Sign in to follow this  

Unabiker Guard Install, what the heck!

I read about these and the look awesome but...the installation was brutal. I ordered them from the TT store and the only listed 2006 so the rep called Unibiker and placed the order ensuring they are for a 2007.

Ok, they have tabs that line up behind the stock spot where your plastic bolts on, had to cut them off. The right side brace would not clear some electronic black, round thing. Had to trim it down.Had to trim the top of the front guard as it was hitting the rad. The rt lower side brace would not line up to the front piece when all the other bolts were in, drilled a new hole but then the bolt was to short, used a thinner washer.

On to the left side, cut off one of the tabs, drilled out a new lower hole, shaved down the brace to avoid striking the rad, bent the brace out to allow clearance for the fuel shut off and finally trimed some plastic to get the bolt in to the tank mount.

3 hours later and now my random one size fits all guards fit my 2007 RMZ450.

They are stronger than having nothing but were never designed to fit my bike. The gold looks cool with my gold rims. I worried about the black round thing rubbing on the guard, electrical fire?

I will be on the phone with Unibiker on Monday. Going to see what they sent me and let them know how to modify them to fit my 2007 RMZ450. If you have my bike, don't get this product.

I am too tired to post the pix of them and the nice pile of fancy gold anodized aluminium I cut off to make them work.

Tools used, hack saw, aviation snips, metal bit, assorted washers, very long 8mm socket extension (long standard screwdriver jammed into the socket) 3 coors lights and one band aid:mad:

I also had a horrible time getting my unibiker rad guards to fit my YZ125. It said YZ125 on the package, but I had to use a grinder, drill, and alot of tweaking to get it to fit. They really need to do some better R&D on their guards.

I also had a horrible time getting my unibiker rad guards to fit my YZ125. It said YZ125 on the package, but I had to use a grinder, drill, and alot of tweaking to get it to fit. They really need to do some better R&D on their guards.

If they weren't for a different bike, there was no R&D. I knew ahead of time there was some minor fit issues but they are pretty much custom at this point.

My unabikers bolted right up on my RM, but i did have to file down some material to clear my tank. BUT i have an oversized tank so i think it was acceptable.

My unabikers bolted right up on my RM, but i did have to file down some material to clear my tank. BUT i have an oversized tank so i think it was acceptable.

The must have been for the wrong bike. I followed the instructions, the guard goes between the rad and the frame. It seemed like the were not wide enough in some places on too wide in others. Oh yeah, my triple tree comes and hits them about 1/4 inch shy of the stop.

I had to do major remodeling of my guards because of the Clark 3.3 gal tank I also installed. Neither company's fault, although I had to elongate the holes on the back tabs to make it fit.

Here is a quick update.

1. Called TT store and they apoligized and gave the # to Unabiker (personal cell!)

2. Called Brian at Unabiker, apoligized and he said he will make it right!

3. Satisified customer

4. I would recommend Unabiker and the TT store to anyone. I dont mind a little problem as long as it is resolved.

Unabiker is one of our vendors that drop ship on our behalf. Occasionally in the heat of battle the wrong guards will go out. Fortunately it doesn't happen often at all, but it still sucks when it does!:ride: So again, sorry for any inconvenience and feel free to drop me a line if for some reason you're not getting what you need. I have no doubts that will be necessary, but I'm available for stuff like this if need be.:thumbsup:

+1 on thier customer service. Brian called me back 10 minutes after I left a message on friday afternoon..

My install was only difficult on the RAD that was bent prior to buying the Unabiker's..

Many lay downs and they have not budged!