Sign in to follow this  

Just joined the KTM family with a '04 300 exc

Hi all. I just purchased a 300 and was wondering what the common mods are. A previous owner has installed a different carburetor (same brand), but I'm not sure what was done. I think the suspension is all stock. I weigh 185 lbs. Any recommendations for suspension or power delivery? Thanks

Hi all. I just purchased a 300 and was wondering what the common mods are. A previous owner has installed a different carburetor (same brand), but I'm not sure what was done. I think the suspension is all stock. I weigh 185 lbs. Any recommendations for suspension or power delivery? Thanks

Lot of recommendations. :thumbsup:

1.) Search on KTMtalk for "3rd bushing mod". There is an extra fork bushing in the 03-04 bikes that cause binding under sharp hits - the result is all the force goes straight to your arms. IMHO, you cannot properly tune your 04 forks (or even develop an accurate opinion of them) before you get rid of the middle bushing. Free and easy mod to do and you can change your fork oil at teh same time. By and far the best mod I have ever done to any bike. I had the forks revalved and the extra bushing hid any improvements I may have gotten. I was starting to hate my bike because of the forks - now, they are not perfect, but so much better than before, I still am very happy.

2.) The PO may have put a 38mm PWM carb on from JD Jetting (that's how I got my bike). The 38mm carb works great for WFO throttle and adds about 2 peak horspower, however, if it is a PWM - the idle / low speed circuit can be tricky. This is not to say that you can't successfully use it - many people do, but I ride my 300 below 1/4 most of the time and the PWM made me foul plugs if I didn't rev it out often.

The easiest way to see it you have a PWM carb is to check how you adjust your idle - if it is a set screw, you most likely have a PWK (good). If you adjust idle speed by turning the choke knob, it is a PWM.

The PWM still gets the job done and well if you ride faster than a silly old man (me). I switched over to a 38mm PWK and was happy until I sent out my cylinder and head to Slavens - it came back and made so much power with the 38mm that I went back to a stock 36mm PWK. :ride:

Enjoy your "new" 300 - even with the small troubles I've run into, I cannot get over how awesome my 04 is and how much I love riding it.

the stock springs are in the ball park for you, maybe a little lite. The power valve has 3 springs that change the hit timing. The rear shock has a top out spring and you need to read up on how to set the sag to get it right. Many change to an 05 shock as an improvement. KTM chains are supposed to be loose. Look at the FAQ section for more info on KTM's.

Yeah, I definitely have the more aggressive one where the idle is adjusted on the choke knob. I haven't really ridden the bike much yet, but its primary use is woods and technical stuff so I'd prefer to use the stock carb with the proper jetting. Any recommendations? Thanks