bike wont go in neutral unless moving??help?

My bike will only go in neutral when its rolling, and wont do it when im just stopped and getting ready to turn my bike off(i have to stall it unless i put it in neutral when rolling to my truck). i converted my bike to a wet sump kit and dont have the neutral switch anymore, and i think this is causing the problem. can this be confirmed, or do i have another adjustment problem or something?

btw, im fully aware of how to put my bike in neutral, but it just wont go no matter how little i move the shifter, just 1st and second like there is no neutral. i can live with it, just wondering if this is sounding right.

had this problem on my 2 st a while back after working on the clutch. turned out i'd overtorqued the bolts on the clutch and it wouldn't disengage completely

does the bike try to creep forward when in gear with the clutch in?

if its not disengaging fully i've read you can throw in some spacers/diff springs which can fix the problem.

use the search button :thumbsup:

my bike did the same thing. would creep forward. stall on street if not warm. switched to Bel Ray oil, and it shifts smoother, no warm up necessary for starting in gear on street.

I still have trouble getting it into neutral with the engine running and sitting. it will just go from the half click i give it and turn it into a full click.

that kinda bugged me for a second, until i just though, I can kill the engine, and press a button, and it starts right up again

had this problem on my 2 st a while back after working on the clutch. turned out i'd overtorqued the bolts on the clutch and it wouldn't disengage completely

does the bike try to creep forward when in gear with the clutch in?

if its not disengaging fully i've read you can throw in some spacers/diff springs which can fix the problem.

use the search button :thumbsup:

yeah, i did just put a new clutch in it like 4 rides ago, then had it off again to convert to the wet sump. i'll probably invest in a torque wrench and tighten them correctly and see if it helps. thanks!

If you clutch plates and basket look good you may want to do the 79-Cent Fix for Grabby Clutch Mod.

ill have to try that. thanks!

At times I have problems finding neutral as well, but have yet to do the mod. It looks like the a cheap fix.

I have the exactly opposite problem. I seem to really have to make sure I shift into 2nd or it finds neutral. I change my oil every 2 rides and the bike has low hours on it. 04 yz 250f. I use yamalube and was thinking of trying a different oil, any ideas?

Changing to a different oil will not fix a shifting problem.

When I first got my YZ426, I would find neutral a lot. Someone told me that I was short shifting to second gear and to make sure you are reving out first gear before shifting to second. 5-8 thousand RPMs. I have not had a problem since.

Changing to a different oil will not fix a shifting problem.

When I first got my YZ426, I would find neutral a lot. Someone told me that I was short shifting to second gear and to make sure you are reving out first gear before shifting to second. 5-8 thousand RPMs. I have not had a problem since.

it did for me.

better oil. better clutching. better shifting. cooler trans. cooler engine.

thats what a top quality oil does for you

I had same problem. My fix was: Steel clutch plates from Tusk. Your factory aluminum plates are probably warped. I got steel plates and my problem is solved. Tusk recommends that you use their springs, but they were too stiff and the clutch wouldn't engage. Stay with factory springs with new steel plates. I also kept the 6mm washer (.79 grabby fix) inside springs. My bike is perfect!! Good luck. Tusk is available on line at Rocky Mountain Sports.com. $49.00. Good luck.

well, heres the deal. 3 months ago i took my clutch out and put a new one in, and did the wet sump conversion(had to take everything out). my bike was just sitting there for about a week on the stand waiting for my new stuff to go in. i found this little ball bearing ball on the ground(i figured it was an old bicycle crank bearing) and didnt want to confuse it with a motor part, so i just threw it outside.

well a day later when i went to put my clutch back in i realized that i threw the clutch ball outside, and it was infact part of my motor(!!!). So i couldnt find the one i threw and ordered a new one oem. that came in and everything went together sweet!! first ride was sweet, second ride i couldnt find neutral when stationary and the bike engine downshifted a little weird(just a little harder), third ride same problem, then last sunday i went to my first race of the year and my bike was bogging in all of the corners(in first gear!!!) i thought maybe i was just being a weakling and wasnt pulling the clutch in all the way, but then i started just using four fingers and still bogged!. im on the start for my first moto of my second class and put the bike in gear and it just takes off into the gate(goon), i figered i didnt have the clutch in or just something dumb i did. i throw my hand up and have them wait for me, start the bike back up, and do it again! i just keep trying to back it out of the gate and let everyone go. i rode about 3 laps and caught back up to 5th and the bike bogged in a corner and i fell. i ride off the track, with no working clutch and call it a day.

I took my bike apart and find a totally munched clutch and realize that i have to replace everything in the clutch. there were these strange wear marks on the outside of the clutch basket(like little grooves) and a little groove slot on the rightside engine case cover. i run a magnet though the eintire motor and find nothing. i take out the oil drain bolt and find that little @#!%@ clutch ball hanging out in there. that clutch ball crushed my entire clutch.

so that sucks for me, but im lucky it found a home in my clutch and didnt get greedy and go for the bottom end.. so, if you ever find a random part on the ground, dont assume anything about it, and dont throw it outside. keep it around until ur bikes back together. theres my story.

oh, that ball bearing i threw outside wasnt the clutch ball, it was infact an old bicycle brank bearing. the one i originally lost was sleeping in my bottom end waiting to go to town on my motor.