Sign in to follow this  

New SSR70-B with super bog! HELP!

Well, I am beginning to wish I HAD waited for a used CRF50. I greased, loctited, and tore everything down tonight. I completely disassembled the Kehin carb (#80 Main jet, and an UNMARKED pilot jet) and cleaned it, hoping to resolve the bog. NOPE, bog is worse than ever. I can't even rev it without almost killing it. I tried the clip in every position from stock (3 of 5 is stock), and no difference. This thing will not rev without feathering the throttle gently. It starts and idles super strong. It just won't run above idle. I have checked the plug and everything else. The air filter is stock, and un-oiled as it comes stock.

Hang in there; we bought one for my kid 2 yrs ago and absolutely love it, esp. for what we paid ($550 shipped, from Nate @ outlaw motorsports). It should be an easy fix since the bike will always start easily and idles, then only dies when you open the throttle, then it is something simple.

I would say your float bowl is the culprit; set too low.

You are going to have to do some searches on the planet minis.com forum re carb settings though (they are huge into china bikes, not to knock TT), as I have adjusted my float setting and of course the air screw is a daily thing, depending on the humidity/weather, but this should be in the ballpark:

1. air screw=1.5 out

2. needle=2 from top

3. test the floatbowl fuel level= by removing the bowl, taking a syringe/other full of fuel and filling the bowl up until it runs over, putting 2 screws in it to hold it up, then see if the bike will now rev normally for a bit. IF it does, then your float level is not set right (you are running out of fuel once you open the throttle b/c the bowl is not filling up enough).

To set it: float level=with screws removed, hold emptied float bowl in place, leaving a hairline gap for observation. Have a friend turn on the fuel petcock.

Observe that the fuel fills up to the level of the bowl, then shuts off b/c the little brass floatsare now literally floating on the fuel; ie, ~LEVEL with the bowl's edge/your observation crack.

Adjsut the float bowl metal tab (called the tang) as needed, by GENTLY bending it a little bit and re-checking from step #1 above.

The second thing I would check is ensure that your main jet is not stopped up; sometimes they have manufacturing debris in them.

I gotta go to work now...

• Like 1

Hang in there; we bought one for my kid 2 yrs ago and absolutely love it, esp. for what we paid ($550 shipped, from Nate @ outlaw motorsports). It should be an easy fix since the bike will always start easily and idles, then only dies when you open the throttle, then it is something simple.

I would say your float bowl is the culprit; set too low.

You are going to have to do some searches on the planet minis.com forum re carb settings though (they are huge into china bikes, not to knock TT), as I have adjusted my float setting and of course the air screw is a daily thing, depending on the humidity/weather, but this should be in the ballpark:

1. air screw=1.5 out

2. needle=2 from top

3. test the floatbowl fuel level= by removing the bowl, taking a syringe/other full of fuel and filling the bowl up until it runs over, putting 2 screws in it to hold it up, then see if the bike will now rev normally for a bit. IF it does, then your float level is not set right (you are running out of fuel once you open the throttle b/c the bowl is not filling up enough).

To set it: float level=with screws removed, hold emptied float bowl in place, leaving a hairline gap for observation. Have a friend turn on the fuel petcock.

Observe that the fuel fills up to the level of the bowl, then shuts off b/c the little brass floatsare now literally floating on the fuel; ie, ~LEVEL with the bowl's edge/your observation crack.

Adjsut the float bowl metal tab (called the tang) as needed, by GENTLY bending it a little bit and re-checking from step #1 above.

The second thing I would check is ensure that your main jet is not stopped up; sometimes they have manufacturing debris in them.

I gotta go to work now...

Thanks for the help. I have checked the float height and jets, that is all good. I am beginning to wonder if the CDI is bad, as OutlawPowersports has suggested in my other thread in the Pitbike section. I just need a way to find out.

Yes, I like the bike, and you can't beat the price, I just want it to run right.

If you kick on it ~20 times and yank the plug out, is it wet?

If not then you are not getting the fuel...

If it is, then measure the resistance of your ignition coil, stator coils, and CDI, as well as verify continuity between all of them. Do a search for them under the follwoing id's on planet minis, b/c i posted them once i got mine running/solved, and these 2 guys helped me to do so, via their instructions: me, dragndave and thumperclone . Search for "coil, stator, ohms ".

Mine was the primary Stator coil (aka the exciter coil), and it gave me a problem once and totally/completely; but usually they will do what yours is doing, b/c they are producing current, but it is too weak and breaks down under a load, ie, revving.

fyi: I went to a wrecking yard and took one off an old 1979 yamaha dt175, worked like a charm to at least diagnose it/get running again. But I got a new one for ~10, and an ig coil was $7, etc from this guy that Planet minis uses a lot called tsetseni on e-bya; his stuff was good, fast, and cheapest of all others.

I, too, am a dad so I feel your pain! LoL.

If you kick on it ~20 times and yank the plug out, is it wet?

If not then you are not getting the fuel...

If it is, then measure the resistance of your ignition coil, stator coils, and CDI, as well as verify continuity between all of them. Do a search for them under the follwoing id's on planet minis, b/c i posted them once i got mine running/solved, and these 2 guys helped me to do so, via their instructions: me, dragndave and thumperclone . Search for "coil, stator, ohms ".

Mine was the primary Stator coil (aka the exciter coil), and it gave me a problem once and totally/completely; but usually they will do what yours is doing, b/c they are producing current, but it is too weak and breaks down under a load, ie, revving.

fyi: I went to a wrecking yard and took one off an old 1979 yamaha dt175, worked like a charm to at least diagnose it/get running again. But I got a new one for ~10, and an ig coil was $7, etc from this guy that Planet minis uses a lot called tsetseni on e-bya; his stuff was good, fast, and cheapest of all others.

I, too, am a dad so I feel your pain! LoL.

Thanks for the information. The new CDI should get here in the morning or the following day, so I will probably wait until I get that and swap it in, before I go digging any deeper. That should only take about 10 seconds to swap out. Then, if still a no-go, I need to find a flywheel puller, I suppose. Anyone used a non crf50 specific puller, or a makeshift one to pull a mini's flywheel? Thanks again!

hi i have the same issue with oe ssr SBA , and the problem was electric , check all the cables , thats should be the problem , u had a very bad moment figure it out what was the problem ¡¡¡¡

regards

Well, the CDI I bought off of ebay didn't arrive today, so no word on that yet. I did finish up greasing and loctiting and adjusting everything last night, and put the plastic back on with the new graphics and seat cover. It looks sharp. I just wish it ran as good! I started it this morning, and after several minutes of idling, I feathered the throttle gently enough so that it would at least rev a little. I was able to actually ride it for about 3 minutes with a bad bog (but at least it was acheiving more RPM than idle), then it would only idle again, after it got some heat built up in it. This thing is so wierd. I just have my fingers crossed that when I swap in the repalcement CDI, it will be right. I just don't have too much hope in that, though. Nate at Outlaw Powersports is trying his best to take care of this, so I am grateful for that.

100_0898.jpg

I know, what the heck jimbo, i just read this today and got through reading all of this and ur not going to post what happened, i just bought a pitbike and it bogs up top as well so i would really appreciate it to hear your outcome