Sign in to follow this  

Clark Tank 4 ga. unavailable gas?

I just bought a 2006 XR650L in Burbank and rode it to Houston. It was a fun trip and I will post later on other details. The major problem I had was the aftermarket Clark 4 gallon tank. The bike got over 45 MPG, but I hit reserve in the mountains of Arizona at 122 miles. 10 miles later the reserve was done and I was left stranded on a 4800' pass.

I assumed the bike was running very rich at the altitude the pumper Mikuni was not setup for.

This bike has extended fins and the tank actually touches the fins on both sides. I am fortunate not to have blown up in the desert heat.

Anyway, I bummed a gallon of gas from a nice ATV rider and rode on to Payson for gas. Surprise-- the bike took just over 2 gallons. It appears that almost a gallon won't come out with my setup.

It appears to me that the entire tank needs to come up. The rear to get off the fins and the front even more to get some angle for the fuel. I don't see any point in switching to a right angle petcock because I still need to move the tank up to get the right side off the fin.

I guess it could also be a vapor or air lock problem. I am using the cap with the breather tube in the stem.

This tank is stabilzed in the front with a bent metal strap.

I didn't see any problems like this in my search. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Have the Clarke 4.7 on my 2000L & ran it onto reserve at approx. 165 miles last week. About 50/50 dirt/street on the ride. Stopped right away & filled up & it took 4.3 gal. This ride was from 3,200 ft. elev to 7,500ft.

If you look in the tank you will notice that a gallon and half is stuck on the right side of tank by the frame's center bar. All you can do is lean the bike on it's side to dump the gas over and you will get another 10-20 miles out of it.

I had the same problem with my IMS 4g tank in Baja, and ended up in trouble a couple of times because of it. I just bought an acerbis 6g with petcocks on both sides because of this, but clearance may be an issue with your fins.

Two solutions that I had used: Carry extra gas. I used a camping gas bottle to carry a quart that worked in a pinch and it stored/bungied to the bike well enough. Another thing that you can do is carry a couple feet of clear fuel hose and simply siphon the gas from the right side of the tank to the left when you run out. Just drop the hose through the gas cap and hold a loop of hose high and then fill up the other side once the flow has started. Not ideal, but it is easy to carry the hose.

Good luck.

That's odd. I have the same tank. Mine hits reserve at 3.0 gallons and I start running into problems with the useable reserve at 3.6 gallons. I wonder if the previous owner installed an aftermarket petcock, or the tank wasn't venting properly at the 7400' elevation? Mine's been very consistent, but then I am nowhere near Flag's altitude anymore. I'll bet it was an awesome ride.

-Joe

Why not just permanently install hose from left to right side in the bottom of the rear tank like the bikes in the 70's did?

I will ask Clark about it.

Thanks for the ideas. My XR400 Clark tank has not had this problem.

Joe

Clarke says the dirt bike tanks with internal tunnel are designed with the expectation that dirt bike riding with slosh the gas from one side to the other. You have to stop and tip over the bike if that is not happening. Even then, you will not get the last .2 gallons out of it.

Some have installed dual petcocks. They don't have a kit to do it and don't know how it was done.

HOWEVER: They did say the plastic on the bottom right is at least 1/4 inch. You could tap a hole, thread in a fitting (one with an o-ring seal is the best) and JB weld the outside for additional support.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620033&highlight=dual+petcock

Looks like Ascerbis has the solution:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Honda/honda%20xr650r%20rally%20tanks.htm

Clarke says the dirt bike tanks with internal tunnel are designed with the expectation that dirt bike riding with slosh the gas from one side to the other. You have to stop and tip over the bike if that is not happening. Even then, you will not get the last .2 gallons out of it.

Some have installed dual petcocks. They don't have a kit to do it and don't know how it was done.

HOWEVER: They did say the plastic on the bottom right is at least 1/4 inch. You could tap a hole, thread in a fitting (one with an o-ring seal is the best) and JB weld the outside for additional support.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620033&highlight=dual+petcock

Looks like Ascerbis has the solution:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Honda/honda%20xr650r%20rally%20tanks.htm

The under-seat and rally tanks are for the R model. I thought we were discussing an L, though it would be nice to add some extra capacity under the L seat.

-Joe

With my 4 gal. clarke, today I hit reserve at 139 miles. Then the left side of the tank emptied at 158 mile.

I still had the other side to use, so I layed it over and I figure another 19 miles on my second reserve.

So thats 175 ish miles on 4 gallons. Riding hard on the street too.

I hit reserve in the mountains of Arizona at 122 miles. 10 miles later the reserve was done and I was left stranded on a 4800' pass.

I bummed a gallon of gas from a nice ATV rider and rode on to Payson for gas.

Joe

I wanna know what route you were on. How did you end up in Payson when you were on your way to Tx.? From Burbank you shoulda been on the 10 all the way through Az. and into NM and beyond. If you came out th 40, you shoulda been on the 40 all the way to Tx. also. You musta been sight seeing.:thumbsup:

I just got a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank myself. From the sounds of this, I could've saved some effort and money and bought the Turbo City 2 gallon gas can instead. I never thought that the Clarke tank wouldn't run like a stock tank.

M

I just got a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank myself. From the sounds of this, I could've saved some effort and money and bought the Turbo City 2 gallon gas can instead. I never thought that the Clarke tank wouldn't run like a stock tank.

M

Not sure if you're aware, mine is the 4 gallon.

The extra .7 of a gallon means about 35-40 miles maybe?

Not sure if you're aware, mine is the 4 gallon.

The extra .7 of a gallon means about 35-40 miles maybe?

But will I still have to slosh (lean it to the left) it around to use all of the gas?

At this point I'm not impressed.

M

But will I still have to slosh (lean it to the left) it around to use all of the gas?

At this point I'm not impressed.

M

Yes you will, but the tank is lighter and once you get a feel for when you need fuel...

I think MOST people will be happy with it.

Yes you will, but the tank is lighter and once you get a feel for when you need fuel...

I think MOST people will be happy with it.

126 miles via the poleline road to Fallon.

30 miles to town (fill up) 115 miles to Bishop CA.

I guess that I'm set?

M

some guys might think I'm crazy, but what i do now is carry about 15 inch. of hose that i keep in my tool bag, and when one side is empty i suck the other half into the petcock side. it is the only way i can get all of the gaz to the other side... hat lifting this pig back up, and see some gaz still on the left side. buy doing it this way you can get the extra 3/4 of gallon that won't transfer to the left side leaning the pig, a pain in the axx but it might get you at the pump riding instead of walking.

126 miles via the poleline road to Fallon.

30 miles to town (fill up) 115 miles to Bishop CA.

I guess that I'm set?

M

I'd say so! Fallon is only 40 miles east of me.