What brand cam chain tensioner for '06 CRF450R?

What brand of manual cam chain tensioner are you guys using for an '06 CRF450R? Are they pretty much all the same? I read some posts the other night about tensioner failure and now I'm a little worried. Mine is used for supermoto only with stock internals.

ericz,i'm feelin you!!i was ready to post a question about the cam tensioner...i bought a 03 crf that has one installed and i don't know how to adjust it.what is the procedure that i should do to see if everything is ok???

Why not the original maker of the MCCT, APE.

http://bigborethumpers.com/

As far as adjusting it you can either do what CRF-F said, or you can bring the motor up on top dead center compression stroke and adjust the bolt in, by hand, until you feel it hit the guide, then you want to back it out a quarter of a turn and lock the jam nut.

That's a nice looking adjuster. I like black!

Once installing the mcct,will it be in spec forever???i mean,i don't want to mess with this if i don't have too...

No, as the cam chain and the guides wear, you have to readjust a mcct. The stock cct is the only self adjusting tensioner available.

so why in the definition of the mcct it says that it's required periodic adjustment to maintain proper tension as the cam chain wears.

if you keep cranking it in it's gonna wear just like a auto unit or worse...that's not needed.... in theory it will prolong the life of the chain and guide as it's not constantly strecthing the chain and wearing the guide....it really is like a "set it and forget it" type deal that will NEVER fail

if you keep cranking it in it's gonna wear just like a auto unit or worse...that's not needed.... in theory it will prolong the life of the chain and guide as it's not constantly strecthing the chain and wearing the guide....it really is like a "set it and forget it" type deal that will NEVER fail

Sounds good in theory but that's not how it really works. Your rear chain is a perfect example. The tension is never so tight that it's right up against the chain block 100% of the time, but the block still wears and the chain still stretches. Manual cam chain adjusters are nothing new. There was one on my '73 XR75 and when it got noisy, I had to adjust it. The CRF450 is inherently noisy so you may not even know it's getting sloppy.

Sounds good in theory but that's not how it really works. Your rear chain is a perfect example. The tension is never so tight that it's right up against the chain block 100% of the time, but the block still wears and the chain still stretches. Manual cam chain adjusters are nothing new. There was one on my '73 XR75 and when it got noisy, I had to adjust it. The CRF450 is inherently noisy so you may not even know it's getting sloppy.

good point.....i do believe there is more room for operator error on a manual unit though......a guy could over do it or under do it and could be catastrophic......i bought one just because i have a supermoto crf450 and i will be really letting it rip:ride: ......then i took the 07 auto unit and installed it in my 03:thumbsup:

good point.....i do believe there is more room for operator error on a manual unit though......a guy could over do it or under do it and could be catastrophic......i bought one just because i have a supermoto crf450 and i will be really letting it rip:ride: ......then i took the 07 auto unit and installed it in my 03:thumbsup:

True, the manual unit isn't idiot proof, but the OEM part is when installing a new unit. The early CRF450 cct's had the very rare failure on occasion so you are smart to put your 07 tensioner in your older bike.

True, the manual unit isn't idiot proof, but the OEM part is when installing a new unit. The early CRF450 cct's had the very rare failure on occasion so you are smart to put your 07 tensioner in your older bike.

i actually replaced the 03 unit in 03 with a 04 unit:D .....i now have two extra auto units now......need one?:eek:

Hopefully I won't be going into my new bike for a while but I know who to call when I do. :eek:

that should be the case with how ane-ul you are on air filter changes and cleaning the air box:thumbsup: .......notice i joined in 05 and i changed the tensioner out in 03 for an 04 unit........yeah i was an almost two-year lurker before i joined:bonk: .......?

that should be the case with how ane-ul you are on air filter changes and cleaning the air box:thumbsup:

I resemble that remark!

Yea, good filter service has more to do with how you do it, than how often you do it.