Sign in to follow this  

Different Gear Sets for DRZ?

Does anybody make aftermarket tranny gearsets for the DRZ?

I'd love a wider ratio spread, seems like the stock tranny has all the gears spaced too close together.

I have never heard of one but a lot of people have been wishing the same thing or a 6th gear. I use mine off-road so its not really a huge issue for me but the SM setup would benefit for sure.

I have never heard of one but a lot of people have been wishing the same thing or a 6th gear. I use mine off-road so its not really a huge issue for me but the SM setup would benefit for sure.

Exactly, adding a 6th gear is probably impossible, but spreading the ratios could be done.

I know way back when I bought my 1990 YZ-250 WR, first was lower and fourth-fifth were higher than the regular YZ.

One extra tooth on the countershaft would likely give you the extra spread you're looking for. If that isn't enough a 38 or 39 on the rear will certainly space it out. Way cheaper than messing with a trans.

drcool

One extra tooth on the countershaft would likely give you the extra spread you're looking for. If that isn't enough a 38 or 39 on the rear will certainly space it out. Way cheaper than messing with a trans.

drcool

That'll just make the final ratio taller, not give a bigger spread.

Actually it will change spread a little but 1st will still be higher over all than it was to start with.

DRZ needs a 6 speed for more gear spread. If you widen the spread with a 5 speed gear set, you would not like it: messes up shifting, power band and all kinds of things. Gear to gear RPM changes need to be matched to engine characteristics. Another gear is the only answer.

On the other hand, a clooser ratio 5 speed would be usefull in certain racing applications where you gear for the track but don't need more spread 1st to 5th.

Actually it will change spread a little but 1st will still be higher over all than it was to start with.

DRZ needs a 6 speed for more gear spread. If you widen the spread with a 5 speed gear set, you would not like it: messes up shifting, power band and all kinds of things. Gear to gear RPM changes need to be matched to engine characteristics. Another gear is the only answer.

On the other hand, a clooser ratio 5 speed would be usefull in certain racing applications where you gear for the track but don't need more spread 1st to 5th.

I agree to an extent to what you are sayin, but IMO my DRZ-S would have the nuts to pull a wider spread gear to gear. I shift through them so fast it seems like very little difference from one to the next.

The challenge would be to only change one gearset to keep the cost down, but then the spread to the adjacent gear might be too great.

All I can reference was my YZ-250wr. It handled the bigger spread just fine, and the difference in spread compared to the regular YZ was like having a another gear on top, but yet first was noticeably lower and much better for creeping in the woods.

YZ and WR have different engine power characteristics. The transmissions are matched to the engines. Is the gear spread 1st to 5th on a WR any wider than a DRZ?

I wish I had the time and money to make an overdrive 5th. It really wouldn't be hard or *too* expensive to do. Probably on the order of 5k for one, or a bit more than that for 2 sets. If someone is good on a lathe and has a good CNC mill, the only thing you would need to get done outside of your shop would be heat treating and hobbing of the teeth.

YZ and WR have different engine power characteristics. The transmissions are matched to the engines. Is the gear spread 1st to 5th on a WR any wider than a DRZ?

The yz and wr's I'm talking about were old 2-stokes. Almost identical engines as I had the extra transfer port drilled-out just like the YZ. Heavier flywheel was the only difference.

On those bikes the gear spread was much greater. First was way lower, a creeper gear almost, and fifth was like a whole nuther gear. I could blow by 'em like they were standing still up on top-end.

I wish I had the time and money to make an overdrive 5th. It really wouldn't be hard or *too* expensive to do. Probably on the order of 5k for one, or a bit more than that for 2 sets. If someone is good on a lathe and has a good CNC mill, the only thing you would need to get done outside of your shop would be heat treating and hobbing of the teeth.

Indeed. That would be awesome.

I know this is old be i was wondering if anyone ever found gears that could be put into a DRZ to make 5th taller. Im currently running 3teeth less on the rear. I dont want to final drive it down anymore because i dont want my 1-4 gears any wider. I deffenetly could use less ratio in 5th though.