Settled the pink wire mod once and for all

I posted this at CRFsOnly, but figured that some people here might be interested as well.

---------------------------------

I have my 250X with the following mods:

CCC airbox, screen removed

JD Jet kit, 165/42/red on 5th clip

Heavy O-Ring

fuel screw 3/4 turn out

I have a stock exhaust that has the diffuser removed, and I just got a brand new 250R exhaust system.

I am going to Marietta Motorsports tomorrow, and I will try different combinations with the two headers and two cans I have, as well as the pink wire on and off.

This shop is run by Craig "Huey" Stewart and Chris "Opie" Caylor, both having a long career in racing and tuning for various AMA teams. They do great work, and Huey is going to give me some dyno time and we will see what pipe or combination of pipes works best

And we will see if the pink wire makes more or less power, both in peak power, but also in power per unit of time.

I will post up the dyno charts and all the results tomorrow night.

Part Deux:

Ok, the results are in!

My tuner forgot to email me the dyno charts, but I will post them up later.

We had two 250X's on the dyno today. Huey's is a 2007 250X, but it has the full CCC mod done to it per Honda's instruction. One thing that differs, is that he has a prototype M4 full exhaust race kit on it instead of the 250R pipe.

My 250X's specs are above, but we found that it was running a tad rich, so we moved the red needle from the 5th clip to the 4th and that made the motor happier.

I found that my bike made more power everywhere with the R exhaust kit, compared to the modded stock X system and the X header/R can combo.

Once we got the best setup for each bike, we did back to back dyno runs with the pink wire on and off.

First off, Huey's bike made 3HP more than mine on top due to the R cam, while mine made 2HP more through a good chunk of the mid-range.

But when we did the pink wire mod to each bike, each bike made about 2HP more in the 10-12k RPM range. When you see the dyno charts(as soon as he remembers to email them to me), it is very clear that the pink wire does more than just increase the rev-limiter, because the extra power is being made in the 10-12k range, and not the 12-23k range that the rev-limiter extends.

So there is a definite increase from timing or something else, and it had the same proportional increase with both the stock X cam and the R cam.

I will post up the dyno charts as soon as I get them.

Very good info thank you. I have moved to a more open riding area.. I will be looking for power in all different places.. I am glad I put my pink wire on a toggle switch.. Might be time to try er out again ?

hmmm, i never felt that big of a gain when I pulled mine

Well, it may depends on your particular motor, how it is jetted, what other mods you did, etc...

But we tried two different bikes, different years, different mods, different cams, and in both cases, had nearly the same result.

317015680.jpg

Couple things you can see here.

One is that the R cam makes a decent increase on top.

And you can also see that the 250R pipe is an improvement over stock. While peak HP does not go up much, it also doesn't drop off as fast.

Not huge gains, but clearly there is something going on with the pink wire other than increased revs.

Do we now conclude from your '06 numbers that the X muffler gives more hp and torque than the R muffler? And keeping the X can and pink wire connected makes you lose .10 hp, but gains you .17 in torque? ?

you guys need to look at the BIGGER picture here. Yes the green setup may offer more Hp and Tq for 100 rpm....but the blue setup provides for 1-2 more Hp from 9K rpm and above!!!!

I'm interested to see what the numbers would be with the green setup and the wire disconnected. Would it be better than the R can? It's possible that the bike works better with the X can.

I'm interested to see what the numbers would be with the green setup and the wire disconnected. Would it be better than the R can? It's possible that the bike works better with the X can.

very true. I was just remarking on this specific graph.

That's a good point. I also want to see the stg 1 hotcam numbers with the different exhaust set ups compared to the R cam.

• 8 years later...