Sign in to follow this  

250R cam in a 250X

I am sure this has been asked but I have heard you can cut one of the ignition wires and add a cam for the 250R in your X an increase the power dramatically? Is this true?

The added power comes in above 8000rpm, what it gains it takes away from power under 8000 rpm so there is a trade off. There is also some trade off on durability the more time you spend at the higher rpms (you WILL use the extra rpms if you have it, guaranteed). Honda's attempt at making the X more durable was to de-tune it to run at lower rpms. The CCC mod bulletin even warns that the bike should go on the race maintenance schedule when the mods are made.

If you want more power and want to keep it reliable go for a big bore which will cost you the same as a cam and exhaust. If you want more later add a cam. IMO, match the pipe to the cam your using, X cam works good with the X pipe tuning. R pipe with R cam timing. Only real difference is the R pipe acts shorter so the reflective wave returns faster so it scavenges better at the rpms the R cam allows. R pipe with the X cam (or visa versa) is a technical a mismatch.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/snomobill/cccdynochartvsstock.jpg

I agree with highmarker in principal but in my experience I have found substantial seat of the pants gains using the R silencer and Head pipe on a stock cammed X. I have had extremely good luck running the R exhaust on my X. I do have the airbox cut and carb is re-jetted. I know it is only seat of the pants but I feel a measurable increase in power with the R silencer and pipe. The low end power loss is very slight. As far as reliability, well the Xs stellar reliability record speaks for itself. And it is so much more reliable than the R .......I say that tung in cheek. The whole CRF line has issues with reliability. I love my CRF but I really dont see much difference in life reliability between the R and X regardlerss of how you ride them.

Yes there is a very noticable improvement with an R cam and the pink wire mod. Make sure it is jetted with the air box cut and the exhaust drilled. I went with the 05 R cam, it has a nice improvement down low and has opened up the top a bit.

I don't know of many forums that were not happy with the mod your asking about....it does add a good chunk of rippen upper rpm power.

I run an R cam and could not be more pleased with the results. I love the added revs. After jetting and the other CCC mods (with the exception of the R header). I have a great spread of power that will get me through technical sections yet still power me through deep sand washes. It would be a cheap mod as you can typically get a used R cam for next to nothing off of ebay I am sure I did not pay more than $20 for mine. You just unplug the pink wire so if you did not like the mods you could change back.

FYI. I have an 05R (mine) and an 06X (son's). I have tried various combos and now use: 250X 06-stock x head pipe and R can with SA added, 250R 05-stock head pipe with X can/ modified insert. I use the R for hare scrambles and recently changed from X head pipe and R can with SA because sound was 98db @ test rpm ( 5700, I think) and 130+db @ wot, 96 max was required. I thought X can was much heavier than R, but diff. is only about 18 ozs.

Top and bottom power "seems" about the same, but I have not tested fully yet.

Hope this my helps a little.:thumbsup::busted:

FYI. I have an 05R (mine) and an 06X (son's). I have tried various combos and now use: 250X 06-stock x head pipe and R can with SA added, 250R 05-stock head pipe with X can/ modified insert. I use the R for hare scrambles and recently changed from X head pipe and R can with SA because sound was 98db @ test rpm ( 5700, I think) and 130+db @ wot, 96 max was required. I thought X can was much heavier than R, but diff. is only about 18 ozs.

Top and bottom power "seems" about the same, but I have not tested fully yet.

Hope this my helps a little.:thumbsup::busted:

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think there is some bad info here. Did you actually weigh the two cans because when I switched to the R can I weighed both of them and there was almost a 3lb difference. If you pick both of them up there is clearly more than 180z difference and the scale showed that. I'm sorry but 130db is like standing next to an F14 Tomcat with it's afterburners on taking off from an aircraft carrier.

maybe he meant 103db? also how and who did the test. Here's a link to actaul field tests done by the state of California. Note the big variance between "stock" exhausts on the same bikes, which should be close to the same. The way the test was conducted, and even the agenda of the person doing it can make a big difference. http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/honda.pdf

Around here the R can, or the X can with the baffle out seem to be passing tech OK. But then the guys running tech aren't into shutting guys down.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think there is some bad info here. Did you actually weigh the two cans because when I switched to the R can I weighed both of them and there was almost a 3lb difference. If you pick both of them up there is clearly more than 180z difference and the scale showed that. I'm sorry but 130db is like standing next to an F14 Tomcat with it's afterburners on taking off from an aircraft carrier.

3 pounds is about right.

maybe he meant 103db? also how and who did the test. Here's a link to actaul field tests done by the state of California. Note the big variance between "stock" exhausts on the same bikes, which should be close to the same. The way the test was conducted, and even the agenda of the person doing it can make a big difference. http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/honda.pdf

Around here the R can, or the X can with the baffle out seem to be passing tech OK. But then the guys running tech aren't into shutting guys down.[/quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to be overly critical. I think you are right, he probably meant 103db.

Not to thread jack or anything but I run a stock 06x with the CCC mods sans camshaft.

I went to a powerbomb and White Bros. XCR

a little loud, louder than most, but the bike rips on the track and in tight woods.

I got flagged down by a ranger on a recent trip as he said my bike was too loud.

He tested it and wouldn't you know it was 95.3 db's!

lot louder than my buddy's 06 R and my old x can with baffle drilled.

hope this helps.

yea, it's loud!

Good to hear that VPR. Did he do the 20inch test with an rpm meter or the 50' drive by?

The enforcement here does have the latitude to shut you down just based on their perception of "too loud" without a test.

Theres another thing called "wildlife harassment" that I ran into once on a snow trip. They were sound checking people right in the parking area as they unloaded, too loud, load back up. The elk herds were in the area and their intent was to keep them from being "stressed". One of my buds failed the db and we called BS on the procedure and made them test out away from the trucks on the trail. He passed so we told other "trailered" guys to give it another shot and most passed to. Wildlife agent wasn't too happy. We then had him test a powerstroke diesel coming down the road past us, it failed, LOL.

Good to hear that VPR. Did he do the 20inch test with an rpm meter or the 50' drive by?

The enforcement here does have the latitude to shut you down just based on their perception of "too loud" without a test.

Theres another thing called "wildlife harassment" that I ran into once on a snow trip. They were sound checking people right in the parking area as they unloaded, too loud, load back up. The elk herds were in the area and their intent was to keep them from being "stressed". One of my buds failed the db and we called BS on the procedure and made them test out away from the trucks on the trail. He passed so we told other "trailered" guys to give it another shot and most passed to. Wildlife agent wasn't too happy. We then had him test a powerstroke diesel coming down the road past us, it failed, LOL.

That is too funny, way to go. NEVER LET THE MAN KEEP YOU ON FOOT! If the good Lord wanted us to walk....why did he give us fossil fuels?

Have they hooked up EKG's to the wild beasts to see what the effect really is. I ride in the Sam Houston NF, I see dear there every time I ride early in the morning, they run off into the brush but still decide to live in the area. So they must not be too stressed out by the noise.