Sign in to follow this  

Athena kit installed - seems hot and is popping on decel.

Friend's bike has Athena 434 installed for two days. Everything else stock. New air filter, just oiled.

After a ride, the plastic around the exhaust can is really hot compared to my SM. It's popping a lot too, much more than normal. Too lean? Does the BB just make it run hotter?

Really want to make this motor last. Last one burned up running down the highway. Thanks..

Was it rejetted after the big bore install??

if not its likely to be runner rich.

The athena has a bigger water jacket, so it shouldnt run hotter. :thumbsup:

What carb and jetting? Also, make sure you don't have a air leak around the boots on the carb, that can cause issues.

Coolant it ok?

Friend's bike has Athena 434 installed for two days. Everything else stock. New air filter, just oiled.

After a ride, the plastic around the exhaust can is really hot compared to my SM. It's popping a lot too, much more than normal. Too lean? Does the BB just make it run hotter?

Really want to make this motor last. Last one burned up running down the highway. Thanks..

If you have`nt opened up the intake to 3X3 yet....then you should do that before proceding. The stock motor is starved to begin with...let alone with a 434 BB.

Enjoy

Not rejetted. Stock carb and jetting.

I'll double check on air leaks.

Replaced coolant and it's full.

3x3 will happen soon, just don't want any damage beforehand.

Not rejetted. Stock carb and jetting.

I'll double check on air leaks.

Replaced coolant and it's full.

3x3 will happen soon, just don't want any damage beforehand.

Yeppers....You really should do the 3X3 asap.....anyway....try to remove the air filter cover.....go ride......report back with your findings. It will give you kind of a quick way to see if it needs more air.

Enjoy

Does your SM have a standard exhaust or and aftermarket?? If yours is an aftermarket and he has a standard it will seem alot hotter BB or not.

You are wasting your time right now, without a 3x3 the bike is starved and without jetting you run the risk of damaging the engine..

uhh this may be a stupid question, but whats 3X3?

FAQ/Search.

Or start a new post and get flamed.

3x3 means opening up the air box by removing the snorkel and enlarging the hole to 3 inches by 3 inches.

From what the other guys are saying here, if you have a big bore and have not opened to airbox, you need to do so immediately. Your engine is starved for air and you shouldn't be running it so rich.

You should do the 3x3 ASAP. Its free and simple and will make a differance when jetted correctly.

From what the other guys are saying here, if you have a big bore and have not opened to airbox, you need to do so immediately. Your engine is starved for air and you shouldn't be running it so rich.

Hrm.. I thought the DRZ was lean from the factory to reduce emissions.

The BB doesn't affect jetting.

Oh and BTW, the 3x3 is not free. You NEED a rejet kit. Also, it's not my bike. I have an FCR.

How to I check for an "air lock"?

Running a BB tends to require leaner jetting, assuming your jetting was perfect before the BB.

Also, a larger water jacket does not mean a cooler engine, in fact, often the opposite can be true. The ability to carry heat away from an engine is dependent on water velocity. If the jackets are too large, the water moves slowly, localized hot spots develop, the water vaporizing at those points can occur. Steam does a lousy job of carrying heat away. Now, larger radiators will ensure a cooler running engine.

There are cooling system bleed points on the thermostat neck and on the left radiator.

I've done what I'm assuming is the thermostat (philips/8mm screw behind the rads on top of a tube). The left one has to be that little screw on top. Thanks.