'98 WR400F vs newer 400 & 426?

Hey guys,

There's a used '98 WR400F for sale not too far from me that sounds interesting. Its a lot cheaper then the newer 400 & 426's that I have seen.

Can any of you tell me if the differences between the 98 and the later years are significant?

Any things to look out for, or mandatory upgrades?

I do mainly tight, wet woods riding up here in the NorthWet, with some occiasional trail riding in the Cascades where its a little dryer and the trails are a little more open (Little Naches, Easton, Cle Elum).

I was hoping to get a new or newer 400 or 426 or maybe even a WR250F, but I am having trouble raising the money, and I could afford this bike right now, so I am tempted to go check it out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ed

ps: I rode a nicely setup 2000 WR400F recently and loved it.

If the '$' is right for you, it was maintained properly and runs good when you test ride it, it should be a good bike. The biggest changes from '98 to '02 were; better carburation, stronger clutch and titanium valves.

Good luck...Mike

The 98's are good bikes mine has done a swag of kays no major dramas. The newer ones will steer better/tighter. the titanum valves are not always good they bed in and have to be re shimmed after around 1500-2000km's though dont need much attention after that where as mine is on original shims. The 426/250 have a differnt header higher bend where the 400's you have to loosen off to change oil filter, they still have takasago rims on the 98's just not excells and i feel they are stronger than the excells anyways i have hit biiiig stuff and still fairly round. grease the steering bearings and linkages once a year drop the oil after the 3rd tank or after every race meete run good fuel and a good plug and you wont have any problems as long as it has been kept well

I've got a 98. I run the hell out of it. Original clutch, no carb mods. The bike runs good and has been very reliable. I ran the forks up in the clamp 0.350" and it turns fine. I don't feel the 98's had any "major" failings, at least not in my experience with one. I say:

Buy it. Ride it. Break it, Fix it. Repeat cycle.

Just my $.02