Sign in to follow this  

fork seals

can someone tell me how to replace the fork seals on an 05 yz250f or post up a link to do so.Thanks.Please spare the obivious details like remove forks from bike...

can someone tell me how to replace the fork seals on an 05 yz250f or post up a link to do so.Thanks.Please spare the obivious details like remove forks from bike...

get playing cards, like bicycle brand, and stick them underneath, twist around the whole seal, and it should get all the dirt out and keep it from leaking, then get some seal savers, pop them on and don't worry about leaky seals ever

05's have the dual chamber forks. I did mine last fall (both inner and outer chambers). Took a few tools that I didn't have (seal driver, cap wrench/ damper rod holder and cap socket wrench which cost me ~$85. Others here on TT mentioned that you can empty the inner cartridge fluid without opening the cartridge, by simply inverting and pumping the cartridge several times. Perhaps I'll try that method at the next fluid change.

As for the details, I used the Yami manual and a write-up in DirtRider. In addition the Cap Wrench/ damper holder tool from ebay ($24) also came with instructions.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=123451&highlite=kayaba+forks

I replace the teflon coated busings, along with seals and wipers. Total cost from TT's OEM store ~$75. The Yami S1 fluid was about $25. Total cost was a bit less than handing the forks over to the dealer, but at leaset I know it was done right :eek:

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

jp