IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

GP trail work party june 21 & maybe chain saw cert too

June 21 looks good for a trail work party. Trails 139 and 173, east of Sunset campground need brushing and some tread work. A fellow volunteer and I brushed a mile or so of each until we hit the snow. It should be mostly melted by June 21. I have also asked the Mount St. Helens District if they could hold a chain saw certification session at the same time. Loppers or hand saws would work for the brushing. The chain saw cert is needed for other trails. I will post the conditions as the snow melts and trails become accessible. I will also post the volunteer agreement on the GP web site, so volunteers can read it and respond back to me. Then riders can go out on the trails whenever they can, do trail work and report to me the hours, volunteer names and work done. I will also announce work sessions as they get planned. If you volunteer two days, you can send me your name and address and get a free Forest Pass. A Pass is needed at the Blue lake trailhead. We have at least one grid block project to do, no cert needed. The blocks are at the trailhead. We will haul them in on backpacks and place them. More on that later.

I will be there. With one other guy.

Vern Jr.

OH c'mon man!:ride: I was posting about working up there, and you pick the day of the Golden Spike in Packwood. Oh well, if you do another one, or maybe do the weekend after, I'll be there. Now I feel like a blowhard.:thumbsup: LOL

I need a response from people who said they will help on June 21. Do you want to be chain saw certified? The Forest Service has to pay the certifier for a Saturday, possibly overtime. If there is only one or two people to certify, it is not worth it. The main work for volunteers is tread work and brush cutting, no certification necessary.

Certification: YES!

I'm in the finishing stages of mounting my saw to the 380.

IMG_4687.JPG

Count me in for the saw cert and work party.

Later,

2 - for the cert. here.

do we need to bring all the goods for the cert. ( shaps, face mask ect..) or are they supplied for the class?

i'm trying to decide to ride up or drive. leaning to the ride side.

No commitment yet on a certifier being available that day. I will ask again, now that we have four people wanting to get certified. Chaps are the big item. While you could use someone elses, if you don't have your own, you are sort of saying "I won't be wearing any when I am volunteering". Not a good message. Trailrider's helmets works, cheap safety glasses are best, goggles just fog up.

No commitment yet on a certifier being available that day. I will ask again, now that we have four people wanting to get certified. Chaps are the big item. While you could use someone elses, if you don't have your own, you are sort of saying "I won't be wearing any when I am volunteering". Not a good message. Trailrider's helmets works, cheap safety glasses are best, goggles just fog up.

I was talking about the cert. class if they would be provided.

I use the set i got when up in my truck, no bike rack for the saw.

I wanted to make sure if we needed or own for the class or not. i know the biggest thing is safety.

vern jr

Sorry, I misunderstood. It is okay to borrow some one else's gear during the cert. I would be there and anyone could use whatever they don't have along. That way, everyone does not have to bring there own stuff. The 5 miles of road from Sunset campground to the trail is full of mudholes, riding a dualsport bike up the road would be a lot better than driving.

As of yet, no commitment on a certifier by the District for that day.

The certification would last 12 months. The cert is good for any National Forest. A bunch of volunteers got Certified by the Cowlitz Ranger District last year. They can do a cert for large trees and two years, as opposed to the Monument, which, if I can get them to even do it, is one year and small trees. Plan on doing a two year cert next spring at Cowlitz Valley, Blue Lake area.

Mostly we need to do tread work, no cert needed. Logging out a trail is more fun but we need to get the trails looking good. These are multiple use trails, or at least that is the theory, so when other users encounter ruts, it makes a bad impression (pun intended). Hiker, horses and mountain bikers all have trouble with any rut deeper than a couple of inches.

• Like 1

I am going to go up this weekend thinking of driving the truck up the 4104 rd to the top (if there is no snow) and clear off the rd and try and hike in from the top of the 173 trail and get the big wood cut up, that is if I get my kids new bike (04 crf 250r) back together. this is not set in stone waiting to hear back from my riding partner, he may have to work Saturday, we have Bday plans on Sunday. we will see.

Went up Saturday up the 4104 rd, they are logging (thining out) about 3 miles up the road. They had about 4 - 5 loads of logs laying in the middle of the road we couldn't get to the top to come back down the trail. so we thought we would try and drive up the 41 and see if we could get around the very top of Mcinnley. we couldn't even get to the trail head of the 172 trail that goes over to Bluff mt. the snpw drifts are still 8-9' deep at the 3,000 ft elev. It will be a few more weeks/months befor being able to get up there. FYI

Vern Jr.

The chain saw cert person is not available on June 21st. I will ask about doing this on another work party day, probably in July.

sounds good keep us posted, i now have 3-5 people interested.

sounds good keep us posted, i now have 3-5 people interested.

i'm interested, whats the new date? got a little one to work around so i need to know in advance so that i can arrange sitter. i really want to help out......

trail work on the 21st is still a go as far as i know. show up for the work party.

the cert. class is up in the air.

is this correct chromexr

Are you planing on meeting up at the trail head of the 139 or the parking lot at Sunset?

What time are you thinking?

How about 8:00 am at Sunset? You need a Forest Pass to park there. It is nice to dualsport the 5 miles up to the East Fork trail, the road is so full of pot holes. We can split up with saw people going up to the Summit springs trail, cutting brush and then going up to the other trail. Driving to both trails would work if you don't have a pass.