Sign in to follow this  

New SSR70-B with super bog! HELP!

Well, I am beginning to wish I HAD waited for a used CRF50. I greased, loctited, and tore everything down tonight. I completely disassembled the Kehin carb (#80 Main jet, and an UNMARKED pilot jet) and cleaned it, hoping to resolve the bog. NOPE, bog is worse than ever. I can't even rev it without almost killing it. I tried the clip in every position from stock (3 of 5 is stock), and no difference. This thing will not rev without feathering the throttle gently. It starts and idles super strong. It just won't run above idle. I have checked the plug and everything else. The air filter is stock, and un-oiled as it comes stock. I regret this purchase now. :thumbsup:

needle is last clip (richest point) and adjust fuel screw out 2.5 turns, then report back. if that dnt help then i dunno, anything more than 2.5 turns out and you need a larger pilot.

also oil the filter well, this will help if its running to lean by letting less ait volume into the carb.

needle is last clip (richest point) and adjust fuel screw out 2.5 turns, then report back. if that dnt help then i dunno, anything more than 2.5 turns out and you need a larger pilot.

also oil the filter well, this will help if its running to lean by letting less ait volume into the carb.

I will give that a try this afternoon. The fuel screw is at about 2 or 2.5 turns out right now. I will oil the filter well, and slide the clip down all the way and see what happens. I will report....

There is an outside chance that it may have a bad CDI. There have been a few CDI on the Chinese bikes that will start and idle fine, but when rev'd the engine falls flat and sputters. The motor will not die when rev'd, but will not run without sputtering.

There is an outside chance that it may have a bad CDI. There have been a few CDI on the Chinese bikes that will start and idle fine, but when rev'd the engine falls flat and sputters. The motor will not die when rev'd, but will not run without sputtering.

Nates, correct ive run across a few of the bikes new out of the box with a bad rev box, weak coil and bad stator....hey it happens...:thumbsup:

Rev box is the most common

My 90R does this as well, but as it gets warmer it works a bit better. I think it's because I've got too small of a pilot jet.

Also, have you tried adjusting your idle up a little bit?? See if that helps at all. I found that I was originally trying to get the bike running with way too low of idle. I turned the idle up just a tad and it made a world of difference.

That is EXACTLY what this one does. Is there a way I can test the CDI and coil?

you cannot test any CDI box..

coil? depends if its internally grounded or externally grnded..should have some resistance etherway...

be carfull with the idle, if its to high then it will hang the slide open and cause mis reading when playing with the pilot screw, good luck though and see if you can swap cdi's with a local to test that too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can tell you that I am 99.9% sure this in NOT a carb/jetting issue. I am not a newb when it comes to carbs and jetting (see my posts early on in the stickied AP mod thread in the Honda 450 forum- I suggested the use of the o-ring that everyone is running now, years later).

I have completely disassembled the carb, cleaned and blown circuits with compressed air, checked the float height, and ensured the jets are clear. The spark plug is gapped and good, and no air leaks exist. The valves are both at .003". The pilot circuit is tuned very crisp. It starts easier, and idles stronger than any other bike I have ever owned!

A little history: First 15 minutes of the break in, minor bog when going WOT. Next day, rode for 10 minutes, and it bogged pretty bad. Thats when I started checking things out and playing with the needle setting- no help. Cleaned and checked carb, no help. This morning, I checked the electrical connections and ground- no help...it starts great and idles perfect, but now I can't even rev it. It falls on its face and sputters, and if I don't back off the throttle when sputtering, it will die. It won't take any throttle at all now. I think something electrical has been defective from the start, and the more it runs, the worse the short or electrical problem gets.

I just hate this, because it is such a neat little bike, and I think I will be super happy with it (my son, ultimately) once I get this issue figured out. I put new graphics on the plastic, and have a new red seatcover to put on tonight, so its gonna be sharp.

I sent out an email to Outlaw MS (Nate, is it?) about the CDI, and he has been great previously, and has said a new gas cap and throttle housing are being shipped out (broken and stripped, respectively, in shipping). I am sure all this will be taken care of, as I hear nothing but good things about this vendor.

I just wish I knew someone local to borrow a CDI to swap. Anyone I know with a bike is miles away.:thumbsup:

Send the CDI back to Nate,he can swap it on one of his bikes & see if it's bad then send out a new one if it is.

I'd bet that's the case,I replaced my stock CDI with an after market one & it ran the same as yours after a day.I stuck the stock one back on & it ran fine so I returned it as defective & got a replacement & it ran fine after that.

Send the CDI back to Nate,he can swap it on one of his bikes & see if it's bad then send out a new one if it is.

I'd bet that's the case,I replaced my stock CDI with an after market one & it ran the same as yours after a day.I stuck the stock one back on & it ran fine so I returned it as defective & got a replacement & it ran fine after that.

Thanks for the reassurance that the CDI may be the culprit. I am just betting that it is. I emailed Nate about this a couple days ago, but haven't heard back yet. I suspect he has been tied up or out of town, becasue he usually gets right back to me on email. Plus, it doesn't look like he has posted in a few days, so he may be unable to communicate electronically for some reason. No biggie, I ordered a replacement cheap enough off ebay, just to get one on the way. If that fixes it, I may look into buying a higher quality CDI in the future, to prevent another failure down the road. I guess if the new CDI doesn't do the trick, I'll look into a cheap replacement coil, and if still a no-go, I will look into the stator, but thats a last resort, as I don't have a flywheel puller.