Sign in to follow this  

Hand Exercises!

i have been squeezing a foam ball slowly and releasing it slowly so that it works bot the top of my forearm and the bottom. last time i went to the track i didn't have arm pump near as bad. im sure there are more things you can do, but i saw the ball about a month ago and gave it a shot and it helped a bit.

I think some pro's eat bananas before they race. The last couple time I rode I tried this, but Im old and slow anyway. I think they helped.

I have an hand grip exceriser that is sping loaded that I piked up at Wal-mart. I have about a 20 min comute to work. I use it to strengthen my grip, I also eat bananas, take multi vitamins, and BC powder before each race. The aspirin in the BC powder helps with arm pump also.

I have only had arm pump a couple of times, but I never want it again.

Each person is different, so try different things until you find what helps with your arm pump.

My 2 cents

a weight tied to a rope and the other end to the middle of a wooden/metal rod... roll that up and down a couple times with your hands and you will feel the burn... hope you can picture what im talking about.

a weight tied to a rope and the other end to the middle of a wooden/metal rod... roll that up and down a couple times with your hands and you will feel the burn... hope you can picture what im talking about.

yeah i can, i remeber my dad saying somthing about that

I've seen another post that had a good tip about doing finger snaps for a minute and then rest a minute and do this over daily and then the arm pump will go away? I've done this + the gym twice a week and hold more with my legs and armpump is gone.

Im just now comming off an ACL and Meniscus injurys to my knee and Im struggling very badly with arm pump. I couldent run over the winter and just lifted weights. So now i have more strength then endurance and thats whats messing me up (good to know now) so running and endurance training is whats going to solve arm pump, not squezzing tennis balls or whatever. Any more questions just ask

Luke, I don't know. I run about 30 miles a week, and lift 4 nights a week, and dont have a problem with practicing for hours at a time. But, I can line up on the gate and by the forth lap I'm about ready to pull off and quit before I get hurt. I think that when I ride about 3 times a week, thats when arm pump goes away.

Stretching is key. I play music too,and every time before I start,I stretch. some of these stretches can be done pre-ride as well. Instead of me posting a wall of text, I'm sure you can find some vids on youtube about stretches.I'd try searching Guitar/bass warmups or hand stretches. Or if you know a musician...ask them to show you some. Hope that helps.

Yeah this is what me and my hubby do, also do the handgrippers, we bought the set with the 100lb, 150, 200,250, and 300... altough the 300 is pointless so far!! all this def helps though, we seem to go a lot farther than others before arm pump fatigue!