Found a bike to buy, couple of questions

Hey all.

I looked at a 2001 KX250 today and, while the bike looks great (minimal wear on original plastics down to the radiator protectors, started on second kick from cold, tires look only slightly used and not dry), I have a couple of nagging questions:

1. When it was started, the RPM shot up, but only with the choke applied. Is this a Kawi thing, and whether or not it is, does it sound like a big deal?

2. The owner (second one btw) told me that the subframe had been tweaked in a laydown and tweaked back by the first owner. (The pipe has a shallow dent in it as well, but I'd be doing a new pipe on whatever I buy anyway.) I could see where the plastics by the pipe were cracked a bit (around .5" of cracking). Is that common? I'm used to cars, where a bent frame is often a red flag the size of Texas.

3. The rear wheel had a crack repair. The owner told me this is fairly common on stock MX bike wheels. FWIW the repair looks very nice, no pits or other signs of distress. Is that normal?

Maybe these are general questions, but since it was a KX I figured I'd at least start here, especially regarding the choke.

The bike seems well cared for, just sounds like it took a fall. I saw how the owner keeps his garage, and he's quite neat/clean with his stuff. This being California, I feel all comfy saying I get a good vibe off the guy and his family (btw the bike was bought for his son, checked out fine, then the wife said 'no way'.)The papers are good and it's green stickered for the year. Now then, knowing the above, does it appear worth $1500?

I think that covers everything. If this is the wrong place, I apologize. Thanks for whatever TT can tell me ?

I would say that deffinately seems like it is worth $1500. As for the high revs with the choke on i am pretty sure they all do this. I know mine does. Just start it with the choke on, let it idle for a little and once the idle starts to drop take the choke off.

a sub frame can be bought on ebay for really cheap.

a new rear rim can be had pretty cheap.(a whole used wheel assy can be bought for around 200 on ebay including tire,disc and sprocket)

my kx revs high right when it first starts too. i just turn the choke off immediately once it starts.

I agree with KDXGarage, fix the rim and don't worry about the pipe. It is normal to have a high idle at start on the enrichiner. The tweeked subframe is not a problem either, and you can get another off ebay if needed. It is a fine bike and green with a green sticker. If I needed a bike I'd get it.

Ed

I keep my hand on the choke button and "throttle" it on and off to keep the engine from overreving while cold. After 3-4 times you can leave the choke on to warm up. Just makes me feel better.

For the subframe: remove the seat, side numberplates, fender and silencer. Use a 2x4 to pry off the swingarm to straighten the subframe. A dead blow or rubber mallet on a block of wood works too. Eyeball it to the rear wheel and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info folks. The subframe was straightened by the first owner, maybe even in front of the current owner judging from the conversation we had. The plastics have one mounting boss that is torn a bit as a result but nothing is loose at all. He showed me the detail down to the undersides of the fenders so I believe he's left nothing out. If it still seems 'off' the tips above will be a(nother) great help. I may not have T-handles right now, but 2x4s, those I have ?

My gut didn't like the fixed rim either, but honestly the rest of this bike had me thinking that a new rim would be no big deal. Good to hear they're cheap.

I'm glad to hear the choke climb is somewhat normal. Once settled it revved very smoothly for something a few folks consider a rough running engine type.

One thing I forgot was a small leak where the pipe goes to the cylinder, but I figure it's a gasket issue since the actual dent is in the largest part of the expansion chamber.

Now I feel like a clown for leaving LA without the bike. I just didn't want to jump on it if any of the above was a red flag. I told the seller I'll catch him later in the week so I guess I'll count on our unfortunately poor economy to keep the bike unsold until then.

Thanks again folks!

Forgot one last thing. It has an FMF shorty which is missing the arrestor. I'm going to look for just the insert online. Heck, I found the entire pipe for $115 so this is another 'small thing'.

Forgot one last thing. It has an FMF shorty which is missing the arrestor. I'm going to look for just the insert online. Heck, I found the entire pipe for $115 so this is another 'small thing'.
The Shorty is a closed-course competition motocross silencer, it does not come equipped with a spark arrestor.

If the '01 is like the '02, the Shorty is so close to the same length as the stocker that it probably won't be any louder as long as the packaging is fresh.

You'll be happier with the stock silencer, unless you like a loud bike.

Good point. I'm into quiet, especially since my riding buddies are tooling around on 4Ts and they'll suck up all the attention.

Dont worry too much about walking away from it, you should always follow your gut feeling. Plus, in a week you can offer a little less if it is still for sale.

He just emailed me back, so I'll run with said gut on Friday. After comparing little details on this one and other bikes, I know it's a good one.

The Shorty is a closed-course competition motocross silencer, it does not come equipped with a spark arrestor.

If the '01 is like the '02, the Shorty is so close to the same length as the stocker that it probably won't be any louder as long as the packaging is fresh.

Shows what I know. I looked at another bike the same day and it had a restriction bolted in. For some reason I thought that was the arrestor, but now I'm thinking it was a noise baffle. After I get the yard done I'll do more research.

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/mcy/649501071.html

been on there for quite a while you could probably offer him 20 bucks and he would take it.

i have the turbine core 2 and love it.

Looks good, thanks for the tip. My main concern is that the bike is safe and legal. Power sure won't be an issue. lol

Thanks again for all the tech folks. I bet this week will grind by all too slowly now ?