Sign in to follow this  

Removal of Smog Equipment on KLX300

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what other power retarding smog equipment Kawasaki puts on their CA Smog Legal 06 KLX300? They make the bike run like a slug right out of the crate. :ride:

I've done all the free mods but there has to be some other things you can do to make the bike perform better. My buddy has a CRF250 and he was able to remove some of the smog equipment which in turn gave him more power.

Maybe my next bike will be a 49 state model and I won't have to mess around with all the freakin restrictions. :thumbsup:

The needle in the carb, the blocked off pilot screw, and the restricter plate on the muffler are all that make it a "California" model.

Ride on

Brewster

The needle in the carb, the blocked off pilot screw, and the restricter plate on the muffler are all that make it a "California" model.

Ride on

Brewster

I've re-jetted the carb and replaced the muffler with a pro-circuit but I'm not sure about the pilot screw. What exactly do I need to do with that?:thumbsup:

Bottom of the carb, ahead of the bowl there's the pilot or fuel screw covered by a thin aluminum plug. Drill through the plug and pry it out giving access to the fuel screw.

I've re-jetted the carb and replaced the muffler with a pro-circuit but I'm not sure about the pilot screw. What exactly do I need to do with that?:ride:

Pry off the CVK carb and install a FCR on the manifold. That will make it closer to the CRF. :bonk::thumbsup::lol:

Pry off the CVK carb and install a FCR on the manifold. That will make it closer to the CRF. :ride::thumbsup::bonk:

Nice, I'll try it. Do you know what an FCR costs on average?

Pry off the CVK carb and install a FCR on the manifold. That will make it closer to the CRF. :bonk::thumbsup::lol:

Do you have any pictures of how to do this? I'm having trouble picturing the process.:ride:

It costs around $500-600. Everyone complains about the cost, and procrastinates. Then they put one on eventually, and say they were worth every penny and more.

It's a simple as calling Jerry at FSW, ordering one and swapping it out with the stock carb, hooking back up one of the throttle cables, and wheelie-ing down the street.

+1 on the fcr from Jerry at fourstroke works!!!

If you do a search on the Internet you will find old dirt bike mag story on the change out.

Sweeeeet!!! I guess that's cheaper than going out and buying a KLX450. The only thing I would have done is held off on the pipe and just used the stock one. I would rather have invested it into the the new FSW carb. Oh well, not that having a nice pipe isn't satisfying. Thanks for the info.

Bill, I always know I can count on you when it comes to answering any questions about these bikes. I shall call you "THE DIRTBIKE GURU!!!"

Bill, I always know I can count on you when it comes to answering any questions about these bikes. I shall call you "THE DIRTBIKE GURU!!!"

OK then. Follow my advice. Put a header on that thing!!!!!!!!

You need to get flow going all the way through the intake and exhaust. Any bottlenecks and it robs you of the engines potential. That stock header is a joke. Change it out as soon as you can afford to.

OK then. Follow my advice. Put a header on that thing!!!!!!!!

You need to get flow going all the way through the intake and exhaust. Any bottlenecks and it robs you of the engines potential. That stock header is a joke. Change it out as soon as you can afford to.

Do you recommend the fourstrokeworks header? I also just bought a 13t sprocket I have not put on yet. Doing it this weekend. I can't wait to feel the difference.

I'm sending in the order today!!!:thumbsup:

Cool! You won't regret it despite what some may say. If you have the option, get the one that has the nuts welded on it so you can mount your stock heatshield. (I think that Jerry is doing all of them that way now, but it used to be an option.) I burned thru two pairs of ridiing pants before jerryrigging something to clamp the sheild on. Then, when I had it in for some valve seats, Jerry just welded some on my header so it's good to go. Been on the bike for going on 7 years now with zero problems....other than burned pants. :ride: