Zongshen Sierra Quality?

Well here it is, will a Zongshen bike be of decent quality? I want something for cheap transportation around college. I dont want anything that someone would steal or if soemthing happens to it I dont want to be upset. So how well will it hold up?

http://yakima.craigslist.org/mcy/665821844.html

Thanks for any advice,

-mt-

There are a few vids up on YouTube on this bike. I think its more or less a restyled GY200 with maybe some upgrades. I think the correct model number is LXZ200GY

Actually this bike has nothing to do with the 200gy and really all Chinese dual sports are called GY. Most of the Lifans are honda based, but the Zonshen Sierra is based on the Yamaha TW200 and has some of the worst quality control issues of any of the Chinese bikes. In China we refer to them as a ticking bombs and although they look nice they are a gamble. Also there is no place to buy parts for them in the US.

Thanks for the reply Supersignet. That is exactly what I wanted to know!

-mt-

WOW...I just bought a Sierra 200 from www.usawholesalescooters.com and have spoken with the Miami importer at www.zongshenamerica.com and he says they carry parts for the Sierra line.

This would be my first ever motorcycle, and I must admit, the looks of the bike really got me. If this doesnt pan out...I think I'll go with a KLR650.

:thumbsup:

After a few weeks being held up in Customs, my bike is finally on the road, and running really smooth.

Here are a few pictures. I put 64 miles on it so far, with an oil change at 20 miles.

2592134431_91cf8b83f7.jpg?v=0

2592972318_9c41b1783e.jpg?v=0

2592133603_05a043e7b7.jpg?v=0

2592133427_c2810d77db.jpg?v=0

2592133817_aa86057b02.jpg?v=0

2592134097_93f4e9123f.jpg?v=0

as a P.S. I saw a few LiFans in Miami prior to purchasing this bike, and really didnt like the see thru plastics and overall construction of the LiFan versus the Zongshen Sierra. The Sierra, in all honesty, has the exact same features and looks of a KLR. I'm super pleased with her and I can find parts easily all over South Florida.

Looks nice! Let us know how it hold up.

well isn't the old X-Ranger the Zongshen's that had issues... cause it had to do with the years which they were manufactured in... after the x-ranger issues the started distruibting the Sierra 200's...

I purchased a Zongshen Sierra about 2 months ago and have over 1500 miles on it now. It has run perfect with zero complaints except that the chain seems to be wearing rather fast. I get over 70 mpg and it handles great with brakes that will stop on a dime. If there are any "time bomb" issues like a previous post said, i sure have not seen any so far. It runs great and in fact side by side with my buddies TW200 yamaha they are almost perfectly matched in a race except that i get better fuel mileage (different carb). I also think it is an exact copy of the TW engine. Every bolt and lever on the tw will fit on mine. I paid 1600 new and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Well said whitapple good to see an add on to the Sierra's quality and also that TW200 parts are bolt on replacements.

I just bought a FMF Q2 exhaust for my Sierra, once installed I will post pics again and report on any changes to its performance.

Hey please do post what you find out about the exhaust change. I have wondered if the Sierra stock exhaust is a little restrictive since it is so quiet. Is the "FMF Q2" something made for the Zongshen and where would i find one if it is worth having?

I got my Q2 from ebay, a guy had a bike he was parting out, and this was one of the items he had up for sale.

I will take some pics of the install process, its not a slip-on, some welding will have to happen, therefore I havent started the process yet, waiting on time off from work and some assistance getting the bike to the muffler shop for fitting and welding.

WOW...I just bought a Sierra 200 from www.usawholesalescooters.com and have spoken with the Miami importer at www.zongshenamerica.com and he says they carry parts for the Sierra line.

This would be my first ever motorcycle, and I must admit, the looks of the bike really got me. If this doesnt pan out...I think I'll go with a KLR650.

:)

I also purchased a zongshen sierra. The bike rides good but there are some things you need to know about the zongshen before you ride on the street. Make sure you carry extra plugs incase they foul out on you and make sure you get your wheels balanced out because at high speeds the front wheel whobbles.

I like the bike it gets great gas millage and performs quite well for a 200cc

You can get aftermarket parts to fit the bike like the fmf exhaust pipe for the suzuki enduro and have it welded on for better flow but you need to rejet the carb with a 125 to 130 jet you can get this at martin racing and performace's web site it would also be a good idea if you want your bike to go faster to get yourself a performace cdi unit for your bike make sure you call them for the correct part. The exhuast will run you 200.00 and the jets will run you about 35.00. The cdi unit runs about 50 bucks well worth having if you want your bike to go go go

I left a report at 1500 miles that everything is fine and the same now at 2700 miles. Runs great, dependable, still averaging 72 mpg. This is not some muscle bike and riding into a strong wind is a little bit of a challenge if you want to do over 50. Someone noted to carry a spark plug but i've never even had mine out of the engine yet. No real complaints yet so it seems to be well worth the money i spent.

3800 miles, no change. I think it actually runs better now than when new (should since it is broke in now)

Well here it is, will a Zongshen bike be of decent quality? I want something for cheap transportation around college. I dont want anything that someone would steal or if soemthing happens to it I dont want to be upset. So how well will it hold up?

http://yakima.craigslist.org/mcy/665821844.html

Thanks for any advice,

-mt-

the zongshen is a well made motorcycle the engine runs really well and has on one occasion givin me one problem that was soon fixed by the dealer. I have never since had a problem with the motorcycle. Now i have recently found a site that you can purchase a new motor (performance motor) that will increase hp to 38+ instead of 15.

http://saturdaynightcycles.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=240

they have engine rebuilds and engine enhancements that you can purchase pretty cheap. Check it out you might find some stuff that will make your zongshen fly

3800 miles, no change. I think it actually runs better now than when new (should since it is broke in now)[/quote\

i like my zongshen sierra it runs really good but im going to upgrade some of the parts on the bike to make it zoooooommmm found a site with performance upgrades for zongshen and all other makes

I left a report at 1500 miles that everything is fine and the same now at 2700 miles. Runs great, dependable, still averaging 72 mpg. This is not some muscle bike and riding into a strong wind is a little bit of a challenge if you want to do over 50. Someone noted to carry a spark plug but i've never even had mine out of the engine yet. No real complaints yet so it seems to be well worth the money i spent.

you can go over 50 on the bike alot of times what keeps you from running over 50 is that carb not being set correctly there are two screws onthe carb that have to be adjusted to make it run faster also you need to drill a few holes in the air box for more flow

Hey please do post what you find out about the exhaust change. I have wondered if the Sierra stock exhaust is a little restrictive since it is so quiet. Is the "FMF Q2" something made for the Zongshen and where would i find one if it is worth having?

check out motosport.com they have them in stock about 200 bucks for one but there are other exhausts that will work for the motor the pro circuit 304 will work but you will have to find out what porting you will need to increase flow

What site are you referrering to that has performance upgrades, would love to get a copy of that URL.

Please share it.

Thanks!