GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Another fork question: Pushing down on forks, seem to "grab" about the first 2 inches

Posted a similar question a week ago and got a few informational tips, but nothing has worked. What's happening (not sure if this is really even a problem) is when I slowly push down on the front forks with front brake on, they seem to want to "grab" about the first 2 inches and do not re-bound back unless I compress beyond th 2 inches. I tried a few times to re-align wheel, loosen triple clamps, etc. Nothing seems to make a change? Should I not worry about it? Or will I get a smoother ride if they slid up and down "like a greased pig" Ideas?

Have you changed the oil? because if you haven't this is the first thing that I would do. Old oil isn't good for wear on components or the performance of the suspension parts. You should change fork/shock oil every 20-25 hrs for top performance, but I wouldn't let it go any more than double that.

so "old" fork oil can cause the forks to grab the first few inches when compressed slowly with front brake pulled?

I wouldn't say that the oil is the problem. I have exactly the same issue, and everybody I know with CRF's has the same problems, worth saying is maybe that they're all 04s. Maybe it's something with the fork seals. But I changed oil, and all seals and stuff in the fork with no change.

I live with it, it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't do anything performancewise.

my 04, and my friends 04 does the same thing. I asked mechanic out at my local track and he said not to worry about it