insurance rates make it a better buy FOR ME. The guys who have ridden them are saying it competes much moreso with the 400 class than the 250 class bikes. Clearly better offroad than they DRZ and equivalent onroad due to less strain on the 6-speed. If your looking to wring somethings neck - probably like the DRZ better cause it's got a bigger neck to wring. BTW I own a DRZE.

djchan has a good point, and I'd be interested to here some more comments from people who have extensively ridden both. I'm willing to bet it's a better bike offroad just because it's a bit lighter and 250cc can be less of a handful offroad, and also because of the shorter (more useable) 1st and 2nd gears. I wonder how much weaker the motor is onroad though. I've ridden my friend's KLX250S before, and the power was fine offroad, but really sucked onroad compared to my DRZ. I imagine the WR250R is similar, but I'll await some comments from those who have ridden both...