Sign in to follow this  

Why don't fork protectors fully wrap around on upside down forks?

Has anyone ever wondered why fork protectors don't wrap all the way around on upside down forks? Of course one can buy SealSavers that wrap around but why do SealSavers exist in the first place? The rubber fork protectors on conventional style forks such as those on a DRZ400 wrap all the way around. Is there some feature the open design affords that is better than a closed design? I am thinking of possibly buying some PVC pipe that is large enough to fit around my entire fork leg and cutting a split down the back middle to allow for easy removal and drilling holes to the stock mounting points. What do you guys think?

There's not much chance of the back of the fork getting roosted.

Also if any dirt got in there it would be harder to get out, so you could either seal them well, which would increase friction, or have them open at the back.

The current KTM's seem to have it about right.

Also if any dirt got in there it would be harder to get out, so you could either seal them well, which would increase friction, or have them open at the back.

The current KTM's seem to have it about right.

So what if the bottom 1/10th of the protector wrapped around half way like stock. This way if anything got in then it can get out while the top and middle section is protected from most dirt. Of course the very top section would be floating and not sealed. But I still think that covering most of the stanchion leg would help protect it and keep it cleaner.

I think they are designed the way they are because that is the minimum that is considered adequate. The early Kaws, maybe others, just had the front protected then they wrapped them around the sides.

What you propose might be better but more difficult to replace. They would have to be split or you would have to remove the forks to r&r them. You couldn't have a guide. The outer tube would be the guide and the guard would have to have enough clearance for dirt to go through but rocks would still get caught. Maybe a rubber bellows like conventional forks could be added? It would move around a lot and rub on the outer tube because three little screws through plastic at the bottom won't be very stiff.

The brake line would have to be supported by the guard instead of the guide.

IMO if they were to wrap all the way around and you got chunks of mud or rocks in there with nowhere to go, it would more than likely scratch the fork tubes up.

Has anyone ever wondered why fork protectors don't wrap all the way around on upside down forks? Of course one can buy SealSavers that wrap around but why do SealSavers exist in the first place? The rubber fork protectors on conventional style forks such as those on a DRZ400 wrap all the way around. Is there some feature the open design affords that is better than a closed design? I am thinking of possibly buying some PVC pipe that is large enough to fit around my entire fork leg and cutting a split down the back middle to allow for easy removal and drilling holes to the stock mounting points. What do you guys think?

What do I think? That it would look dumb and collect dirt. What is wrong with what is there, it works fine.

I don't know but I know they get splashed up dirt and mud on them at times when I'm washing the bike. I don't like to leave the water droplets and mineral deposits dry on the tubes. After washing, I slip a soft cotton towel in front of the protector and dry the tubes down.

I don't know but I know they get splashed up dirt and mud on them at times when I'm washing the bike. I don't like to leave the water droplets and mineral deposits dry on the tubes. After washing, I slip a soft cotton towel in front of the protector and dry the tubes down.

Get a deionizing water treatment system for a car wash from a local supplier. No drying necessary plus aluminum dries brighter!