Sign in to follow this  

Oil for tranny??

Came from page 26 of the "Motocross and off-road performance handbook" by Eric Gorr. Mr. Gorr has about 40 years experience working on bikes, he's worked as a technical writer for several dirt bike magazines, and he holds two US patents. Disagree all you want, I trust his opinion more than I trust yours.

If you want to ask him about why he said that he'd probably be happy to answer: http://www.ericgorr.com

OK, so tell me this. If you should change it every ride, what length of time should be considered "a ride"? 30 minutes? 8 hours? Somewhere in between? Don't just spout some arbritrary statement like "You should change it every ride" without some sort of quantifying data. Even Eric will tell you some sort of time frame for drain intervals based on usage conditions, he won't just spout off about "every ride"...

How many of you guys use Rotella T synthetic? I have about 4 gallons of this stuff because its what I use in my DR650, it works great in the DR so it should be fine in a KX right?

I have used Rotella-T 15W40 (white bottle-conventional) for the last few years in a variety of bikes both 2 and 4 stroke, 02 YZ426, 04 YZ250F, 05 KX65, 05 YZ85, 06 YZ250, and my sons 07 RM125. This is also the oil recommended by Rekluse for use with their automatic clutch kits in two and four stroke applications. I think the main factor regardless of the brand you select, is just keeping up on a good solid maintenance program. I change the oil every other time my son and I spend the day at the track. In the four strokes I clean/replace the oil filter every other oil change. I just purchased a 08 KX250F a few weeks ago. After I took it out the first time for break-in I changed the oil with Rotella 15W40. I have just had very good luck/results with how much longer my clutch plates last since I started running Rotella a few years ago and see no reason to change. The fact that I can buy a one-gallon bottle for under $10.00 is just icing on the cake.

I have used Rotella-T 15W40 (white bottle-conventional) for the last few years in a variety of bikes both 2 and 4 stroke, 02 YZ426, 04 YZ250F, 05 KX65, 05 YZ85, 06 YZ250, and my sons 07 RM125. This is also the oil recommended by Rekluse for use with their automatic clutch kits in two and four stroke applications. I think the main factor regardless of the brand you select, is just keeping up on a good solid maintenance program. I change the oil every other time my son and I spend the day at the track. In the four strokes I clean/replace the oil filter every other oil change. I just purchased a 08 KX250F a few weeks ago. After I took it out the first time for break-in I changed the oil with Rotella 15W40. I have just had very good luck/results with how much longer my clutch plates last since I started running Rotella a few years ago and see no reason to change. The fact that I can buy a one-gallon bottle for under $10.00 is just icing on the cake.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

OK, so tell me this. If you should change it every ride, what length of time should be considered "a ride"? 30 minutes? 8 hours? Somewhere in between? Don't just spout some arbritrary statement like "You should change it every ride" without some sort of quantifying data. Even Eric will tell you some sort of time frame for drain intervals based on usage conditions, he won't just spout off about "every ride"...

I look at it this way: Say I ride on Saturday and Sunday, most would think that's 2 rides. Nope, it's one ride for me with a long nap in between. Make sense? :thumbsup:

Motocross and off-road performance handbook, third edition, page 26. He explains that ATF will produce a good clutch feel and then says "but it is one ride oil". The section about tranny oils ends right there. I interpret "one ride oil" to mean "change it as often as is reasonably possible", but my interpretation could be wrong.

I have sent an email to the author asking for clarification.

i second the atf statement as i have that book, im yet to try it, but may give it a shot. he says the pro's use it...

Lets use some common sense about tranny oil. ATF works very well but is basically hydraulic fluid formulated for car transmissions and has no problem going 40-50000 miles before it should be changed. However, car transmissions do no not see the things that a 2stroke does. Not every crank seal is perfect and its possible to get some blow by into the tranny oil.

