best intake system?

I have a n '07 dodge deisel. Which intake system gives yu the best bang for your buck. How much does a chip really help?

I have a Manaflow exhaust already. Came with the truck when I bought it.

Stock. Any intake system ive ever dealt with only makes more noise and sucks in more dirt. Compared to a programmer or injectors, intakes do next to nothing for a stock engine unless you are fiddling with engine internals, more boost, or are turning high rpm's.

That is an interesting perspective. I was not expecting that.

Thanks

Well there are some that are good for a couple hp, but you will get the most bang for your buck with upgraded injectors, or a programmer. If youre going racing it might be worthwhile, but for a daily driver/tow vehicle it is unnecessary.

Air intakes are not necessary unless your planning on going 500HP+. Get a smarty programmer, you willl notice a huge increase. Exhaust and programmer can turn any diesel into a fun ride. If your set on buying an intake look at Amsoil's Injen intakes.

Stock. Any intake system ive ever dealt with only makes more noise and sucks in more dirt. Compared to a programmer or injectors, intakes do next to nothing for a stock engine unless you are fiddling with engine internals, more boost, or are turning high rpm's.

I'm with nosebag on this also. OE is more reliable, easier to maintain and quieter. The factory engineers do a pretty good job of giving you everything in one package.

In the trucks I've seen, it only makes sense to do after you've done other major modifications. With a programmer, upgraded trans, and many other things my dads 05 Chevy 6.6L puts out 650HP and is just now getting an intake.

stock, I removed the K&N that came with my truck (lets too much dirt in)

stock, I removed the K&N that came with my truck (lets too much dirt in)

Ditto-some of the CAI's I see also allow the intake to suck up moisture when driving in the rain, too.

Other than looking cool they don't really do much for you.

This is all very interesting. This truck is my first deisle. Are they diffrent then a gasser when it comes to CAI's? I have had a K&N filter charger and exhaust on every gasser that I have owned and noticed a diffrence in fuel mileage mostly.

actually, Ive cleaned mass airflow sensors because the person had a K&N on it and ussed to much oil on it. the oil got on the sensor, then proceeded to get filthy with dirt and eventually setting codes (too rich I believe). Even when it comes to my higher performance engines, I run a paper style filter,,,, just a nicer or bigger one with more surface area. I have run a foam filter on certain vehicals, but you dont use an oil, its a sticky spray and needs to be changed/cleaned very often

5.9 or 6.7? The 6.7 will through some codes witha aftermarket intake. My intake on my 5.9 gives me about 50-75 degree lower egt's across the board.

5.9 or 6.7? The 6.7 will through some codes witha aftermarket intake. My intake on my 5.9 gives me about 50-75 degree lower egt's across the board.

MIne is a 5.9. egt's? I feel likie a cone head for asking.:thumbsup:

MIne is a 5.9. egt's? I feel likie a cone head for asking.:thumbsup:

Exhaust Gas Temperature-as egt's rise, power fades.

Exhaust Gas Temperature-as egt's rise, power fades.

So the lower the temp. the higher the hp? What intake system do you have? How about fuel? Does it help or hurt your mileage?

When I bought my truck, it came with an AirRaid CAI, made by K&N I believe. I did add a single 5" catback Magna flow exhaust. Sounds good.

I clean it on a monthly basis using the K&N cleaning kit. Never had a problem with oil or dirt inside the CAI tube(visual inspection.)

As for power, who knows and who cares really. I have the diesel to tow my trailer and when I am not, easy on the gas to get max. mileage at the ridiculous gas cost of 4.30 here in WA. I don't drag race or floor it (except when a rice-burner pulls up...they are shocked into submission!)

intakes lower exhaust temps just a bit (not worth the extra dirt in your engine),,,,,,less restrictive exhaust does a better job of lowering EGT's

So the lower the temp. the higher the hp? What intake system do you have? How about fuel? Does it help or hurt your mileage?

Not exactly....exhaust flow itself wont spool up a turbo, its from the hot expanding gases, you'll get way more boost at 2000 RPM under a full load then sitting in park reving up to 2000 rpm, which will produce zilch, same speed, same flow, no heat, no expanding gasses, no boost:thumbsdn:

The reason you dont get performance out of an intake for a diesel, is its pushing 100% of the air it can in the cylinder already they run around 100:1 air to fuel at idle, the turbo is used to increase the charge effieciency. If you push air through a 3 inch pipe through a 3 inch throttle body, you'll have the same flow as a 6 inch pipe through a 3 inch throttle body.... the intake isnt the restriction, I laugh at the charge air cooler kits with huge pipes, only to be necked down to the same stock throttle body....really got a bang for their buck there:bonk:

Best intake mod I know of on a Dodge Cummins would be to use the stock aribox & a cooltube. I don't know who makes it, but the cooltube claims to lower the air going into the engine, and a couple people I know of who tried it claim more MPGs, but not power, that comes with other mods.

Changing the whole intake runs other risks, as well. One guy I know cut holes in his airbox to gain 'airflow' but found out his MPGs went DOWN slightly. My best guess is that instead of getting cool air from the snorkle at the front of the hood, it now sucks in hot air from next to the exhaust manifold (why the airbox is on the exhaust side is beyond me, other than the intake side is already pretty busy with the injector pump & master cylinder.