Sign in to follow this  

Picked up an 04 CRF450R

Hey guys and gals

A friend of mine sold me his 04 CRF450R and I'm looking to do a few upgrades to it. It will be used for bush riding mainly and the bike is pretty much stock. I'm interested in what add ons would be a good choice to set it up. Also any info on what to watch for would be cool.

I'm pretty new to dirtbiking (3 years) and am coming off a TTR 225 and am looking forward to the extra ooomf! of the 450

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

thanks

If you haven't already done it, check your valve clearance and change the engine & transmission oils and eng. oil filter. Check the old oil for metal.

Aluminum bark busters (a recommendation I always make to off-roaders) and get the suspension set up for your weight, riding style and terrain.

I still have my '04 and love it though there's a few things you can do to improve it.

I found changing to 20mm fork offset really gave it stability through the increased trail and stopped any headshake at speed. It also helped the turning by placing more weight on the front wheel. While triple clamps are expensive, you can find them cheaper now that the newer bikes have changed their offset to accomplish the same setting by using 22mm offset with 2mm taken out of the fork dropouts in '05. Actually, people are swithcing back to the 24mm so maybe you can work a trade.

My valves went after 50 hours, but I replaced them with kibblewhites through Eric Gore for around $400. They've been solid since and I now have 90 hours on them.

You can remove the backfire screen and run a twinair replacement from their intake kit. It has the fire proof backing and is only $1 more than the regular twinair. You can also replace the airboot with one from an '05 (smoother intake) for better throttle response and top end ($25). You may have to lean the jetting a little when doing this. At 1,000ft altitude, I run a 40 pilot, stock main (I think 168) and '05 needle on the 3rd clip position.

You can run the '05 through 07' ignition box for more hit. I got mine on ebay for $25.

I also run a J&E 12.5:1 piston. You can go as high as 13:1 on pump fuel. Make sure you replace the cam chain ($35) when you do a top end.

I just rebuild the bottom end with new crank, bearings, seals, counter balancer bearings and seals and countershaft bearing and seals. All the old parts were in spec but after 140 hours I felt comfortable doing this now. Total cost of parts was $550. I did the work myself and it took me approximately 10 hours, but I go slow. It's not hard to do if you get the shop manual.

I know all this sounds like a lot and you don't have to run out and do all this. This was over the course of 4 years and I'm now ready for many more.