Sign in to follow this  

Bought a 2001 XR70 for my stepson ... any tips?

Hi guys,

We recently bought a 2001 XR70 for my stepson.

I've been right over it checking/adjusting/lubricating:

1. Brakes.

2. Cables

3. Swingarm pivot

4. All pivot points (levers etc.)

5. De-carboned the spark arrestor

6. Engine oil

Is there anything I should look out for on the bike?

It blows a little smoke occasionally on acceleration. I think this would be caused by worn rings. In view of the fact that it starts very easily, I'm thinking of not worrying about new rings for now and simply keeping an eye on the engine oil level. Your thoughts?

Incidently, I changed the fork oil yesterday. I reckon it has never been looked at by previous owners. There was very little in each leg and what was in there looked like chocolate flavoured milk!

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Make sure you check the chain adjustment, and get "no fly off" chain lube. pj1 works good. check the sprockets and make sure the teeth don't have the fish hook appearance. oil the filter too. other than that, you should be ready to roll! good luck

M4crazy,

Checked all that mate, thanks. It generally seems to be in pretty good nick. Some wear on the rear brake cam pivot, but not too bad. I just greased it up and will monitor it in the future.

I'm mainly looking for tips about problems that exist in the XR70s. ie unusual sort of things that one wouldn't normally check.

eg. They tend to burn exhaust valves, or third gear fails sometimes (whatever) .... that sort if thing.

Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Greg

I bought a 1974 XL70 which has nearly the exact motor for 100 bucks beat to death. Cleaned the carb, points and drained the road tar oil. Runs like an animal. Its a 4 speed standard and can wheelie 2nd easy!

If you let the whole neighborhood ride it and never did a lick of maintenance... It would still probably out last you :thumbsup:

enjoy!