Pepper Spray / Bear Spray??

After years of nagging and being chided by just about everyone I know, I've agreed to start carrying some spray when I go out in the woods. Besides, everyone laughs at my "bear bells" dangling from my Camelbak so not sure they would do what they're supposed to. I don't want to carry a handgun because of Michigan's weapons red tape related to handguns - and I wouldn't have the slightest problem using a gun and this would likely cause me some grief with the legal system, which I want none of. My husband is most afraid of possible encounters with black bears, I'm much more afraid of homosapiens than animals. I've had no run ins with either so far, but there are more and more people out in the woods it seems and there's some freaks out there for sure and depending on who you ask, I guess I'm one too :ride:.

Anyway, anyone used this stuff or done any research as to which brands are the best?:thumbsup:

My husband is most afraid of possible encounters with black bears, I'm much more afraid of homosapiens than animals. I've had no run ins with either so far, but there are more and more people out in the woods it seems and there's some freaks out there for sure and depending on who you ask, I guess I'm one too :thumbsup:.

Well if you would stop flipping quadtards off as they are riding down the roads you won't have any road raged freaks to deal with. Are you flipping the bears off as well? If so I would be worried as they have longer teeth and claws.

And stop stealing those morrels from other freaks territory.:ride:

I had pepper spray years back and don't remember what brand or anything about it. It doesn't last forever I know.

Hey I know, mount a machete on your bike like Brian has. LOL

Is it bear or bare. If it is bear then just ride with Megan she is good at scaring the crap out of them. If it is bare send them to Roselawn.

What a bunch of smart arses, all of you!!:thumbsup: I can't help it that my middle finger doesn't like quads.

My husband is most afraid of possible encounters with black bears, I'm much more afraid of homosapiens than animals.

You don't have to worry about black bears. They run away from people. I've seen dozens and dozens of them, daytime and nighttime, on mtn bike and on motorcycle. They all run away. I don't even worry about them any more except for them getting into the food at camp.

If people nag you about it, just point out that they are totally ignorant. I find that works really well with friends and family. :ride:

Dunno about the homo sapiens. Around here we have a species called velosapiens that can be an annoyance to young girls. Well, at least to 1 particular young girl. heh heh. :thumbsup:

We lived in MI, now live in MT. There are black bears and Grizzly out here. Doubt you'll ever see a bear on a dirt bike. maybe if you stop for lunch. Forget the handgun. you'll probably not hit a bear in the vitals if it's charging. Spray is much more effective and you won't accidentaly blow your friend's head off or your own foot with a can of spray. If one takes you by surprise you might as well throw the gun at him or pistol whip him on the nose when he's got a good bite on your leg. The spray may be a nice thing to have if you run into some creep at a trail-head. Studies in Canada have shown the pepper spray is highly effective, handguns are not.

Thanks guys. Don't know what a velosapien is, neither did Wikipedia, but it sounds pretty darn scary indeed. But since it likes to prey on young girls, guess I'm safe.

I have only seen one bear up close in MI and it was a very young cub that ran right in front of me on the trail - I almost hit the little guy with my front tire. He scooted up a tree right next to the trail and I wanted very badly to stop and check him out, but thought better of it and got the heck away from him before he started crying for momma bear.

I have only seen one bear up close in MI and it was a very young cub that ran right in front of me on the trail - I almost hit the little guy with my front tire. He scooted up a tree right next to the trail and I wanted very badly to stop and check him out, but thought better of it and got the heck away from him before he started crying for momma bear.

Yeah, if you can't see momma bear, it's best to stay away from a cub. You don't want to end up between them.

I was mtn biking near tahoe a couple years ago, and just after coming down a longass steep bumpy hill came upon a momma and 2 cubs. The cubs were the cutest lil things. Unfortunately they were right in the trail where I needed to go and wouldn't budge. One cub was 8' or so up a tree, looking at me, and the other was standing on his hind legs looking at me, and momma right behind them. I threw rocks near them and shouted and stuff and got to 15-20' away (with my bike in between) and they just stayed there. One does feel a bit naked in spandex with bears near by. Finally i stuck my fingers in my mouth and whistled loud. They didn't like that and took off and I continued my ride. I wouldn't have pepper-sprayed them tho.

