Replacement sprockets on 08 450 EXC-R, brand reccomendations?

Time to replace the stock 15/45 setup with 14/47 or so. Thinking steel or steel alloy rear and front. Who's sprockets will give me the best bang for the buck and work with the current O-Ring chain?

Thanks,

Hamp

My vote is for the stealth sprocket or super sprox....

Steel teeth. Aluminum main body. Light and strong. I have 2600 miles of mixed rough trail and hwy blasting on mine. It still looks new!

PIC01638.jpg

Plus it has a good bling factor.

I havent seen anything other than a steel front sprocket. They are simple and cheap....Unless you buy the KTM hardparts one. Its steel simple steel and not cheap.

KTM Hardparts front sprocket=$26.00!!!

Basic generic cheapo from any online parts dealer=$10.00 and up. Rocky Mountain has em' for $8.99!

I bought a front sprocket cover just for its Orange blingi-ness. I dont think it has any true function.

I'm also wanting to change my 530s stock 15/45. I've been serching and have came up with 14/48 using stock chain, blue locktite, don't use an air impact to install, tourque to 44#, do you have to heat the front sprocket bolt ?

I'm also wanting to change my 530s stock 15/45. I've been serching and have came up with 14/48 using stock chain, blue locktite, don't use an air impact to install, tourque to 44#, do you have to heat the front sprocket bolt ?

I use an impact to get the front sprocket off.....I havent used heat.

I havent really checked the torque on em'. I use my breaker bar and get it pretty tight on the RFS bikes or the countershaft seal will leak. Dunno about the new 08 motors though.

14/48 seems tall unless you are doing lots of street and dual sporting. I would say if you are going to trail ride that bike you may consider 14/50.

I started with 14/50 on mine and ended up at 13/50 and its perfect for trails bgoth tight and quaded out yet still cruises at 70 MPH. I would assume the internal gear ratio's on the 08's and 07's are very close?

Steel is thew only way to go most bang for the buck.

Thats all I use is steel I been riding for over 30 years the other ones cost more and don't last half as long.

Thats where the goodness of the Stealth sprocket comes into play. If you look at the photo of my sprocket above you will see that the teeth are steel and the main body of the sprocket is aluminum.

These things arent the cheapest but they certainly rock.

I'll check out the Stealth sprockets, they sound like what I'm looking for and definitely look cool. Never seen anything but steel for the front either, but good to know the price differnce is so huge for the Hard Parts version.

Heat the countershaft sprocket - as with a gas torch??? Never had to do that with any other bike, could you describe in a little more detail? Thanks, Hamp

Ironman here with 14-51 combo. Will be changing out the 51 for a 52 as 51 has me hunting between 1st and second too much in the tight stuff. Staying in second or third more softens the throttle hit while threading the trees! ?

Yup, supersprox rear, renthal front, 14-52 on my 450 EXC-R, and I've had her up past 90 MPH a few times. 6th cruises nicely with 14-52. I bought a new chain. Buy your new rear tire and a 120 link chain and decide where you want the rear axle position, the remove links. I think 118 links has me a little too close for my new 130 90 18 MT 21 pirelli. Soon to find out. 13-50 might be the better set up, a tad taller numerically though. I think Munn's had a Supersprox combo price that looked good, not 100% it was Munn's though.

I bought a front sprocket cover just for its Orange blingi-ness. I dont think it has any true function.

? the purpose is to give off a mesmerizing calidascope effect- so when someone attempts to pass you they are hypnotized and fade back... ?

Heat the countershaft sprocket - as with a gas torch??? Never had to do that with any other bike, could you describe in a little more detail?

This is a good idea, it will help soften the loctite the factory put on the threads. Heat the head of the bolt with a torch before you try to remove it. Could save you a sheared bolt, I've seen 2 guys post to KTMTalk that this happened the first time they tried to remove the CS bolt.

Even as a newbie I can tell that my 08 450 EXC is geared too tall for the trail, but beacuse I am a broke newbie from buying the bike:cry: I want to remedy the problem cheaply. What about simply swapping the front for a 14? Will there be some bang for the buck there, or should I wait a couple of months and swap the rear at the same time??

Even as a newbie I can tell that my 08 450 EXC is geared too tall for the trail, but beacuse I am a broke newbie from buying the bike:cry: I want to remedy the problem cheaply. What about simply swapping the front for a 14? Will there be some bang for the buck there, or should I wait a couple of months and swap the rear at the same time??

I would go for a 13 as a near term quick fix. The 14 will not get you low enough IMO. Then when you need a new chain and sprockets adjust your ratio again if need be.