Sign in to follow this  

Need a little help...

I am getting a new bike after about 2 years of not riding. I use to ride a RM85L which fit me pretty good. I am now 18 and have not grown much in 2 years, I am quite short, only about 5'5ish, probably a little less (hate being short :thumbsup: ). I use to race, but now I will be riding mostly with some friends that ride 4 wheelers and do trailing riding. They aren't flying through the trails, the just have fun taking there time. Sometimes going through some mud, little water, and over some logs.A lot of riding is done at night, so would need a bike where I could put a light on it easily. I only have about $4500 that I am willing to spend on a bike. Not sure how a 125 2 stroke would do mainly lugging it through trails. Thought about a 250 2 stroke, but I am guessing I am probably to small for one, i would figure that something that big going through trails for me might be a problem, sat on my friends, and damn if it ain't quite big, lol. Now I am looking at a CRF150R or a used 250F. I would consider one of the trail bikes, but I will probably take the bike to the track to once and a while. CRF150R is looking pretty good to me, I could afford it brand new and since it has the same seat height as my RM85L, it should fit just perfect. Kind of iffy on buying a used 250F. ... Well... i guess I will stop there...kind of long...sorry :ride: Any suggestions would be great.

125's and 250 two strokes are the same size, so if you can get a 125 to fit ou then you'll get a 250 to fit you as well, since you have riding experience i'd say look at a 250 two stroke and put a lowering link on it and shave the seat to lower the hight (that will lower it around 2.5 inches), of course if your an agressive rider a 125 can do you very well off road, as long as you keep them on the pipe.

for your budget you'll be able to find nice second hand 250F's as well, so i would look into them.

another option is a KX 100 or a KTM 105 SX, both can be made into great trail bikes easily, the KX's you can find in excellent condition second hand for around $1500-$2000.

None of the bikes you talked about can have a light mounted on them easily (definitely doable but not plug and play). I'd consider a KTM 200XC, seat height is a little (not much) lower than the 250's, but still have plenty of power and handle great, they aren't even that bad on the track.

I was wondering why I couldn't easily find a light to go on any of them... I thought at least somebody would have made something. I should get a 250 2stroke, for money sake, but really did want a 4 stroke this time around. Could a 250 2 stroke be lugged around for awhile easily with no harm done since thats probably what most of the riding would be, some parts being able to get on the pipe. I know my RM85L didn't like being lugged around at all. lol

It'll lug around fine, not a problem.

The problem with putting a light on a mx bike is they do not come with a lighting coil. Those can be costly

Alright, well thank you for the answers so far, going this week sometime to look at some bikes and see what happens :thumbsup:. Hopefully one will magically call my name.

but Carmichael is a freak of nature.. seriously he's the only person i know of that can throw open class bikes around like toys literally ALL day long and be just as fast at the end of the day as at the start.

but Carmichael is a freak of nature.. seriously he's the only person i know of that can throw open class bikes around like toys literally ALL day long and be just as fast at the end of the day as at the start.

Carmichael has trainers and those bikes are not as heavy as the ones you get from the dealer. Ok and yeah hes a freak of nature