Ride Eng. brake line

Hey everybody,

I just put a ride eng. brake line on my bike last night. It fit really well and installation was a snap. However, as I was in the process of bleeding the line I discovered that every time I held the brake lever firmly I would get a drop of fluid to leak from the connection to the master cylinder (banjo bolt). I torqued it to factory spec and everything. Do you think I should just run the stocker?:thumbsup:

did you replace the copper washers if you didn't I would they can warp when there torqued and then reusing them can cause a leak

+1 on the copper washers. The manual will state that these are a one time use only item and should be replaced every time the line is removed. Although sometimes you may get away reusing them don't plan on it.

Thanks guys, Ride Eng. does not supply new ones and their directions tell you to reuse them! Is there anyplace I could get those other than a dealer?

I just went through this same process. :mad: It is a very simple solution that required untold :lol: :lol: hours of working through that I don't ever want to talk about any more!:bonk::ride:

The ends of the brake line looked very similar for my '06 YZ450F. The angles of the bend on the connectors make it a bit unclear which end goes where as they will both hook up without much difficulty. The copper washers should be replaced but that wasn't the reason mine was leaking.

I must have bled those lines 5 or 6 times, always getting a leak at the end. I cranked down on the banjo bolts harder and ended up mashing the washers to the point of deformation. Lever pressure never firmed up. STILL WITH THE LEAK!

It was to the point I was going to send the cuss-ed thing back. I got more washers and started using my noggin.

Closer inspection revealed a difference in the connection ends. The thicker connector should be on the bottom. It is a bit difficult to get the angle of the hard metal portion of the line to seat well when you try to hook it up straight. To accomplish connection correctly you have to twist the line around backwards as it snakes down the fork leg to the caliper to get it to match up flush. It is that simple!

The whole process taught me alot of things. To make things easier on yourself when you bleed the brakes, go to a drug store or medical supply warehouse. Get a 60cc toomey syringe (the end of the syringe is tapered)with some clear tubing. Open the master cylinder cover on the handlebar. Draw up your brake fluid in the syringe and attach it to your bleeder valve down on the caliper. Loosen the zerk fitting and begin pushing on the syringe. The air in the line will be forced out as the fluid fills from the bottom up. Having a second person around to hold a rag around the master cylinder is nice and will keep the corroding brake fluid from dripping down on the bike. Air bubbles will cause it to splash if you go too fast.

I had to ride the bike a few laps and bleed it again a couple times but I have true one finger works style brakes now. A great mod well worth the effort.

Wisdom and good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately experience comes from lots of bad judgement/mistakes. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Is that for a Ride Eng. brake line? I could not see a difference in the two ends.

yes, it was a Ride Engineering brake line, trust me! There is a difference. You might have to get out a micrometer to see it (kidding) but there is a distinct difference.

Look at the angles of the end connectors, they are most likely different too.

The clue is your old hardware/banjo bolts work with this new line. Put it on wrong and it leaks. When the proper end is on the caliper it quits leaking with the correct torque. Just like magic.

Wow, I bet that might be it. You would think they might maybe mark which end is which or something like that. I'll take a closer look.:thumbsup:

You would think they might maybe mark which end is which or something like that. I'll take a closer look.:thumbsup:

I agree wholeheartedly. It would have saved me a bunch of time if they had the ends designated.

Let me know if it was the case with you as well.

I checked out my brake line last night. I definitely had it reversed. The top part is straight but the bottom has a slight bend to get away from the caliper. I reversed it, but now it's leaking at the caliper. I guess the crush washers are shot now. I'm going to swing by the dealer tonight and see if they have them. It should be good once I get those in. Thanks!

Thanks guys, Ride Eng. does not supply new ones and their directions tell you to reuse them! Is there anyplace I could get those other than a dealer?

Any auto parts store. Ask for crush washers.

Glad to help out KX02. For all the hassle I went through, it is nice that someone else can benefit from my expenditure of effort.