DR-Z 400s Cargo/Container?

Does anyone know of a good add-on cargo case/bag/container for the 400s? I am looking for something that would preferably be attached to the back center of the bike, as opposed to a saddle bag type of carrier.

Also, I plan on installing the suzukie after-market rack/toolbox ... so if it will fit along side that, it would be ideal.

Good timing. I was wondering if someone already makes something that bolts nicely to existing mounting points.

If it doesn't exist, I'm going to put a friend's kid to work in his machining class and make a mount that I can attach a pelican case to.

The general idea will be to bolt a pelican case to a skid/frame with the attachment point hidden under the skid when it's on the bike.

Then that frame will attach/lock to existing mount points on the rear sub-frame.

I actually have a friend in Dallas that made a prototype that mounts a pelican case to the side using the existing helmet lock. Slick system actually. He just needs to get it together with a machine shop and make a few more. I'd be one of the first guys to buy one.

search pelican, tool box and case and you will se about a dozen really good options. I was designing my own rack to hold 2 plastic ammo cans when I found the Cortech Sport saddlebags. Glad I never did all that work b/c I never used them.

I am making a mounting plate for a Cruz tool set that goes where the helmet lock is. Pics soon!.

Davebert - that looks awesome! Which rack are you using for you modification? Is your solution pretty solid ... meaning, any vibration/rattling?

Where can I get all the parts you used to mount yours?

Does anyone know of a good add-on cargo case/bag/container for the 400s? I am looking for something that would preferably be attached to the back center of the bike, as opposed to a saddle bag type of carrier.

Also, I plan on installing the suzukie after-market rack/toolbox ... so if it will fit along side that, it would be ideal.

Hi boing, :rant:

I just twist some pieces of 12 gauge copper wire to attach a plastic crate onto my stock Zookie rack with tool container... and it works great! ?

drz400092.jpg

Man, I haul everything in it.:ride:

Take Care,

Greg

Here's what i'm using

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23303677@N04/2371056303/

yes the Suzuki rack and tool with the Corbin bag. I like how easy I can take off the bag plus has enough storage for what I need.?

You could try the Hepco & Becker option:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2248/175/

The pic shows it with the racks for sidecases but they are extras.

Once you've got the rack you can fit the cases:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/642/182/

or

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/643/182/

• Like 1

Davebert - that looks awesome! Which rack are you using for you modification? Is your solution pretty solid ... meaning, any vibration/rattling?

Where can I get all the parts you used to mount yours?

I used a Pelican 1200 case (without the foam) and found the best place to get it when shipping is considered into the plan, is here:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1200.htm

They sell many sizes and colors but one word of advice...Choose the size you think you want and make a mock up using a cardboard box etc and place it on the rack to see how it looks. I was going to use a larger Pelican but once I made the mock ups (using a 5 lb catfish nuggets box), I went with the Pelican 1200 and I think thats the smallest one.

I got the rear rack from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DRZ-400S-SM-KLX-400-SR-Utility-Cargo-Rack_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ018QQitemZ280219086894QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He sells a few styles but I went with the biggest.

And the Stainless Steel Adel clamps I got from a local Marina for around a dollar each. I used 3/4" for my rack and 1/2" for my wifes. As far as solid goes, its solid. I used all stainless cap screws and SS nylock nuts. I guess after many miles and depending what you carry in it the clamps could crack but I haven't had a problem so far. Just get some spares in case as they all wouldn't break at once.

Hope that helps,

db

?

Maybe not "quick-disconnect" but here is one way to mount a Pelican.? This is on my wifes KLX250S using SS Adel Clamps. I did mine the same only using 4 clamps.

pelican-adels.jpg

Is this rack stock to the Kawa or is it an aftermarket?

Good idea with the clamps:thumbsup:

I used a Pelican 1200 case (without the foam) and found the best place to get it when shipping is considered into the plan, is here:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1200.htm

They sell many sizes and colors but one word of advice...Choose the size you think you want and make a mock up using a cardboard box etc and place it on the rack to see how it looks. I was going to use a larger Pelican but once I made the mock ups (using a 5 lb catfish nuggets box), I went with the Pelican 1200 and I think thats the smallest one.

I got the rear rack from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DRZ-400S-SM-KLX-400-SR-Utility-Cargo-Rack_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ018QQitemZ280219086894QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He sells a few styles but I went with the biggest.

And the Stainless Steel Adel clamps I got from a local Marina for around a dollar each. I used 3/4" for my rack and 1/2" for my wifes. As far as solid goes, its solid. I used all stainless cap screws and SS nylock nuts. I guess after many miles and depending what you carry in it the clamps could crack but I haven't had a problem so far. Just get some spares in case as they all wouldn't break at once.

Hope that helps,

db

?

Wow, thanks for the detailed info! I just ordered a rack and the 1300 pelican case. Making a mockup definitely helped me figure out what size would work best ... great idea!

Anyone ever thought about drilling some holes in the rear fender and fashioning a way to mount one of these pelican boxes to the sub-frame directly?

There's probably a good reason not to (? ) but I'd rather not spend the $85.

Thoughts?

Denver

Debi. i have the same bac, how did you get it to connect without shortening up the bungees? I had to shorten them way up then the bottom the bag gets all wrinkled up.

We just ran them thru the rack from one corner to the other and it kept the bottom pretty much straight.:eek: Oh yes and we did not shorten them.

I have a pelican 1400 mounted to a suzuki rack. Works well for me to carry commuting junk(tools, gloves, etc.). I have some friends that are hardcore dirt riders and give me grief about my "trunk". There are pics in my garage.

No offense to the milk crate crowd. When I see a crate strapped to the rack of a motorcycle it makes the bike look like a scooter in my mind. I am in a college town and it seems like every scooter here has a milk crate strapped it. I certainly can understand the utility of it though.

I have a pelican 1400 mounted to a suzuki rack. Works well for me to carry commuting junk(tools, gloves, etc.). I have some friends that are hardcore dirt riders and give me grief about my "trunk". There are pics in my garage.

No offense to the milk crate crowd. When I see a crate strapped to the rack of a motorcycle it makes the bike look like a scooter in my mind. I am in a college town and it seems like every scooter here has a milk crate strapped it. I certainly can understand the utility of it though.