Sign in to follow this  

300xcw/race fuel?

I noticed in the manual that 95 octane is recommended. Are you guys cutting race fuel or just running premium pump gas? We ride in very hot conditions also, should I run a 40:1 mix to offset the heat? thanx for your support. Just picked the bike up today, I'm stoked. :thumbsup:

I noticed in the manual that 95 octane is recommended. Are you guys cutting race fuel or just running premium pump gas? We ride in very hot conditions also, should I run a 40:1 mix to offset the heat? thanx for your support. Just picked the bike up today, I'm stoked. :rolleyes:

I run 91...at 45:1 so where did you find one at?:thumbsup:

I run 91...at 45:1 so where did you find one at?:thumbsup:

Motohouse in Phoenix, AZ talk to Jeremy he has one more - $7100 OTD. :rolleyes:

I use 93 octane. It works fine. I am not a gasoline expert, but I did read a good bit on the subject when I noticed the same thing in my owners manual. The 95 octane the owners manual refers to is the RON. We just use a little different method in the United States to come up with the octane number. Our octane number is usually about 4 points less that the RON of the same gas. Most European pumps deliver 95(RON) octane gas as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 gas here in the U.S. :thumbsup:

I just run premium as well with a 40:1 oil ratio. Just can't see paying the cost of race fuel on a stock motor in a bike that is just used for the occassional race and most for trail riding.

Congrats on the new ride!

I picked my 08 300xcw up at Bernies in Mesa az. 2 weeks ago. I'm running the dealer recommended 40:1 with 93 octane and jetting: 1.5 AS - N3CH #3 -162 main, very nice but a tad rich in the heat.

I usually run 100 octane in mine, it seems a little better then 93

I tried 110 and it made the bike run like crap.

my bike is only a 200 though

93 w/ MANUFACTURE recommended 50:1 Motorex...

Actually my manual reads 60:1 - just can't bring myself to do it.

I too have an 08 300 XCWe. I run 50-1 Motorex Low Smoke. Premium pump gas, N3CH needle #3 position, air screw 1.5 turns 162 main, stock pilot. 46.8 hrs on the motor, runs perfect. I would go to the 10-30 motorex gear oil after you wash it the first time and water down the gear oil. Reroute the vent hose over the frame. Then install a coolant recovery bottle. :thumbsup: It took me 20-25 hours to get comfortable with the bike. I can't remember what riding a 4t was like. I love this thing!!:rolleyes: ENJOY:thumbsup:

I too have an 08 300 XCWe. I run 50-1 Motorex Low Smoke. Premium pump gas, N3CH needle #3 position, air screw 1.5 turns 162 main, stock pilot. 46.8 hrs on the motor, runs perfect. I would go to the 10-30 motorex gear oil after you wash it the first time and water down the gear oil. Then install a coolant recovery bottle to keep it from happening again! :thumbsup: It took me 20-25 hours to get comfortable with the bike. I can't remember what riding a 4t was like. I love this thing!!:rolleyes: ENJOY:thumbsup:

Where's the water getting into the gear box?

Where's the water getting into the gear box?

During deep water crossings or when washing, the crankcase vent hose is likely to allow moisture/water in. The first time I saw it, it freaked me out. I thought I had a bad w/pump seal or worse. Takes a couple changes to get the moisture out. There is a thread here, or KTM talk that addresses that issue. I looped a new hose over the top of the frame and did away with the stock vent point.

As for the coolant overflow bottle, it seems like the thing to do, rather than venting to the ground with no chance of recovery. Both fixes were cheap and cured the only issues I've had with the bike.:thumbsup:

During deep water crossings or when washing, the crankcase vent hose is likely to allow moisture/water in. The first time I saw it, it freaked me out. I thought I had a bad w/pump seal or worse. Takes a couple changes to get the moisture out. There is a thread here, or KTM talk that addresses that issue. I looped a new hose over the top of the frame and did away with the stock vent point.

As for the coolant overflow bottle, it seems like the thing to do, rather than venting to the ground with no chance of recovery. Both fixes were cheap and cured the only issues I've had with the bike.:thumbsup:

Is there a coolant bottle made for the fix or do I have to make one?

For a recovery tank search the Drz forum for "Turkey baster mod". Small, cheap, works great. Looks good enough that no will suspect you for the shameless thing you've done.