Sign in to follow this  

Got Wheelies?

Good evening everyone,

Just to give you a little background, prior to my lovely new DR650, my daily driver was a Yamaha R1. I still rode both throughout the week:busted:

Don't get me wrong, I love my new thumper but I was hoping the front end would come up a bit easier. I'd hate to tweak the gearing and lose any top end for the limited freeway riding I do.

What gives:excuseme: Maybe it's just time to give up my childhood dream of becoming the wheelie king:applause:

Many thanks,

Mark

Don't give up. You just have to find where the sweet torque/power spot is. No need for high revs. Lowering to a 14 tooth front gear is real helpful, it wont hurt you on the highway much at all.

I can still go 80mph or more if I need to with a 14 tooth, I also get 47mpg with that gear.

BTW, I did some fun wheelies with the 15 tooth gear, it just wasn't as easy.

two words= Flat-slide

+1 on the flat slide..... :thumbsup:

Good evening everyone,

Just to give you a little background, prior to my lovely new DR650, my daily driver was a Yamaha R1. I still rode both throughout the week:busted:

Don't get me wrong, I love my new thumper but I was hoping the front end would come up a bit easier. I'd hate to tweak the gearing and lose any top end for the limited freeway riding I do.

What gives:excuseme: Maybe it's just time to give up my childhood dream of becoming the wheelie king:applause:

Many thanks,

Mark

Dont give up kid, wheelies on this are different than your R1, this is gonna need a little finesse. I have stock gearing and dont even bother with first gear when wheelieing, I think its just trouble, I bring it up in 2nd right to the balance point then click 3rd and let the motor do its job , if everything falls into place I'm settin the front wheel down easy with a shift to 5th.

Just be careful , it takes alittle while to get the hang of it. I always feel better with more speed in wheelies, you dont seem to be on the ragged edge that way, and usually this motor has enough engine braking to keep you out of trouble. Your gonna feel the sweet spot when you hit it, then its just try to keep your liscence in your back pocket , not in an officers hand !!!

Good evening everyone,

Many thanks,

Mark

To get your thumper to run like a thumper a mechanical slide carb is required. Not that you can't get the DR to wheelie with the BST... it's just not gonna happen with stock jetting and air box.... at least not simple wrist twist wheelies anyway.

With 14/42 gearing and the Dynojet kit it comes up fairly easy with a roll-on. With a mechanical slide carb it will just come up period. Don't worry about top end and your current gearing. Your engine can't pull the 15/42 gearing to the rev limiter anyway as it is set-up. I've had my bike at well over 100 mph indicated with 14/42 gearing many times and have never hit the rev limiter.

You are right in your disapointment though.... it's a shame that a 650cc thumper can't do simple roll-on wheelies without Jungle Jim heroics with the bars and clutch. :ride: I fully expect... no, I demand to be able to take off from a stop letting the clutch out at very low RPM and twisting the throttle to lift the front end with no bar yanking or sliding your *ss back by the tail light. It's a thumper riders right! :thumbsup:

My 650 respects my right to roll-on wheelies in 1st & 2nd gears.

Ample power, nimbleness, and good fuel economy. Everytime I ride this bike I consider it a pure pleasure!

Rob, you've had your DR over 100mph with those Kings tires! You're either real brave or real crazy!

You should be able to clutch up first and second with the bike in stock form.

Rob, you've had your DR over 100mph with those Kings tires! You're either real brave or real crazy!

You are correct sir. I resemble those remarks. :thumbsup: Never had an issue with the Kings at speed. Of course they are not rated for continuous high speeds... just like the rider on my DR with a stock seat. :ride:

Thanks gentlemen, I feel better now:thumbsup:

Guess I've got some shopping to do, I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks,

Mark