tm 250 08 advice please

hi all

currently riding a cr 250 07 but it is now quite tired (new oct 06) and am quite/very tempted by the new tm 250 my quetions are:-

how do they hold up ? ive had ktm before and i couldnt fault it despite what people say,

how do replacement part prices vary from those of honda suzuki etc?

forks and shock whats the qualitly like? marzochi/schacs

dare say ill think of some more! its just the intial price gives me reason to think as could do very good rebuild to the honda for alot less !

thanks jay

The TM250 is a good bike, parts should be no worse than any other brand with the exception of a few items. But quality costs more! Parts availability in UK is excellent as Nick (TM UK) keeps most in stock. You won't need to rebuild as often as the Honda 2t.

I would opt for the 50mm Marzocchi's and Ohlins rear personally.

Cheers

vroom

yea not worried about the avaliblty of parts as some freinds of ours have a tm dealership and kindly offered a me a chance to ride one, i will be looking to change towards the end of the year just need to decide weather to start clearing out all my honda spares!

guess i shall ask more question if/when i do try the bike only thing that really puts us off is if some thing breaks at a meeting your pretty stuffed as to being able to borrow one of another person,

decisions decions................!!

Part prices are similar to the OEM parts for japanese bikes, BUT there is almost no inexpensive aftermarket replacement parts available. That's what makes parts more expensive, in a way.

Front brake pads are standard Brembo stuff (KTM, HVA), rear is standard Nissin.

The rear Sachs is on par with any japanese rear shock. Ohlins is better, and is not that expensive as an option.

The 2008 machines all come in 50mm Marzocchi forks, which are excellent stuff. The only thing is they need some break-in, as they are a bit harsh in the beginning.

I'm a member in a French Tm forum as well, and all the seat of the pants opinions out there are that it's way more stable than equivalent KTM's at high speed (they talk mostly about Enduro versions).

and all the seat of the pants opinions out there are that it's way more stable than equivalent KTM's at high speed (they talk mostly about Enduro versions).

It's definitely more stable than the KTM's of my team mates ?

I'm glad I chose the Marzocchi/Ohlins-combo ?

In the beginning the Marzocchi's are indeed pretty harsh, but's they behave way better than the Kayaba/Paioli's on my previous (2006-model) bike.

Initial price, fear of the unknown, and last but not least - WAY underpriced Japanese bikes sold in the USA. In Europe, Japanese bikes cost the same as in the USA, you just have to change the $ sign with an Euro sign :-D

So when you see a WR250F sold at 7000+ Euros, that puts things in perspective as to is it a good idea to add 800 Euros to go for a Tm. But being in the UK you must know what I'm talking about ?

The little I've seen of Tm is that they are pragmatic people. They know what they want, they know what they do, and what was a pleasant surprise - they don't overcharge for parts. In my country, their clutch plates are the least expensive compared to what the other importers charge. Same for everyday stuff. Now if you want to change a cylinder head, it hurts. But it comes with the copper-beryllium valve seats from the factory, this stuff costs an arm and leg aftermarket for the Japanese brands.

What you need to see is if you really need the extra stuff that comes with a Tm. If you do - it's definitely worth the price tag. From what I remember, the extra stuff is: CNC triple clamps (with a antivibe insert option), marzocchi 50mm front, rear Ohlins option (sachs stock), beefy handlebar, CNC wheel hubs, Excel rims (I don't know if the other bikes which come with Excel rims have the top of the line stuff, Tm does, now I don't think they come with A60 rims, that has to be verified), 270mm front rotor (Tm made) with Brembo caliper, hydraulic clutch, cylinder head on the MX versions comes with beryllium copper seat valves. Sprockets are top notch, etc, etc...

Ah, and the little details like the linkage bearings - well, they come well greased with this nice high quality grease, not some flimsy drops of "I was here but now i'm not" grease which I've seen on other bikes fresh from the crate.

In short - they mean business. For example, on the Enduro versions the headlight is ugly looking (or looks a few generations behind, at least), but gives a real nice beam, it's meant to help you see, not only to be seen.

Here are a few pics I took at the factory, they speak more than a lot of words ?

http://picasaweb.google.com/goblin7/TmFactory

Thanks for the pic's.

Myself, interested in a 2008/2009 300mx, but very little information available. Not seen any ride reviews of the 300mx, just adds to the worry of purchasing a bike you know very little about.

The only reviews of the new machines I've found so far are in motocrossdigital . com .

You have a test of Manuel Priem's motocrosser in the Sept (or Oct) 2007 issue, then small reviews in the last 2 or 3 issues this year. But they are more contacts than real tests. And no test of the 300 2-stroke, just the 250/450 4-stroke and 144 2-stroke.