CRF 230L fuel mileage?

Frank over at Engines Only has a 230L with a 250cc piston and cam and he told me the thing gets about 80 miles to the gallon.

I rode it for about half an hour one day and I swear it makes more power than my XR250R with a 277 piston. Great town bike or light dual sport bike.

Sits lower than a 250F so deep ruts might be tough.

I've had a 230L for about three weeks. I haven't kept exact numbers but it has 51 miles on it now and I have put at most one gallon of gas in to top off. However my mileage is probably a little low because I am mostly in first and second doing a lot of starts and stops and such for practice in the driveway and fields as I don't have my license yet.

I get about 120 miles to a tank before reserve, better mileage in the dirt. After just over 1000 miles, I am in love with it! It is a great town bike and goes fast enough for short distances on the highway. It does fine in the dirt, I haven't tried anything too technical, don't want to lay it down and break stuff yet. I did upgrade the front springs and change the pegs to wider ones, it was a little mushy on the rough stuff with the stock springs.

Top speed on a slight downhill for a few seconds it was at 80, where the speedo stops. It was too fast for me, a little shaky, but it is comfortable to cruise at 70 and still have a little left. I haven't tested the speedo vs. the gps yet, so those numbers could be off.

Frank Nye has done excellent work on our bikes in the past and I plan on having him do the 250 thing to this one, just to keep up with the 400's and 650's the guys are riding.

I used IMS superstock pegs for an XR 250, they are a perfect fit. The springs were done in San Jose by a suspension guy, he replaced the stock with stiffer ones, I can find out exactly what he used and post. It cost around $200 for the front end work, well worth it. How do you like yours so far?

I used IMS superstock pegs for an XR 250, they are a perfect fit. The springs were done in San Jose by a suspension guy, he replaced the stock with stiffer ones, I can find out exactly what he used and post. It cost around $200 for the front end work, well worth it. How do you like yours so far?

Do you know if they were for the later XR250s '96-01 or earlier years 88-95 as they list two different versions of those pegs for the XR250?

I love mine so far, it is a fun bike that my 14 year old son (who usually rides a CRF150R) also likes to ride. Unfortunately, the weather in IA has been cold and wet so I haven't put on a lot of miles yet. Appreciate you getting back with the details of your mods!

• 1 month later...

The first 2 tanks I got 73.3 miles per gallon. After realizing the potential and it is getting freed up from break-in my third tank I got 86.295 miles to the gallon. I rode it with some sense this tank. If you dog it you will get low 70's per gallon. I am however getting a 14 tooth sprocket to drop the rpm's down a little in 6th. She is taching pretty high at 60 mph. I have never got my bike up to 80 miles per hour. She won't do it. 75 is the max. I bought my bike for the fuel mileage and nothing else. I can live with 86 mpg!!! I can ride back and forth for 3 days to and from work per 1 gallon of gas. I caught some shit from some of the guys that I work with about the size of my bike but after they realized what they were spending on gas they now have a different opinion. I hope to get around 90 mpg with a little trying and the gear. I will post the outcome. I would not recommend this bike to be taken out on the highway since it is light and not all that fast. She will get to 60 mph pretty quick but slows way down after that. I love this bike for two reasons: 1) good on gas and 2) fun to ride... I have not had my bike off of the road yet. Some people say she does not have the suspension to handle the off road but hey I did not buy her to jump triples, just to run from the law through peoples back yards!!!---Tony

I've filled up twice, and I'm seeing 70mpg so far. Most of my riding is 60mph highway riding. Overall, this bike is exactly what I was looking for, a small bike I can go to work on, and still hit the backroads on the weekends.

I'm seeing around 80mpg best guess. I drive it pretty easy and probably average 40mph whilst touring around town. Has 700 miles on it as of today. I just put in amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil yesterday and went for a 60 miler and it seems to shift much smoother, clutch engagement feels like butter now, and the engine feels a lot more confident when cruising.

She is definitely off road worthy. I made a bunch of trails through my woods and there's muddy sections, hills, roots, logs, etc and it does well. I have never tried any jumps though. The secret seems to be to air down the tires to like 9psig for off road, I couldn't believe the difference it made.

I ran mine on a full tank till I hit reserve and I hit 118 Miles and its a 1.6 gallon tank till reserve so ~74Mpg. Thats with a little dirt riding so add a few Mpg if it was full street.