Speedo not working

On my way back from a quick ride yesterday the speedo suddenly read 0, and never came back to working. The is quite a bit of grime in the drive area (I rode it in the Wisconsin winter a few times). I just took a quick look at it and everything is connected and the drive is not seized or anything. I'll take it apart later today, but before I do I thought I'd check here and see if this is a common occurence with a typical solution.

It has happened before to a few people and it was as simple as the speedo cable coming out the back of the computer.

Check that first!

It has happened before to a few people and it was as simple as the speedo cable coming out the back of the computer.

Check that first!

+1

If recall correctly with the cable detached from the computer you can spin the front tire and the see the cable move. If it does'nt it's prob the cable itself or speedo drive.

When my cable came loose, it was accompanied by a (not so nice) rattle while riding.

If you heard something, you probably have your answer with the loose cable..

Good luck :thumbsup:

or it might just have died. Mine did the same thing and it was toast. Do not go to the dealership, I think they wanted something like 500.00 and its just a cheap LCD unit so go to fleabay or look at aftermarket products that are out there. Do a search and see what others have done.

Hmm. Hope it didn't just die, but don't think so because the rest of the dash is still working fine. I checked the upper connection, it looked allright but it may warrant further inspection. I took the wheel off and inspected the drive, it's not the problem.

My other problem now is that I went to replace the brake padds at the same time, and I seem to have stripped out the allen bolt that goes through one end of the pads and holds 'em in. Salt must have really crusted in there. Can I use an extractor in there? Clearance is tight since the bolt is recessed into the caliper body.

do a search , its happened to a few members including me . you have to take the speedo apart and resolder the 3 legged transistor ? where it attaches to the circuit board . the constant vibration causes the metal legs to fatigue and crack , once re soldered , brace it with some 5 min epoxy and its fixed for good .

mine ended up being a snapped speed cable, $35 in parts half hour labor, Under warranty most cases!

Cable broken. That's cool, easy fix.

Thanks for the info guys.