to lube or not!

If I had a dollar for every chain lube thread in the last 6 years I'd be a lucky man.

The best chain lube available is chew spit and whiskey. If you're not using that as lube you're a spode.

Spode is a funny word.

"Spode"

Go ahead and say it.

"Spode"

Hahahhaha told ya!

The o-rings are made of Nitrile. Nitrile is very resistant to most solvents, including those in WD40. You could soak the chain in a gallon of WD40 and it will never pass the o-ring and make it's way to the grease inside the chain.

I agree... WD40 (or any petroleum based oil) only attacks natural rubber that is in all brake components (piston boots, square cut lip seals, cup seals, fill cap boots, etc...)

Nitrile is about the best material out there for resistance to chemicals. The only thing that eats the nitrile gloves I use at work is Isopropyl Alcohol...

Note to self: DON'T use Isopropyl alcohol to clean chains....?

I either use WD-40 to displace the water after I wash the bike or just ride it slowly around my back yard until the bike is dry. I have had the same chain on my bike (DID X-ring) since October of 2004. It has needed adjustment once:thumbsup: I never put anything on the outside. Grease and oil just collect dirt to chew up the chain and sprockets.

Ive got a Sidewinder Oring on my CR500 that I ride exclusively in Glamis. Ive been cleaning by dousing it with Gunk Engine Brite along with the other various gooey spots before I hose it off. After that I hit it with some WD-40, after the obligitory 4th gear blast up the street after the wash to throw most of the water off. And after Ive throughly dried the bike, I wipe the excess WD off with a rag and hit it with Maxima Chain wax.

I do basically the same thing with my non orings too. But Ive had that chain on that 500 since 1991...when I bought it!

I considered a setup like that for my CRF but after seeing the pricing for the Sidewinder setup I went into a coma. Upon awakening I decided several Primary drive setups would be fine... ?

If I had a dollar for every chain lube thread in the last 6 years I'd be a lucky man.

The best chain lube available is chew spit and whiskey. If you're not using that as lube you're a spode.

Spode is a funny word.

"Spode"

Go ahead and say it.

"Spode"

Hahahhaha told ya!

?:D:ride::rant:?:mad::o

heres my method. pretty much the same as some others.

1. wash bike real good. (a clean bike is a happy bike)

2. dry the whole bike with a towel including the chain the best I can.

3. spray lots of Water Displacement #40 on the chain and a few other areas.

4. change air filter

5. wipe chain again with dry towel

6. apply MFR Gold chain lube real good

7. spin rear tire alot and put away till the next riding day and its ready

I do apply lube at the track almost every session

LOL!! This topic comes up about once a year.

I have a DID x-ring chain that I put on my '04 bike when it was new in Feb '04. I'm still running the same chain and sprocket combo!!!!!!

I've only used WD-40.

So tell me why in the hell should I blow money on chain lube again?!!!?

So they don't believe us! Well, I'll just continue with the WD and continue saving money on lubricants and premature chain/sprocket wear. They ask but they refuse to believe!

I used to use WD40 after a wash but the guys at the bike shop said it messes with the plastic in the O-ring chain and steered me to spray-on lithium grease..

But I give it a spray after each wash.

If WD40 is really OK I would prefer to go back to that. Easier to do

Seems like the jury is really out on this.

Has anyone consulted with the manufacturer of their chain? I would think that each manufacturer would have a set of care instructions applicable to each specific chain (ring or non). Granted, manufacturer's care instructions may not consider other factors (sprocket wear, ease of care).

I haven't purchased a chain in about 10 years so I don't know what manufacturers are doing these days. Just an idea.

I used to use WD40 after a wash but the guys at the bike shop said it messes with the plastic in the O-ring chain and steered me to spray-on lithium grease..

But I give it a spray after each wash.

If WD40 is really OK I would prefer to go back to that. Easier to do

Plastic in a chain??? :ride:

I don't think so. ?

WD40 is a water displacement (the WD part) and light lubricant. Perfectly okay in those roles.

Personally, I don't agonize over chain life. They're disposable items like tires. I keep it adjusted properly, WD40 after washing, chain lube at the track between motos. Doing this I see 2 or 3 years out of chain and probably could get more but I just replace them after 2 years along with the sprockets.

Interesting news about wd40.. Ive asked a few ama circuit mechanics and they said on oring or xring wd40 is not recommended.. Maybe its because they dont use I dunno.. Only place ive ever used wd40 is on my spring on the footpegs and on the header..Ive never put it on my chain unless its absolutley the only thing I have in my garage at the time.. I clean my chain throughly after every ride when washing my bike then spray chain lube on it..

CHNGRDG.jpg

Interesting news about wd40.. Ive asked a few ama circuit mechanics and they said on oring or xring wd40 is not recommended.. Maybe its because they dont use I dunno.. Only place ive ever used wd40 is on my spring on the footpegs and on the header..Ive never put it on my chain unless its absolutley the only thing I have in my garage at the time.. I clean my chain throughly after every ride when washing my bike then spray chain lube on it..

CHNGRDG.jpg

I very much doubt that any of the pro mx bikes are running an O-ring chain.

And the chains are replaced between races, so as far as maintenance goes, these guys don't worry about it anyhow.

Well at the risk of adding nothing, my 2 cents is not to use WD40 and certainly not to soak an Oring chain in any solvents. I also agree you should lube even an Oring chain, there is metal to metal contacts after all in places other than inside where the Oring seals that lubricant. I can't remember where I heard not to use WD40, probably in MXA 15 or more years ago, so perhaps the new materials aren't affected by WD40. However, WD40 is still a thin penetrating lubricant, so why take the (I agree small) risk of diluting the lubrication in the Oring chain. This is why you paid extra for this kind of chain and traded off some HP to run it. You want it to last.

I don't blast my chain with a pressure washer or compressed air. I use a wire brush after washing, hold it against the chain and rotate the rear wheel. I do topside and bottom side, and it takes me about 1 minute. I then lube w/ Maxima chain wax (or any other chain lube, I like the ones that aren't messy/sticky/"flingy" and the Maxima Chain Wax doesn't seem to attract and hold dirt like other brands such as BelRay). Make sure alignment and slack adjustment is good, keep an eye on chain and sprocket wear and your drivetrain will last a very long time.

I'm not suggesting my way is the best way, but I know it works.

Best Regards,

Joe