What would 13 front 52 rear sprocket setup do?

Too small a front sprocket. It will eat into your swingarm and slider. Stick with the 52 or 53T rear sprocket. I take it you are talking the 450 and 525 engines ?

DR

No disrespect to DR, but I've been running 13/52 for several years with no issues.

I do check my swing arm/slider every couple of months. Some have said they have seen wear.

• Like 1

13 is fine up front, some of the models come from the factory with 13's.

13/50 on my 525 EXC. Perfect on the tight singletrack yet still hwy speed capable.

• Like 1

I listened to Dwight about the golden rule of sag and used his recommended spring, and it handles great now.

I also listened about my jetting and using a float bowl with O-ring mod, and it has no bog anymore.

I also listened to his recommendation of a 14/52 sprocket combo and I find it to be great in the tight stuff with adequate engine braking and stump pulling power.

So my recommendation is to listen to Dwight. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

i have a 450 and have 13/50 gearing, i imagine 14/52 gearing is almost the same thing, i think(though i could be wrong) that going down one tooth on the front is like going up 3 on the back. I suggest trying out 13/50 or 14/52 if you havent already and go from there.

Too small a front sprocket. It will eat into your swingarm and slider. Stick with the 52 or 53T rear sprocket. I take it you are talking the 450 and 525 engines ?

DR

K, i heard it was good for close woods so i was just wondering. i ride a 450 MXC

Again, full respect to Dwight, but I've had 13-52 on my bike since 2003 and still have the same slider on. And yes, I actually do ride it!:thumbsup:

It probably depends on the positioning of the rear wheel, as some people HAVE had an issue. I like the gearing for the riding I do; very tight mountain trails. I've never been much for fanning a clutch, so ability to pull from LOW speed is critical and I can still go as fast as I'd like even on a gravel road.

If 14-52 doesn't feel low enough I wouldn't be afraid of 13-52, but do check the slider.

Why change both sprockets?

If your looking for lower gearing,

most people leave the front alone... and go up TWO teeth in the rear.

I run 13/50.

It's perfect. 13/52 seems low to me.

That would be the equivilent on my bike 13/48 stock gearing,

dropping the front from a 13 down to a 12. 12/48 was WAY TOO LOW.

It was horrible, no top end, gears were way to short.

4 teeth in the rear is the same as 1 tooth up front, or close.

Try 13/50 or 51 first.

I had 14f and 50r but just changed to 13f and 50r, what a wheelie monster!

I have enough chain length so i can swap front from 13 to 14 with just an adjustment.

I run 13/52 on my 400exc. I have not seen any signs of damage yet. Northern Ontario has no deserts to race in, we are much like the roots/clay/rocks hills of eastern U.S.

Great for singletrack and I can still hit 140KPH on the highway. Plenty fast and according to the men in BLUE, I would be thrown in jail these days for racing or stunting and could lose my licence for 90 days right off the bat.

My REKLUSE should be here sometime in June. That will be the CRAWLERS dream !!

I am running the 13 and 52. My experience with a 12 up front was not as good. I could be wrong but I believe the chain wore faster with the 12 versus the 13.

Good luck,

• Like 1

13/52 here works well in the tight woods of PA. Ran it for the last year and the chain guide looks good. This gearing keeps you off the clutch and helps prevent overheating. I run in 2nd and 3rd most of the time which keeps you from hitting neutral.

I agree with the 13:50 setup, but really gearing is a personal preferance, as tothe 13 wearing the slider, BS I've ran a 13 on my 525 for 5 years now, I've replaced a grand total of one slider and it wasent that bad, and there what 12 bucks? I hate what a huge rear sprocket does to the suspension and its much more vulnerable to getting hit as well.

Mike

I think ill go with a 13/50 or 53. i just dont have any pull power unless i harrass my clutch. i ride tight woods and a lot of up hill and i find my self in a pickle trying to get up some of them because my bike wants to wuss out.

Im just curious what 13F 52R sprockets would do. Is it a good set up for an enduro?

I ran the 13/52 on my RFS for a while in tight woods here in N.Cal, was always shifting, shifting, and shifting.

2nd was too low, 3rd was too high. Went to 14/52- 2nd around the trees, 3rd & fourth on the straits.

Logically, you'd think the lower gearing would work better, but after I put on the 14 front I found the "Not caught between gears again" sweet spot.

Run 14/50 on the 300, but the smoker ain't so finicky..

I ran 13/50 for 5 years on my '02 EXC, never wore out the chain guide/slider, etc. I run the same on my '07 450 EXC and no problems so far (about 1000miles):thumbsup:

I ran a 13/52 combo on my 01' 400EXC for 6,000+ miles and replaced the slider once out of guilt. It was only 1/2 worn through.

I've run a 13/53 combo on my current 02' 400EXC for 2,000+ and no issues.

Must be that special WD-40 chain lube I've used for 8 years? :thumbsup:

The rumors regarding the 13-tooth front sprockets wearing the chain slider fast are all part of a "sprocket conspiracy" being spread by the manufacturers of 14 and 15-tooth sprockets so they can corner the market! :rolleyes: