A Few Qs About The 2006!!

Finnally decided to ride green :eek:! Im looking into getting a 2006 kfx450 but i need to know a few things about it first!

1. Im pretty sure this is the first year of the kx450f, is there any real problems with the bike?

2. a good price for a nice used one. I have seen them go for 2800 and i have seen them go for 3800, id like to know a range of what id be spending.

3. is there any "musts" for aftermarket parts? ( is there anything that would really help the bike or somthing to counter a normal problem with the bike.

4. last but not least, is it dependeble. If i take it easy on the bike will i still have to redo the valves and what not everyother day?

If you could help me out I would appricate it a lot! thank you very much!

~brandon~

First to address the valve maintenance issue. If your buying a 3 year old bike, who knows what shape the valves are in or if they have been maintained.

It could easily go for another 30 hours, or could need rebuilt before you even buy it.

Second since you mentioned "taking it easy" I am going to guess that you arent racing Moto-X with it? If thats the case, you may want to look into an '07. I know the off-roader/trail riders/play rides all like having the extra gear. (the 06 is a 4-speed as you probably know) and the 07 has a 5th gear which is essentially the '06 4 speed w, 1 taller gear stacked on top.

If your on the track you wont need the 5th gear but if your play riding I think you'll find yourself wishing you had it, and it will also give you more gear-tuning flexibility. IF your riding in the woods you will probably want to get a larger rear-sprocket, and with the 4-speed that will take even more top speed away.

have had very little issues with mine hade to replace a piston but that was after a year and a half of a lot of riding and there is an issue with the oil scavage pump but you can see that is other posts. do a lot of racing rarely use 4th gear let alone 5th.

The only problem with my 06 is that it goes through fork seals kinda fast and the rear shock sucks. I could not stand the stock rear shock, it was way to soft for me and I weigh 175 pounds. But the revalve fixed it and the revalve fixed the cornering issues.

I have an 06' and i love it. All i would do is put in a different piston to avoid issues with the stock one, and set your suspension up for your weight. After that you can ride and see what you need. I have only 40 hours on it but i have had no problems. I just now have the suspension about where i want it and when set up properly the thing handles awesome. The power is unreal also. Hands down, my best bike ever.

Geez hondaman91, you waited a whole 84mins before thinking everyone was ignoring you. :eek:

Fork seals: Pop down the pre-wipers and brush the seals out once in the while, and be sure to wash and oil the chrome tubes. I ride in all sorts of crap, and cleaning axles, bearings and linkages and even inner tubes is a chore, but no probs with fork seals. Anyone else had a problem with them? Maybe I just got lucky.

Some good replies already. Also some good threads in the past specifically about the 06 model. Search. eg. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6000069#post6000069

KX450F-06 model specifics wont be your biggest issue. Buying 2nd hand can be like a can of worms. Ideally you learn something about the previous owner with regard to their mechanical care for not only the bike you might buy, but other things they own.

I have owned a 2006 for 2 years. The first ride I had a problem with the internal shift linkage which caused a major crash; the dealer did fix the problem. 1 month ago my wrist pin broke and grenaded the motor ($2500.00 to fix). I did have alot of time on the motor with no rebuild, so I shouldn't be very surprised. I love the bike though, and I do prefer the 4 gear trannny. I will say I think my friends CRF450 corners mush better. Hope this helps

thanks allot you guys!! anyone got a good price?

Really depends on the shape it's in. Mine has been very solid! I did put a Wiseco in it at 70 hrs and the stock wristpin had deep marks!! I wouldn't buy one with the stock piston in it or change it right away to Wiseco kit before riding it.

I'm getting an 08 this weekend so I tore my 06 apart to clean everything/regrease and inspect before selling it (I'm pretty anal about maintenance) I still can't believe how great this bike has been, the valves are still in specs, the clutch basket doesn't even have a notch on it and it's still as strong and tight as when it was new! I'd like to get 3900 for mine but it's in perfect shape and needs nothing. So as far as prices, I would check what needs to be done to it and deduct that from the top price.

I will say I think my friends CRF450 corners much better.
Ah, that's setup. It'll corner as good as you are prepared or able to work on the setup, for you. You must have read all the posts about the 06 and re-valving and springs and other basics. But hey the engine - it's just golden. :eek: Of course a shame you took the big gamble on the stock piston+pin. Nasty repair bill. I hope you didn't put the same stock piston back in there! ?