I wouldnt worry about the bears as much as I would worry about the tree-huggers!:thumbsup: Spray em all!

But seriously, bears dont have tear ducts from what I am told. Pepper spray is very effective on them, I live in NY and we have been recently getting alot more bears in my neighborhood. They have become used to alot of things especially cars and people, dumpster diving at restaurants, eating bird seed from old peoples back yards, usual yogi crap. We had to remove a few last year because they didnt scare off anymore.

The more exposure they have with humans(on bikes or otherwise) they will get more daring with time. I know you can order pepper spray online or get at your local vigil-anti store, you should test it to make sure it works and then change it out every year.

But seriously, spray the tree-huggers and quadtards:ride:

I have a can of bear spray for people who want to break in my house.

But if youre on the trail, they should be more afraid of your bike, or rock spray as you roost them, which is nicer than spraying them with bear-status mace.

Mtn Biking in Whistler BC, youre right next to bears sometimes like 50 feet, they just keep eating berries and what not. I dont think they attack unless theyve never seen a human before.

We lived in MI, now live in MT. There are black bears and Grizzly out here. Doubt you'll ever see a bear on a dirt bike. maybe if you stop for lunch. Forget the handgun. you'll probably not hit a bear in the vitals if it's charging. Spray is much more effective and you won't accidentaly blow your friend's head off or your own foot with a can of spray. If one takes you by surprise you might as well throw the gun at him or pistol whip him on the nose when he's got a good bite on your leg. The spray may be a nice thing to have if you run into some creep at a trail-head. Studies in Canada have shown the pepper spray is highly effective, handguns are not.

I sort of agree pepper spray is better against a bear than a small caliber hand gun, but not a person. I can't believe Canada did a study that shows pepper spray will stop a person better than a gun. Dead vs. incapcitated seems to be a strong arguement. Now if you meant bear, then I agree.

Greg

But seriously, spray the tree-huggers and quadtards:ride:

All righty, I'll see what I can do!:thumbsup: Actually, what prompted to me agree to get some kind of spray is the quad riders. The DNR recently labled certain trails in our state as MC only and will be ticketing quads caught on those trails. It's going to be a pain in the rear getting signage up and educating people on the fact that their stupid Texas wheelchair is no longer allowed on the trails. So anyway, if I think it's prudent, I will be talking ("nicely") to quad riders I encounter on the trails to let them know about the changes and be non confrontational about it. But they might still get tweeked and that's where I would like some back up.

And again, I have no intention of spraying bears! Like others have said, they are much more afraid of humans than the other way around (at least in our area). I mentioned bear spray because it supposedly has a better spray distance than spray intended for humans.

I carry pepper spray on my key chain... Too many wierdos/pervs out there for me..

I have this one:

PS-1Asprays.gif

It's kind of big and I wish it were a little smaller... but for know It'll have to do.

I've never used it (knock on wood)... So i don't know how effective this one is but I'm sure it would do the trick if needed.

You can usually just pick one up from your local gun/outdoorsy store.

Dunno about the homo sapiens. Around here we have a species called velosapiens that can be an annoyance to young girls. Well, at least to 1 particular young girl. heh heh. :thumbsup:

Ah, no really you are an annoyance to ALL girls, young and old. Trust me.:ride:

Ah, no really you are an annoyance to ALL girls, young and old. Trust me.:thumbsup:

What are you waiting for? Git yer spray out, girl. :ride:

I could never spray you lllamaface, mainly cause I pack a .38 instead of pepperspray and that would be mean. I'm never mean. :thumbsup:

I could never spray you lllamaface, mainly cause I pack a .38 instead of pepperspray and that would be mean. I'm never mean. :thumbsup:

You sure do flirt alot for an old lady.

:ride:

I'm going to spray you both, you damn hijackers!!:ride::thumbsup: