100% streets on an s

I need street onlytires on my s. Yes I know its kind of a shame and all but with the gas prices The 12 mile to a gallon truck just isnt an option any more. My question is can any body give me a reason I cant just go with a "cruiser tire" or do I have to get a "dual sport". Also what is the highest mileage tire I can get for my s. I dont care about cornering and sticky or twisties or any of that stuff that Ive spent the last couple of days reading about. Just the mileage (Think old, fat, slow commuter) Thanks guys.

i and others i have convinced run the Kenda 761. it corners well and is 80 percent road 20 percent offroad. they are not expensive and i LOVE them. sometimes they are hard to find though and frequently out of stock.

i like Avon Distanzia dual sport tires. i've got about 4k on the ones on my xr650r and they look as good as new. also run them on a 250 super sherpa and they are also really nice. they say dual sport, but really they are 99% street, they just have deep treads. i ran some metzler lasers a long time ago, but they are basically cruiser tires and they kind of sucked.

the avons last and handle great in the dry or wet. when they slip out they are very predictable.

If you are looking for the best value for your money, I think the used Trailwings installed by yourself is the cheapest route. The used prices are climbing up in price from a few years ago, the word is getting out that they are pretty good for the road. I got 6500 miles on the originals, less on the used ones according to the wear on them. I've got close to 24,ooo miles on my bike now and am nearing the end my 6th set, I just paid 65$ for my 7th set including shipping, the most I've ever paid, but seems like everything costs more these days.

Plus they are better offroad than a street only tire in case you ever go offroad.

The stock trailwings are great on the road, and still adequate for gravel roads and such. I just switched back to the stock tires (from knobbies) since my DRZ is mostly being used as a commuter right now. Went back to 15/44 gearing as well. That setup is great on the road. I now get 50-52mpg on my commute (got 47-48 with the knobbies and 14/44 gears), and thats with me making no effort whatsoever to conserve fuel :eek: .

If you are looking for the best value for your money, I think the used Trailwings installed by yourself is the cheapest route.

You mean to tell me people actually pay to get them put on !? I guess I've always been to cheap. Besides three tire spoons and a six pack is a great evening avoiding folks while I'm holed up in the shop for me.

So far it looks like the kenda or the maxxis for me. Now where do I get'em at? I'll have to use the net due to the fact that our local bike shop kinda stinks at stocking any thing. I realy wonder if the bathroom has ever had any extra toilet paper ordered for it, let alone stocking the parts shelves.

i'm going to fit the trailwings back on mine soon as all my local green lanes have been shut down and reclassified so i just you the DRZ for commuting and the front MT21 is starting to mis-shape already!

great thread..thanks:thumbsup: