08' Steering Dampener

I have heard it said that a scotts can compliment the damper, but I dont have any experience with it personally.

I dont mean to hijack but I wanted to know about honda_250f_riders experience with the 10w oil. How do you like it? Did it make a big difference in the damping resistance? What do you normally ride? mx? offroad?

I ask because I am thinking about doing the same thing but I dont want the steering to feel heavy. I typically run mine damper at 4 clicks out, I figured if it felt too heavy with the 10w in it, then I could back the clicker out to help with the heaviness???

I ride MX and offroad. I don't know how much of a difference it made, haven't ridden with it that much. The dampening doesn't feel too heavy. I run it at 6 clicks out. I may try 3 or 4 and see what the difference is, then I will know what the heavier oil changed.

I ride MX and offroad. I don't know how much of a difference it made, haven't ridden with it that much. The dampening doesn't feel too heavy. I run it at 6 clicks out. I may try 3 or 4 and see what the difference is, then I will know what the heavier oil changed.

Once again sorry for the highjack. I appreciate your response honda_250f, I will go ahead and change my oil out to the 10w. I just didnt want the steering response to be too much so thats good to hear. Thanks again.

I ride off-road.

After trying the stock "so-called" stabilizer for a month, I removed it and swapped it for a Scotts Unit.

All I can say is NIGHT AND DAY difference. The Scotts unit is much better.

Just my opinion ?

hey

as you probably know, Scotts damper are made and designed by Ohlins.

and the interesting thing is that they have now a new model, that is an eveolution of the existing Ohlins/ Scotts damper, improved action is promised , but also mounting is better designed and they will sit under the handebar crossbar.

http://www.ohlins.com/ms/sdmx.asp

this damper is still "under the radar" but I've ordered one from Hardracing, have not got it yet.

I have to say that I am positive to the standard damper and it makes a difference on slippery surfaces, I like to add the new Ohlins SDMX as it will also help high speed head shake, but I have been surprised in a positive way of the standard one as all here just say it is almost a gimmick, I do feel the difference anyway.

Just something I'd like to add on for some of the people that these dampers do very little/if anything. Why would Honda put on a damper that did nothing on these bikes? they spent the $'s on the research and development to create and refine it, and the extra $'s on putting it on the bikes. If the bike worked just as good without it, we probably wouldn't see them on these bikes ?

I have seen a picture of ryan villopotos kx/f with the factory honda damper mounted on it... Not sure where I saw the picture.

I ride off-road.

After trying the stock "so-called" stabilizer for a month, I removed it and swapped it for a Scotts Unit.

All I can say is NIGHT AND DAY difference. The Scotts unit is much better.

Just my opinion :ride:

"From cyclenews:

The HPSD doesn’t assist in straight-line stability – in fact, for the first five degrees in either direction, it has no damping force whatsoever. Only after that does the HPSD kick in, offering damping both away from and back to center. Its design is intended to give “a more planted feel in turns,” thus making the HPSD more of a “turning stabilizer.”

...and later....

The comfortable stability the HPSD adds while turning is definitely noticeable, but doesn’t drastically change overall handling characteristics. We tested out both bikes with and without the damper, and we much prefer the subtle assistance of the HPSD, especially in the turns."

From my experience at speed, I can get some pretty good headshake on the straight sections of the track that might be choppy, g-outs, etc. For turns, it works fine and as described. I'm looking for something to work on the straight-sections as this is where I experience problems. The new SD 2.0MX looks VERY promising indeed. Do you know the cost in USD?

Thanks for the information on this new product!?

I definitely notice the stock dampner on my '08, without question. I havent messed with it much because Im 230 and have been riding on stock suspension therefore I havent messed with much of the suspension settings to include the steering damper. Well, I finally had my bike sprung and valved, and I reset the damper at the "stock" setting of 8 clicks out. I rode with it that way for a few motos, kind of forgot it was there, then I ran it back in to where I had it before at 4 clicks out. All I can say is I cant believe the huge difference that thing made. Immediately I notice the bike felt much more stable, pretty much everywhere on the track, the bikes handling characteristics changed for the better. You certainly dont notice its there but I bet if you take that thing off adn run a few motos and then bolt it back on, you will be glad you have it. I was very surprised that it worked that well, I never messed with it before but now that Im trying to dial in my suspension the damper definately compliments the bike. Oh, and the forks are heavenly compared to the way they were before the valving and springs.

If there is a problem keeing a honda planted in turns, then something is drastically wrong with your setup.

08 Damper = in toolbox.

Scotts = back on bike.

Bike is wayyy more planted with the Scotts and handles the rough, where it really matters so much better. I would much rather have the bike be stable and not moving around in that 5 degrees to either side than have it dampened such that it holds it to the L or R better.

Now finding a bolt to fill the holes in the frame has been a challenge....

LD