Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse clutch questions

I have been reading tt for some time now, and finally have a question to ask

I have fitted a rekluse z-start clutch to my kx250 06 and find that on the really hard long rocky climbs (the ones that give goats problems!) the bike tends to boil easier than with the standard clutch and also fades (feels like it is not engaging completely) and takes a while before it cools down and works properly again. I am also sure that i can smell the engine oil burning (using 15W40 diesel engine oil, no rotella in this part of the world!).

Is this normal or should i be adjusting something?

I am a bit worried that maybe my clutch friction plates are worn because there is also a zzzzzz slipping sound at low pull-off revs. (this sound first started when i fitted a steahly fly-wheel weight with the original clutch setup)

thanks

clutch could be slipping if its not setup correctly gap and spring setting. I guess you installed new plates with the Rekluse. did you get the perch adjuster ? the other sound is the flywheel spinning the motor or keeping the revs up after you chop the throttle. I am running a rekluse and 13oz fww and the clutch should be hooking up and not slipping. I think from the smell of things your clutch is toast. I installed a kdx coolant overflow bottle in the air box running the hose out and down with the carb vent hoses that keeps the bike cool on the long climbs and it is hot in Texas.

clutch could be slipping if its not setup correctly gap and spring setting. I guess you installed new plates with the Rekluse. did you get the perch adjuster ? the other sound is the flywheel spinning the motor or keeping the revs up after you chop the throttle. I am running a rekluse and 13oz fww and the clutch should be hooking up and not slipping. I think from the smell of things your clutch is toast. I installed a kdx coolant overflow bottle in the air box running the hose out and down with the carb vent hoses that keeps the bike cool on the long climbs and it is hot in Texas.

thanks for the reply

no didn't put new friction plates, as i figured the bike was only a year old at teh time (and had just got married so had not spent too long in the saddle!) yes got the perch adjuster as well. will re-read the installation instructions and see if i have it set up wrong, will also replace the f-plates.

have also noticed that my waterpump seals are leaking will have to replace that as well!

I have a turkey baster type overflow reservoir that helps save the coolant

make sure the cable slack is adjusted as the instructions suggest. also I am using the lighter spring and have one thread showing past the lock nut on the perch adjuster.

thanks will check the cable slack, perch adjuster sounds like it is set the same as yours

ok just to update you guys i opened up the clutch and checked the gap and found that it was on the big side, changed one of the steel plates with a thicker one and now it seems to be running hundreds

good to hear cause I love mine and abuse it pretty bad, I am just waiting for somthing to give out but nothing yet.

even with the gap a bit big, the friction plates were still well within spec, and they had seen some serious heat. the steel plates were blue!

friction plates are well within spec. Was actually expecting to replace them, but they are fine, but i think the next order i place to mxsouth will include a new set (they are 2 years old already!)

I swear after every ride I think I am to hard on the clutch but I still love the way it works. I test mine by locking the front brake and gassing it to make the rear spin in the dirt of course. as log as it engages right after idle I am happy.

sense my motor is new (not rebuilt) with an hour meter on it I will be curious what will come first new clutch or new piston and rings. I will do a thread on it some were around the end of the year I supose.

how does that clutch work exactly? whats it for mainly

how does that clutch work exactly? whats it for mainly

Its a pressure plate that works via centrifugal force to operate the clutch.

It is for those whom like to cheat, and mainly used by trail riders over forty or smart young guys. helps in climbing technical stuff helps with cornering speed, really helps when the rider gets tired in all aspects. I think its best for taming 250 mx bikes for trail riding.

so it takes over the clutch lever and acts as there is no manual clutch?

thats pretty cool. sounds like it would be great for teaching people to learn to ride.

Its a pressure plate that works via centrifugal force to operate the clutch.

It is for those whom like to cheat, and mainly used by trail riders over forty or smart young guys. helps in climbing technical stuff helps with cornering speed, really helps when the rider gets tired in all aspects. I think its best for taming 250 mx bikes for trail riding.

was a skeptic due to the entry fee though I always wanted one. got one now on my new 07 YZ250. Incredible product. No more rut digging on technical hill climbs. A trail riders dream.:thumbsup: Everything Krazyinski said and more.

anyone know when you need to replace the steel plates in these clutches?

Take a straight edge put it across the plate if there is any air gap/light between plate and straight edge replace it. Usually if plate is blue its shot.