DRZ 400 E Gearing - What sprockets???

So, it is about time for me to change the sprocket (rear at least) on my 01' DRZ 400 E. The gearing right now, I believe is stock original and I find it to be a little too tall for some technical riding and find it can result in more clutch work. Some reading would lead me to believe that the stock gearing on a E is either 15/44 or 15/47. Which one is it? What should I be looking at for a replacement sprocket, rear only, or both. I would like something that will give it a little more snap and slow things down a bit when the terrain gets rutted. Let me know what you experienced riders think I should go with. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Colin

If you aren't consistently running high speeds (on-road) gearing down for the technical stuff can't be beat. Front sprockets are cheap and easy to swap out.

(

Stock E is 14/47......try 13/47. That is all I run off-road at this point for rocky hilly terrain (13/48).

14/49 is a nice off road gear for trail riding in my opinion. Works good in sand, lose trails, steep rocky stuff and you can get enough speed on the dirt roads to kill or cripple yourself.

I agree. That's my set up and the power is very noticeable, especially on my first drop of the clutch and the front went airborne:thumbsup:

14/49 is a nice off road gear for trail riding in my opinion. Works good in sand, lose trails, steep rocky stuff and you can get enough speed on the dirt roads to kill or cripple yourself.