2007 TE250- Bad Crank

My bike is in the shop getting the crankshaft and bearings replaced. Expensive! I've had the bike about 13 months with no problems untill now. Has anybody else experienced this failure?

Curious as to what oil you have used?

Failure is a subjective word.

What is an actual defect or?.......

How many hours?

I have about 15 hours on my '07 250 since getting it in March with lots and lots of climbing etc. Screens comes out clean during service so far.

Sorry to hear of this....

89 hours flawless so far... I've done an EASY breakin and am still seeing some red gasket material on occaison....I'm very slow however...

I use 100% synthetic motul, and change the oil and filter about every 300miles. There is about 5000 miles on on my bike and 90% of that is off road. I know that's a lot of miles but I still think the crank should last longer than that, especially for what these bikes cost nowadays.

5 Baja 1000's?....I'd say not too bad for a little motor. :thumbsup:

Was a defect or wear-n-tear or..?

I use 100% synthetic motul, and change the oil and filter about every 300miles. There is about 5000 miles on on my bike and 90% of that is off road. I know that's a lot of miles but I still think the crank should last longer than that, especially for what these bikes cost nowadays.

I am not a big synthetic fan but at 5,000 miles I sure don't plan on a new crank:thumbsdn: or I will be looking to make changes. Would think you had a defect from day 1:excuseme:

Easy to figure out if inside of the big end is wornout on the upper part this indicates detonation. Fuel quality problem, pump gas is junk. Like taking a sledge hammer and hitting the top of piston, this shock force is transfered down the rod, with this tremendious shock what happens is the inside of the bore in the rod has .040 to.060 thickness of what is called case hardening now this startes to move because the soft core material under it starts to move causeing the case hardened material to start flaking. Now this microscopic flakes or particulate starts to migrate thru the motor. Bad part is it tears up the piston and cylinder, reason for the skirts on the piston getting roughed up and chewing up the niksil on the cylinder. If this is the senerio Now would be a good time to make it a 300 also along with the rebuild. Later George

Big George bringin' it- oh yeh!.......:ride::thumbsup:

It seems no one else has had this problem. Sounds like mine is the exception. Obviously, if the crank lasted 5000 miles it wasn't faulty when new. I'm just having a hard time coming to the realization that I might need to change cranks on my dualsport bike as often as i change the oil in my truck. I use quality fuel and oil. And by the way, the piston and cylinder looked almost new.

If the fuel comes out of a pump it's not quality, would go as far as saying barely exceptiable the bikes run on it and we all use it some stay lucky and some not.

Any very fine vertical scratches on the front and rear of the piston? If so feel the mating surfaces inside the cylinder front and rear of the bore. If not your lucky only see 1 in about 10 that are not damaged in this way or you just quit running it in time before it got damaged. Later George

Out of curiosity, George, what do you think of the practice of adding a bit of premix oil to the jug of pump gas? A riding buddy does it every time with his 450 EXC.

I for one would like to try your race gas/pump premium recipe, but I think it would definitely go bad before I could use it up....I didn't even polish off 5 gallons last weekend riding both days. I heard race gas has a short life span once opened.

paul

My 250 Te -06 did 120hr before the bering on the clutch side gave up,

i was lucky as i had like 1000 rpm and heard what was going on and hit the

kill switch. I pulled it apart myself and had my dealer change the crank,

could not see anything wrong with the crank just changed it when i had the engine apart.

5000 miles does seem abit early to have to change the crank to me too, I guess it could be taken into concideration how hard the bike was run, what octane fuel was used and how long warm ups before riding and such, I change my oil around every 60 to 80 miles, I know abit exessive, but preventitive maintanance is a lot less costly than overhauls, I have already decided that when the ole Husky goes,:ride: she will become a doner bike for my KDX 220, ive already done all front fork and rear shock measurements and we are looking at basically a direct swap over, I couldnt stand the hit of a complete 4-stoke rebuild.:thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, George, what do you think of the practice of adding a bit of premix oil to the jug of pump gas? A riding buddy does it every time with his 450 EXC.

I for one would like to try your race gas/pump premium recipe, but I think it would definitely go bad before I could use it up....I didn't even polish off 5 gallons last weekend riding both days. I heard race gas has a short life span once opened.

paul

Take Sunoco Supreme for example, they have it in 5 gal can if you just take out 1 gal at a time to mix with 3 gal premium pump and sealed back up it will last 6 months at least. Key is to only mix what you use, when your going to use it. Do it now at 10-12$ gal pump gas will hit that price so can look back and say it was a good deal.

I'd use some Marvil mystery oil 0r Reslone either of them 1 oz to 5 gal. 2 stroke oil has a tendency to build up carbon on the exhaust valves,piston dome and gum up rings. A really great product out their is called Z-max what this product is it's made with LinKite basically they took an oil molicule the size of a basket ball and made it the size of a BB. So what it does is to soak into the molecular grain of metal therefore it is always wet, keeps carbon from building up on valves, rings and all parets are wet with lube on startup. This is their automotive product marketing name same basic formula as their Aircraft product which is called Avblend, which is the only oil addative that is FAA approved .Later George

How long does Sunoco Supreme last if un-opened? Long time?

Anyone want to buy a TE?

I have 3000 miles on my bike and this is the FIRST TIME I've ever heard of pump gas causing a blown motor.

If this is true, I'm selling my bike. This is ridiculous. Any "50 street legal" motorcycle that isn't engineered to operate on pump gas isn't worth spit in my oppinion.

Yet if anyone would know, it would likely be George. I sure wish someone had told me this two years ago before I spent $8000 on the lemon...

Anyone want to buy a TE?

I have 3000 miles on my bike and this is the FIRST TIME I've ever heard of pump gas causing a blown motor.

If this is true, I'm selling my bike. This is ridiculous. Any "50 street legal" motorcycle that isn't engineered to operate on pump gas isn't worth spit in my oppinion.

Yet if anyone would know, it would likely be George. I sure wish someone had told me this two years ago before I spent $8000 on the lemon...

First why did you buy it, because it is light,quality componets thru-out race bike that the factory worked long and hard to make meet emissinons and the street legal qualifications. The way they shipped it from the factory, throttle stop,choked muffler, jetting ect.ect. bike would last forever properly maintained.

Do you still have the above mentioned parts in it probably not so now you have a race bike trying to pass off as a street bike. Factory says 98 octane gas are you using any thing close to that? The only thing that will do what your expecting is something that weighs 300+ pounds 600+ cc and makes 19 hp it will handle like a shopping cart and be as exciting as watching grass grow.

You bought the right bike for what it was designed for if it is to get from one trail to the next with some street usage in between. Lemon no used as intendened it's a Diamond. Later George

How long does Sunoco Supreme last if un-opened? Long time?

6-9 months?. Later George

I've been running pump gas in my 4 strokes for the last 20 years and I haven't had crank problems untill now. I'm not interested in premixing anymore, thats one of the reasons I switched to 4 strokes. Let's not forget the intended purpose of this bike, It's sold as a dual sport. I presumed that meant you could pull up to the pump,pay and go. Besides, I have no idea if fuel is the cause of my problem or not.