Your milage may vary. Not available in all states. ATF has been shown to cause cancer in small farm animals who smoke by the state of California. :thumbsup:

I've used ATF in my two-stroke trannies for 20+ years. I change it every 2-4 hours, and have yet to see any undue wear on any tranny component upon tear-down with any bike that I have owned. I have had only one bike that had tranny issues, my '79 RM250 would split the 3rd gear input cog down the cast line with regularity. That's certainly not lubrication related. The ATF also maintains a more consistent clutch feel when abusing the clutch compared to engine oil or gear oil. As my drain intervals clearly work for me, I'll continue in the same pattern, and I see no reason why others shouldn't have the same results.

You would be surprised how much riding 2 full hours actually is. Most people that install an hour-meter (both of my bikes have one) suddenly learn that they have been greatly over-estimating how much actual run-time they put on their engines. Two hours at the track doesn't mean two hours of actual run-time.

I have been riding 2 stroke bikes for about 23 years now.

I have always used ATF in the tranny.

And I still use ATF in my 2005 KX250.

Never has the oil I chose caused a problem.

I was just given a late 80's early 90's KX125 and he said that it would start but wouldn't run right. Got it home, drained out crap gas, added fresh with about 36:1 mix, (didn't know how it was jetted at that time so I went middle of the road.) Looked at the sight glass and the oil was awfully dark, so I drained and added 10w40. Drained the carb and blew it out. 2 kicks and it fired right up. Now I know I need to re-jett, that's another thread. Took it for a ride and got rid of all the skeeters in the neighborhhood.:thumbsup: When I got it home I looked in the sight glass I noticed the oil was not the same color as before I started the bike with the fresh oil. Drained out a little bit and it had a gray color to it. Now I consider myself a pretty fair hand in the garage. It has been over 20 years since I had a 2 stroke and this doesn't seem right. I know they say not to look a gift horse in the mouth. But I am begining to wonder how good my freebe is. :ride::rant:

How many of you guys use Rotella T synthetic? I have about 4 gallons of this stuff because its what I use in my DR650, it works great in the DR so it should be fine in a KX right?

I use Rotella T synthetic in my KX250 tranny because I have a couple gallons of it and use it in my YZ250F.

It's a great oil! I notice marked improvement over the Havoline 10w-40 I was using before and it was good, too! No notchy shifting or anything. Very smooth in my ride. :thumbsup:

Karl

WOW, thanks a lot for the replies guys...didn't expect nearly this many:thumbsup: After all these positive replies about ATF I think i'm going to switch. My only question is in some of the earlier posts guys were talking about using type f ATF.... Do I need to use that or can I use regular old ATF???

Thanks a lot

Ryan

i only use my clutch when i am taking off or stopping..........

how about you guys?

I also use it to control the power to the rear wheel in turns or when climbing hills (not that I get to climb hills anymore since I moved to Florida :thumbsup:).

Any help on the type f fluid????:thumbsup:
It needs to be type F. Dexron and Mercon ATF contain additives that are designed to give a soft clutch engagement in auto trannies, but that's the exact opposite of what we want from our clutches.

I use Rotella T synthetic in my KX250 tranny because I have a couple gallons of it and use it in my YZ250F.

It's a great oil! I notice marked improvement over the Havoline 10w-40 I was using before and it was good, too! No notchy shifting or anything. Very smooth in my ride. :thumbsup:

Karl

I agree, Rotella is an excellent choice, and I have run it plenty of times in my two-strokes, since I use it for my YZ250F. I just prefer the way the clutch feels with the ATF.

Chokey, I may go your route and try the ATF type F eventually. Right now, I have no room on my shelves for another bottle, LOL!

Chokey, I may go your route and try the ATF type F eventually. Right now, I have no room on my shelves for another bottle, LOL!
LOL...I hear ya! It's OK, what you put in it isn't as important as how often you change it. I run engine oil sometimes, and even use Gear Saver occasionally, I just like the clutch feel from the ATF. Any decent oil will do the job, though.