Sign in to follow this  

Airfilter

I was just wondering if i could clean my airfilter with something other then filter cleaner mainly because i am out, and have to find some other way to clean it so, i really need the help

I was just wondering if i could clean my airfilter with something other then filter cleaner mainly because i am out, and have to find some other way to clean it so, i really need the help

Gasoline or mineral spirits, then use soap and water. Then let dry and spray with oil.:thumbsup:

Don't use gas. Gas will degrade the filter foam and glue.

I personally use Parts cleaning solvent (mineral spirits are great also) for the first stage of cleaning. The second stage I use soap and warm water (tide laundry detergent). Then rinse out with water.

i have used gas since i got my bike and the filter still looks new. the glue is still good, i think soap and water are a huge waste of time but thats just me. my airfilter only has see gas and oil and thats it!

I just cleaned a filter tonight with Castrol Super Clean (purple degreaser...worked very well

You can use gas, I've used it for years & never really had problems. I am now using mineral spirits: cuts like gas, but no smell & not as strong.

On this topic... I use a $7 can every time I clean my filter. I can't keep doing that nearly every ride. How do you keep cleaning the filter without throwing away money?

You use a full can for 1 filter???

Mine lasts like 5 filter changes at least

i have used gas since i got my bike and the filter still looks new. the glue is still good, i think soap and water are a huge waste of time but thats just me. my airfilter only has see gas and oil and thats it!

So do you wash your bike in gas when its dirty ?? :thumbsup:

lol. He washes it at the gas station. Just puts in 10 bucks and starts hosing it down with 91.:rant::lol: dont drop a match.:ride:

you go ahead and use whatever you want......i know whats cheap and what works

you go ahead and use whatever you want......i know whats cheap and what works

I was taught to clean airfilters with gas since I was a wee lad. Its hard to call it cheap any longer,but cheaper then a whole can of filter cleaner. My Pops taught me to clean filters this way and to wash it in some little bit of soap and water just for that extra clean soft feeling. I used some old keresene the other day and it worked really well also. Eitherway keep that thing clean. If it takes a whole can of spray to clean a filter then you maybe waiting to long inbetween cleanings. I have purchased many of used bike that took a hole can of cleaner to clean up,usually they fall apart.:thumbsup:

I was taught to clean airfilters with gas since I was a wee lad. Its hard to call it cheap any longer,but cheaper then a whole can of filter cleaner. My Pops taught me to clean filters this way and to wash it in some little bit of soap and water just for that extra clean soft feeling. I used some old keresene the other day and it worked really well also. Eitherway keep that thing clean. If it takes a whole can of spray to clean a filter then you maybe waiting to long inbetween cleanings. I have purchased many of used bike that took a hole can of cleaner to clean up,usually they fall apart.:thumbsup:

Its not the dirt that doesn't want to come off, its the filter oil. Maybe I use too much, but it seems to me that the PJ1 spray on stuff is just really tacky. I've always used PJ1 stuff, and it seems like tacky is good to catch dirt, but its just a pain to clean off. Same as their chain lube, it makes a mess, but works well.

I've heard before of somebody who used a bucket of Kerosene and washed his filter in it every time, let the dirt settle to the bottom and just kept re-using it for a long time. Anybody do this?

Its not the dirt that doesn't want to come off, its the filter oil. Maybe I use too much, but it seems to me that the PJ1 spray on stuff is just really tacky. I've always used PJ1 stuff, and it seems like tacky is good to catch dirt, but its just a pain to clean off. Same as their chain lube, it makes a mess, but works well.

I've heard before of somebody who used a bucket of Kerosene and washed his filter in it every time, let the dirt settle to the bottom and just kept re-using it for a long time. Anybody do this?

Yes, I do it, except, I use mineral spirits (no smell). I have a 5 gal bucket with lid. Just wash in the bucket & replace the lid afterwards. Works well.