Sign in to follow this  

newbie w/o a bike

i've been a member for less than a week, but im friggin interested in riding. so i've been goin round town trying to find some decent bikes. theres one kawasucki/vespa dealer that has one use '02 WR250F for $3500. Pshhhh. i've never ridin a bike so im not sure what to look for when kickin tires. but i got on here from a friends reccomendation and its helped alot. since reading on here i would say a decent '02 wouldn't go for more than $2400. correct.

Anywho, i just went back in today to check it out and see what was all done to it. it has a full fmf exhaust, radiator guard, as far as i can tell the top end looks new. shocks seem alright, except the rear's lower bushing is almost done. so while i was in checkin it out, i wanted to see if i would approve for finnacing, they said i would be under the kawasucki card, but then the new price for the bike was $3900!:thumbsup: thats just stupid, he told me its marked up cuz they took it as a high trade and they've only had it for 10 days. yeah and its they're fault for thinking its worth more.

i'm steering towards used because im clueless to riding, im gonna fall, but keep tryin, tryin, and trying. i cant afford a new one, i just want to get out and start riding

well, i dont know if they're was a question in there, or more of a statment that this bike is outrageously priced. oh yeah its hawaii, so maybe thats the card they're playin.

this is a good site BTW

hey that deal stinks to me too. i got my 03 yz250f for $2400 and from a guy who kept it in immaculat condition. look at places like www.craigslist.com for better deals. the shops will have a few but they wont always have what you want for the right price.

most shops do have ridiculous prices. Try using places like cycletrader, ebay, and craigslist if you want to buy used

That is a good bike, but the price seems too high even for Hawaii.

You're going to pay out the rear to finance a used bike. It's already well into depreciation, should be through a few top ends, and whether it looks clean or not, once you buy it, it's yours along with all of its potential problems. I would suggest that you save up the CASH and buy from a local seller as to not take a hit on dealer prep fees and markup. Just my .02:excuseme:

i'm steering towards used because im clueless to riding, im gonna fall, but keep tryin, tryin, and trying. i cant afford a new one, i just want to get out and start riding

I not saying a WR250F is not a good bike, but I would not be buying a used 02 for anything more than $1800.00. If the engine has not been rebuilt with new valves and piston, it will be soon and you will need to add that $1200.00 to the price you are paying.

If you are just starting out and just want something to ride, I would start with an DRZ, KLX, XR or TTR 250. They are nice trail bikes that need way less maintenance. And if you are falling a lot, they do not have radiators to bash on the rocks. Just a thought.

Yea what dano said. For that kind of money, I'd want new tires, chain and sprockets, have the '03 auto-decomp exhaust cam in it, all new fresh plastic, new bearings all around, new seat cover. And then I'd only want to pay 2800. That guy is trying to rip you off big time, so don't go back in. I paid 1200 for an 03 and 1500 for an 02. Go log onto the local MX track sites and look for a sales section, post a bike wanted ad and see who answers back. Consider the YZ250F since its lighter.

well thanks for all the feed back, i've seen a few bikes for sale in the back of trucks. the only thing with the financing is i could get it right away, but yeah i've already decided that the dealer is just tryin to F my A. so i'll just be savin away and get it from a local, it'll take a few months thats all. gosh i have to many hobbies. this will be one more. well since i aint got no bike, i'll just loom in the seach pages and make another post someday

thanks guys. ride on

Another option is to get a used 125 2-stroke. They are light and a good bike to learn on. Maintenance will be similar to a WR250F

well thanks for all the feed back, i've seen a few bikes for sale in the back of trucks. the only thing with the financing is i could get it right away, but yeah i've already decided that the dealer is just tryin to F my A. so i'll just be savin away and get it from a local, it'll take a few months thats all. gosh i have to many hobbies. this will be one more. well since i aint got no bike, i'll just loom in the seach pages and make another post someday

thanks guys. ride on

can you get a loan from the bank to buy it from a third party? Maybe you could put down a chunk.