Why doesn't it turn

Ok... here's the deal. I recently picked up a 2001 YZ250. I raced it this past weekend instead of the wr450. I have to learn how to really ride a two stroke. Its a different world.

The problem that I have is that after riding te YZ250, it amplifies in my mind how bad the wr450 is at turning. I really need to quicken the steering. I feel like I got the front fork setup pretty good. But it doesn't turn as quick as the YZ.

What can I do to quicken the steering?

You can try a rekluse e axle. It is an eccentric axle that adjusts the offset of the front wheel. If you move it forward it will reduce steering effort and give a lighter steering feeling, however it will reduce straight line stability. I bet it will still probably be more stable than a 2smokey. The newer aluminum frame wr's are a bit more nimble too.

you could try moving your forks up in the triple clams, the farther up you go the more steering you have, but less high speed stability

also, check to see how tight the king nut is on the steering stem, if its really tight it will make the steering stem actually move slower, i did this on my yz when i rebuilt it... i torqued it to spec then was like ***? and loosened it a bit and it turned very quick after that.

What tire are you running on the WR? The stocker is really poor at things like turning.

I have a dunlop 756 on the front. Its in good shape and is usually a good tire. Maybe I will try the bridgestone 401 that is on the YZ. Its seems real stable.

you could try moving your forks up in the triple clams, the farther up you go the more steering you have, but less high speed stability

Maybe that's what I can try. As far as high speed stability... high speed for me is about 50-55mph in the dirt. It could be just a little more when on the

asphalt since I am dual sported. I shouldn't suffer too much at that speed.

Has anyone else tried this?

I have a dunlop 756 on the front. Its in good shape and is usually a good tire. Maybe I will try the bridgestone 401 that is on the YZ. Its seems real stable.

Maybe that's what I can try. As far as high speed stability... high speed for me is about 50-55mph in the dirt. It could be just a little more when on the

I felt the same way after getting off a friends YZ250. The WR is never going to feel the same, but moving the forks up about a 1/4" in the triple clamps did make a difference. I didn't notice any handling issues at higher speeds (60 mph in the dirt), but I also have a steering stabilizer. When you move the forks, make sure that you only torque the clamp bolts to spec. Any tighter and the suspension will suffer. Good luck.

The 756 is a good tire, much better than the stocker.

You are probably feeling a combination of stiffer suspension and 35lbs less weight. You could gain part of what you are looking for if you get your supension redone by the right shop. How much do you weigh?

The 756 is a good tire, much better than the stocker.

You are probably feeling a combination of stiffer suspension and 35lbs less weight. You could gain part of what you are looking for if you get your supension redone by the right shop. How much do you weigh?

I weight 210 (give or take a bbq beef sandwhich!)

I already had ESP do the suspension

I weight 210 (give or take a bbq beef sandwhich!)

I already had ESP do the suspension

Then you should see what they suggest.

My '05 was redone by the previous owner for MX and when I bought it, turning wasn't a problem, but I mostly trail ride and it would beat the crap out of me and wear me out by lunchtime. Also, it was terrible on technical hill climbs as the front would deflect badly. I have since had it redone again back into a trail bike and it does everything well, including turn. I also have the forks moved up into the clamps about 1/2" thanks to my sub mounted Scotts and BRP clamp. I think you can change the sag somehow to get more turning.

Is your rear sag set properly?

Ok... here's the deal. I recently picked up a 2001 YZ250. I raced it this past weekend instead of the wr450. I have to learn how to really ride a two stroke. Its a different world.

The problem that I have is that after riding te YZ250, it amplifies in my mind how bad the wr450 is at turning. I really need to quicken the steering. I feel like I got the front fork setup pretty good. But it doesn't turn as quick as the YZ.

What can I do to quicken the steering?

I felt the same way after getting off a friends YZ250. The WR is never going to feel the same, but moving the forks up about a 1/4" in the triple clamps did make a difference. I didn't notice any handling issues at higher speeds (60 mph in the dirt), but I also have a steering stabilizer. When you move the forks, make sure that you only torque the clamp bolts to spec. Any tighter and the suspension will suffer. Good luck.

I moved my forks up too and made a big difference with the stock front tire. It does great unless its slick. My suspension stuff will be ordered Friday and I'll get a new set of tires after thats done. I've had this thing nearly 3 years and had given up on it till I got a pipe and FINALLY got the carb right. I don't think enough people have spent enough money on a WR to really know how to get it to really haul ass and the ones who have don't get on here any more. I went though this same stuff with my Banshee 8 years ago. No one who would talk really knew how to get one to move. 3 years of reserch and riding it every way possible and I knew what it needed.

I think some of you are too kind to your WRs - this bike just feels heavier and "bigger" than others. For example my 2005 KTM525-EXC still felt lighter and quicker steering than even the new ali-frame WR450, let alone the older models.

But... and here's the thing, the KTM would headshake randomly and generally feel twitchy and unstable - quite scary at times.

I shall be experimenting with my 2006 WR to see if I can get it feeling more nimble, but at the same time accepting the perceived extra weight for the plusher suspension and warm feeling of security at speed over the KTM .....

TD

I raised the forks up to where the taper on the bottom of the upper parts under the clamp starts tapering at the bottom of the clamp. Thumbs up!

Then cranked the spring down in the back and got my sag at about 4", turned the compression as had as it would go, front and back, and set the rebound at about half. Two thumbs up!

Finally I put a stock YZ muffler on it and pitched the BOAT ANCHOR stock muffler and took the kick-stand off. BIG one thumb up.

My suspension stuff was ordered today. I weigh 235 and have it doing really good now. After I get the springs in it and forks rebuilt I'll tell you how it does with a 3 year-old stock front tire and a nearly bald 739 rear. Maxxis SI's with extra heavy-duty tubes will be next. THEN, we'll see what the difference in my WR half-ass stripped with extra's, and a stock KTM cost. I paid $5,800 for my WR new and I'm not anywhere near what a 450EXC cost. Hell, I'll even swap the lights out for YZ stuff and we'll compare to a 450XC. That will save a couple hundred.