Xr 600 crankcase breather tube

Having only recently aquired my 'pig' I noticed today (after a returning from a 30 minute commute home from work) that a small amount of oil had dripped on the ground from under the engine. On closer inspection I found that it had come from the crankcase breather tube. Is there supposed to be a stopper or valve on the end to prevent this? (mine is open ended)

Cheers

the upper tip of the tube is ussually open..i applied a gas filter on it to prevent dirt getting in.But the tube that goes to the floor haves a closed type end like a duck peak..

You are lucky, Mine has problems. After a 30 minute hard high rpm ride I have ALOT of oil coming out of mine. Looks like it is time for a fresh cylinder job.

The 600 is known to blow oil out the breather under sustained high rpm operation even if the rings seal well. It's not just blow-by that goes through that tube. Every time the piston goes up the crankcase sucks in 600cc of air and then that 600cc plus the blow-by goes out when the piston goes down.

Lets just say that the oil separator on the 600 isn't the best.

Well I moved my vent tube over the chain. Keeps things nice and juicy. The bike runs strong. Maybe it is the nature of the beast. My runs are about 60+ mph for about 30 minutes. I run dirt roads to and from work. That is why I bought this bike.

Keep an eye on oil level just for safety.

The 600 is known to blow oil out the breather under sustained high rpm operation even if the rings seal well. It's not just blow-by that goes through that tube. Every time the piston goes up the crankcase sucks in 600cc of air and then that 600cc plus the blow-by goes out when the piston goes down.

Lets just say that the oil separator on the 600 isn't the best.

Can you run a 1/2'' hose from the case up under the gas tank and affix the k/n breather cap behind the steering tube section of the frame ?

OR IS IT BETTER TO LEAVE THE ORIG BLACK CANASTER HOOKED UP THAT CAME ON THE BIKE ? 1998 XR600R

Can you run a 1/2'' hose from the case up under the gas tank and affix the k/n breather cap behind the steering tube section of the frame ?

OR IS IT BETTER TO LEAVE THE ORIG BLACK CANASTER HOOKED UP THAT CAME ON THE BIKE ? 1998 XR600R

I have had perfect operation with that exact setup for almost 2 yrs now.

Except my line terminates behind the tank and thats where my breather is.

I have had perfect operation with that exact setup for almost 2 yrs now.

Except my line terminates behind the tank and thats where my breather is.

I have done this on every XR that I have owned, works great, keeps dirt out of the crankcase and keeps water from entering the crankcase during deep water crossings

I was going to do the hose line and vent filter mod on my bike, but just decided to leave the stock catch tank in place.

The stock set-up works as designed and isn't bothersome during maintenance. Doesn't weigh much either.

If I lived in an area where I had the opportunity to do a lot of water crossing and submarining, I'd prolly leave the stock octopus intact.

dscf0068vl5.jpg

dscf0014rd3.jpg

Dang, I don't have one of those on my 2000. It just has a tube going to a tee then one to the air cleaner and the other dumping under the bike. Maybe that is why mine is pumping oil out. The previous owner may have pulled it off. Who knows? I was thinking about installing a seperator tank in just such a location under the tank. Maybe I can fine the stock seperator and try that first. Anyone have one laying around?

Thanks

I didnt know Xr600 had a oil separator too....But it looks good and i bet it works fine..Japanese engineers dont usually fail...

Dang, I don't have one of those on my 2000. It just has a tube going to a tee then one to the air cleaner and the other dumping under the bike. Maybe that is why mine is pumping oil out. The previous owner may have pulled it off. Who knows? I was thinking about installing a seperator tank in just such a location under the tank. Maybe I can fine the stock seperator and try that first. Anyone have one laying around?

Thanks

My 89 hoses are like that. If you are really bleeding oil it may be time for new rings or you are just totally oerfilling your bike with oil