WR250R Engine Heat

I have not lost a drop of coolant since my bike was new. I have ridden it in a race that covered the radiator completely with mud and the fan ran most of the time, did it's job! Whe I am riding and stop I leave the key on until the fan shuts off.

Swarty

Doesn't that put a big drain on the battery?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem to bother it, the fan only runs for a couple of minutes. I hate to park it hot, if the fan in running something is telling it to. I was more concerned with just shutting it down than draining the battery. Usually in that situation the battery has just gone through a high rev battery charging anyways

Swarty

I do the same thing. I also think it cools the rad only because the water pump only pumps while the engine runs. However, if the rad is several degrees cooler than the engine, it might slowly pull some of that heat out of the engine through convection. Or atleast not allow it to get hotter.

I have not lost a drop of coolant since my bike was new. I have ridden it in a race that covered the radiator completely with mud and the fan ran most of the time, did it's job! Whe I am riding and stop I leave the key on until the fan shuts off.

Swarty

I haven't heard of anyone losing coolant, so not sure what you are talking about there. I will say you're wasting your time letting the fan run. Nothing is going to happen to your engine if you shut it off while the fan is still running. If you are going to let the bike sit for awhile anyhow, what are you accomplishing by dong that? The engine will cool down on it's own without the fan. Like blueshopsuper said, all you are doing is cooling the rad, not the coolant in the engine. Unless the water pump is working, the coolant is not circulating, so running the fan is not cooling the coolant in the engine at all. All you are dong is draining your battery a little. Just shut the key off.

I run water wetter and like everyone else, do not get as much heat. The bike has the fan because it only has 1 radiator, which is small compared to streetbike standards. I also run Amsoil, which lowers engine temp. I richened 0 to 1/4 turn throttle with my FMF fuel programmer. Lastly, I drilled tons of holes in my skidplate to allow more cool air to the cases. Fan does not come on much anymore unless stuck at light in 100 degree heat.

I got the force radiator guard but have not installed it yet. Do you have to trim the fan shroud to install this guard? I haven't really looked but i would think if the fan had no shroud it would only cool a small area of the radiator?

I have a s10 truck i put a v8 in and the electric fan has a shroud that covers the hole radiator and funnels down to the fans,is this not the case with the wr fan?

Thanks

Jim

I got the force radiator guard but have not installed it yet. Do you have to trim the fan shroud to install this guard?

Fan shroud gets removed altogether, both front and rear.

Only trimming I had to do was a small nick in the tab on the bottom of the blue plastic fuel tank wing/shroud, where it connects to the bottom of the radiator.

Also, the guard is a pain to install because of the alignment of the access holes to get at the bolts that hold it in place. It may be easier if you have a die grinder and open up the holes to allow for a socket extension to line up straight with the holes. Otherwise, you're forced to finger start the hardware in some awkward spots to prevent cross threading.

FYI, thermocap appears to be fairly accurate. Tested in near freezing water and boiling water and temperatures indicated very close to what they should actually be.

That's good to hear. I just ordered one. Thanks for the pics.