SSR 140 TX Tank Leak

I took delivery of a new SSR 140 TX from Outlaw about a month ago and I am having problems with the gas tank leaking. Nate at Outlaw has been real good trying to get me fixed up. My first tank leaked around the petcock and ruined the air filter (ate the glue on the seams) and Nate promptly sent me a new SSR tank with petcock and a UNI filter - all free of charge. I put the new tank on and about 5 days after I put the fuel in it has started leaking also. I haven't even ridden the bike except up and down my street (less than 1 mile) so I know vibration isn't killing the tank. I noticed on both tanks the petcock appears to have teflon tape on the threads of the petcock. I'm thinking the gas is eating the tape after a couple days and causing the leak. I tried a gas tank sealer/glue on the first tank/petcock that was recommended from another thread but it still leaked. It looked like the sealant didn't stick to the tank good enough and seaped under the glue bead. I was thinking of trying some epoxy but I won't be able to replace the petcock if I go that route. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion to help me get this fixed. I priced a new KLX 110 tank and petcock combo and they are $270 new. I know they sell alot of these models - has anyone else had similar issues or have I just got two bad tanks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to put a kickstand on my bike. Anyone put one on a new 140/150 TX? I need to figure out how/where to mount it and where to get the stand.

-Dingus

It is a common problem with the SSR bikes....alot of them will develop leaks around the petcock area like your describing.

Try getting another tank one more time, usually you will eventually get one that does not leak.

Snap a picture of it if leaking and email it to us and we will get you another one coming.

Snap a picture of it if leaking and email it to us and we will get you another one coming.

No problem. I'll get a picture out to you. I was hoping someone might have a remedy to fix what I have.

It is a weakness of the type of petcock attachment. I have the same type on my first pit bike and to be honest, even though the dealer also offered to warranty it, I decided to just get a used KLX110 tank on ebay and am much happier. The Pitster and OGM's attach the petcock like the kawasaki does with two bolts and a rubber gasket in there. The ones with a threaded tube coming out of the tank that the petcock screws onto are notorious for leaking.

If you decide to go this route, any klx110, drz110, KX 65 or RM 65 will all work.

It is a weakness of the type of petcock attachment. I have the same type on my first pit bike and to be honest, even though the dealer also offered to warranty it, I decided to just get a used KLX110 tank on ebay and am much happier. The Pitster and OGM's attach the petcock like the kawasaki does with two bolts and a rubber gasket in there. The ones with a threaded tube coming out of the tank that the petcock screws onto are notorious for leaking.

If you decide to go this route, any klx110, drz110, KX 65 or RM 65 will all work.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about buying the KLX tank and thought I'd try to find out if there was a fix for the SSR Tank first. This tank has a threaded petcock that screws into what looks like a nut that is molded into the bottom of the tank. I can't tell if the fuel is leaking from the threads, the gasket area, or the molded nut itself. Each time I've realized it was leaking it has been completely saturated. I guess I was surprised that no one else was having these problems but apparently they do and just aren't writing in about them. Thanks for the help.

I agree that it is cool that Outlaw is offering to replace the tanks but at some point someone is going to have to realize they have a bad design or poor quality. I want to ride the bike and don't like the idea of having to keep waiting on a tank that may still leak. It looks like I'll probably shell out the money to buy a decent tank. Thanks for the advice.

-Ed

I'm having the same problem on my 125 sb-a. We ordered 4 bikes and 3 of the tanks are leaking (seeping) around the petcock where it connects to the tank. I tried all sorts of stuff to stop it and haven't found anything. It's not a fast, drip drip leak...but just enough to cause moisture to hang there and smell up the basement/shop. What a pain in the butt.

My ssr140 leaks also even after I cleaned it and put Seal All around it, I'm going to get a better tank and end my problem.

The Seal All worked for me for about a week....then started to seep again.

Tried a new method today. Replaced the lousy oring in the petcock with a round standard style one. Then threaded it onto the post as tight as I could get it without spinning the threaded rod that goes into the tank.

Then sanded the bottom of the tank with some 80 grit sanpaper around the area where the petcock enters.

Crammed some Hot Glue from my glue gun into the area where the threaded connector goes through the tank, then took my finger and compressed it while it was still warm. Topped it off with another bit of hot glue around the area tapered off so their is no big chunks.

Seemed to hold up to some riding tonight with Khand187 we will see over time.

Its pretty frustrating knowing you'll replace a leaky gas tank twice, but wont even reply to an email about broken plastics on a brand new SSR 125 sb-a. (Same thing with my friend that had a leaking fork valve on a brand new SSR 125 sb-a : no reply)

:thumbsup:

Oh, and my gas tank is leaking as well.

Its pretty frustrating knowing you'll replace a leaky gas tank twice, but wont even reply to an email about broken plastics on a brand new SSR 125 sb-a. (Same thing with my friend that had a leaking fork valve on a brand new SSR 125 sb-a : no reply)

Emails can get lost or redirected into spam folders at times. Did you call him? Outlaw has a good reputation for resolving customer issues. Before you call them out publicly on a forum like this, make sure you have really given them a chance to resolve your issue.

Is this about the only major concern with the SSR 140/150 TX bikes? Anything else you guys have had problems with? I want to order one ASAP and just found this thread......

There aren't any issues I have heard of. The only ones previously were the crappy rear shock, but that has been changed to a much better one.

Emails can get lost or redirected into spam folders at times. Did you call him? Outlaw has a good reputation for resolving customer issues. Before you call them out publicly on a forum like this, make sure you have really given them a chance to resolve your issue.

Chiro is right. Nate is a great guy with awesome CS. He does however seem to have a very strong spam setting on his email. I emailed him 5 times with no reply and finaly called him. He checked his junk box for my email addy and there they were. He had to manualy mark my addy as not spam. Give the guy a break and pick up the freakin phone. He will take care of any and all issues.....dont worry.

The rear shock was the only sorry part of the bike but they have changed it.

I must admit I was a little disappointed to find out a leaking fork valve was not covered under warranty when it was that way out of the crate. That was directly from Nate.

gas will eat alot of materials, so fixing 100 percent will be tough, on my ssr sba with screw in petcock, i just gooped the hell out of the petcock to gastank area with black permatex RTV. its oil and gas resistant.

Send over an email to us again. Your last one obviously did not come through or we did not see it. We do our d*mndest to take care of our customers, so if your needs have not been addressed, then something got missed.