Sign in to follow this  

250X to 450X back to 250X!!!

Hi all

Has been a while since my last post, over a year. I started out with a 04 250x that I purchased in early 05, starving for power and weighing about 200 pounds, I placed a CHM pipe and header on it with an R cam, rejetted, boysen AP cover, loaded the bike with all great components then sold it to upgrade to a 450R. The 450R being too powerful at first I went out and purchased a 450x(wife was not happy). I loved the power and modded that bike out as well with pro circuit 496 pipe and header, bars, levers, and even full Triple clamps, with loads of mods I sold it because it was a pig, too heavy, when moving not very noticable but when loading into my lifted truck and when going down it was just a fat pig of a bike. I picked up the craziest deal ever, 250X with 30 miles on it, 230F for the wife and a 50 with training wheels all in brand new condition for $4200.(ya I stole them). Ran straight to the DMV to register them thinking they were stolen, they were not. Here is my question to all of you if you have read this far. I have this new X and am about to start dumping money into it like before but thought I would ask my fellow riders for there opinion on what they believe to be the best mods(opinions are like ass___)we all have them. So lets see what you have learned over the past 3 years since I sold my 250x. What I had before was great just looking to improve with all of your input. Here is what I have learned in my journey the 250x is a fun bike to ride, takes less effort to throw the bike around and after spending much time riding the R at Hangtown and Riverfront I am trying to build the ultimate 250x playbike, no disrespect to all of your ultimate machines of course. Feel free to ask about my journey between the 450x and the 250x. Here is where I will be riding it. Georgetown, CA, Sugarpine, Ca, Carnegie, Hollister Hills, CA. Thanks Wavemaker:ride:

My best set up for this bike is the full R exhaust and hotcam's stage 1 cam. From here I'm going to put in a high compression piston.

If you are adventurous you could just order a fully modded head with new valves from Ron Hamp what ever year he thinks is best and have him throw his cam in the box before he sends it back to you. That would be a trick set up. You probably wont get a better head. Then get a 270 or 305 kit bolt it back together and that would be a great bike.

At least my opinion doesn’t stink. Nothing has really changed the last three years, except the performance gains in the R

07 R Head

08 R cam

08 R piston

Chop the air box

Jet it

Twin air filter with screen removed

Pipe is up to you , I prefer stock with the diffuser drilled out.

Definetly thinking big bore kit!!!

I never really thought about an R head, what kind of change would that make?

The 302 kit is pricey!!! ouch. Where can I find it the cheapest? I like it, some things I had not even considered, but when trying to bridge the gap between the 250 and the 450 it can cost a fortune, maybe the future holds a 350x fuel injected!!! Problems solved:applause:

but you have an X, already have a 450R, just trying to trick out a 250X(green sticker, in Cali) until a Rangers takes a closer look. Also, it is paid for and registered, but don't think that didn't cross my mind.

the 270 kit is not that much and from the reviews that I've read its a really big difference in power over the stock motor.

Frankly, I think if you open it up (air box and pipe), and jet it properly - it runs like a top.

but you have an X, already have a 450R, just trying to trick out a 250X(green sticker, in Cali) until a Rangers takes a closer look. Also, it is paid for and registered, but don't think that didn't cross my mind.

Oh No! the dreaded green sticker issue. Sure glad I live somewhere where I just need to make sure and have a spark arrestor.

I would just mod it with an opened up air box. An R or better exhaust (add a spark arrester to the R exhaust or buy an exhaust with spark arrester). I would go with an R cam. Make sure your valves are in good shape so you dont have to take it all back apart right away when you get it togeather. I would put some type of skid plate on it and radiator guards. Depending on what kind of riding you do I might get an R number plate and rear fender. I would basically build a beefed up R with an electric strarter and 18inch rear wheel. Sounds like your original bike was pretty good.

Oh No! the dreaded green sticker issue. Sure glad I live somewhere where I just need to make sure and have a spark arrestor.

Good to see you had something to add to this post. Next time just read and move on. Your probably a Cowboys fan too.:thumbsup:

I put in an R cam in mine played with it at a track then took it out. If Im doing a high speed dez race I put it in and pull the pink wire. Then when going back to tight trails I trade to the X cam for the low end torque. It really depends on the riding you plan on doing.

Good to see you had something to add to this post. Next time just read and move on. Your probably a Cowboys fan too.:thumbsup:

Nope don't even watch football. They're just a bunch of overpaid crybabies.

I really dont understand the whole green sticker thing. I mean what is the difference that red sticker bike is still going to be ridden somewhere, in those restricted months. What diff does it make if it is only at tracks or other closed courses.

With the R's cam, head and exhaust,ccc mods and proper rejetting that should be in the neughborhood of R type power, wouldn't. Then to reach R type performance two other things would have to be addressed. First would be weight, you would have to lose the starter and batt (which is why I bought the x in the first place) along with some otjer odds and ends. And the other mod I have not heard of being done, is to split the transmission open and install the close ratio gears. I think then you would have a green sticker R model.

The combinations are virtually endless, the only question is how much money and time do you have?

Nope don't even watch football. They're just a bunch of overpaid crybabies.

I really dont understand the whole green sticker thing. I mean what is the difference that red sticker bike is still going to be ridden somewhere, in those restricted months. What diff does it make if it is only at tracks or other closed courses.

Don't think I have'nt thought about getting out of this state, I couldn't agree with you more. Some Genius thought they would save the world by not letting us ride our bikes all year long. It's cool I mostly ride track these days on the 450.